VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    No, not a good idea. This will just make the bike taller (it's basically the same as adding more preload), it doesn't help that poor spring that is probably no longer able to carry the weight it was originally designed for. You might as well put the stock links back. It'll be cheaper and easier (well, ASSuming you still have them).

What you really need, and as has been mentioned above, is a new, stiffer spring for your combined weight. That way you can keep the lowering links and the comfortable for you reach to the ground but have enough spring force to prevent the wheel from bottoming too easily.

Given that the shock has 46K miles, I'd recommend you have it rebuilt rather than just change the spring. It will work much better that way. Adventure Power Sports (aka Sasquatch Suspension) can do that for a very reasonable price and customise the rebuild for your normal load.

Gustavo
    EJJ, RedEX, Oil Burner and 1 other person like this.
  2. prepper

prepper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mine!!!! 2002 DL1000!!!! super excited,,, see ya on the road!!!!

jm

[​IMG]

upload_2019-9-1_17-50-26.png
  3. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I am away on a 6 day trip and this pos givi tank bag zipper is now coming apart on the side that was not repaired earlier
    So at $38 a repair, I am looking for a new tank bag that isn't made by this shit company
    Must be tank lock bag as I can't go back to straps
    What are my options?
    I'd rather not give givi another cent of my money if the problem hasn't been corrected
    My repair guy said the zipper is fragile and unusual because waterproof
    Even tho the bag is not
  4. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Your Givi tanklok only works with Givi bags...........
  5. Oil Burner

Oil Burner Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    You can keep buying POS gimmicks or you could buy a simple but reliable Wolfman with straps that works for decades and 100's of K miles of riding and you can move from bike to bike w/o buying more crap... :deal

Gustavo
    hawkgt and LexLeroy like this.
  7. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love my Wolfman. Here's the bike where we stopped for a hamburger and milkshake during a test of my Gold Valve install.

[​IMG]

I ignored CV's recommended stack configuration since they spec'd more 17mm shims than were in the original stack - which was too stiff to begin with. Works great and my buddy noted that I was much faster through the corners than before the valve upgrade. Funny how that works when your forks actually function as intended.

Pay no attention to my buddy's sweet 1999 Triumph Sprint ST 955i.
    RedEX likes this.
  8. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes this is the third bike I have had the Wolfman on and I bought it used, absolutely no issues so far and well past 130,000 kms during my use

IMG_0903.JPG
  9. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snobear,

What is the cup holder looking thing near the right rear turn signal?

Jathkajoe
  10. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, after only 350 miles, my Touratech rear shock has started leaking. It has seen some washboard dirt roads and a few decent bumps, but it's never bottomed out or anything like that. Guess it's going back to be rebuilt.
  11. Krautwagen

Krautwagen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Protaper Raptor bend bars don’t quite have enough room for controls when cut to a reasonable width... Any other bar recommendations to check out for less pullback and more height? I’m not opposed to swapping out the clamps to go 1-1/8”
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't like straps or tank locks, so I use the Suzuki Brand magnetic tank bag. It is not waterproof, but has a waterproof ditty bag that velcro's to the inside.
  13. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Very clean 17yr old bike. Enjoy!
    prepper likes this.
  14. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Hey Lex, you should slap some BMW roundels on the side of that thing, just to mess with people. At first glance it looks very similar to their big K-1600 (?) sport-touring bike. "Dude, nice BMW." :D
  15. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    Years ago someone had roundel-like thingies for VStroms that said "BMW Retriever." Too funny.
    RedEX likes this.
  16. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much of a pita is it to remove a strapped tank bag to fill the tank Everytime
    I love the tank lock system
    Just that it is useless if your items fall out of it due to crappy zippers
    RedEX likes this.
  17. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yea i have the SW-Motech "City" bag on a tank-lock for the V-Strom. It has held up very well and has an excellent rain cover, too. Very convenient!

On the other hand, i have also started using a Giant Loop "Diablo" bag on the DR650. It has straps but also uses a very sturdy zipper to attach to the harness. Although GL doesn't claim it to be waterproof, its construction sure seems so. And it would be equally at home on the DR or the 'Strom. The only negative for the GL is the price, but the SW-M is equally as expensive. Pick your poison! Good luck with your choice.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  18. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    No problem. The Wolfman has two quick disconnects in front so you just pop those and flop the bag back onto the seat, leaving the two rear straps connected.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  19. WJL1984

WJL1984 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag and all I do unclip the top clips and pull the bag back. 3 second job.
  20. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    Wolf man Enduro...no need to remove for full-ups image.jpg