VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I’ve only got about 3,000 miles on my 2017 650. I’m happy with it so far (especially considering the cost) but I am 150lbs and ride solo. Just like my 09, the only real “want” I have when I ride it is for 25 more hp. I’ve had bikes with a lot more (Super Duke) and have one with less (Triumph Scrambler)...for me the sweet spot is around the 100 hp mark. I know I could get the 1000 but for some reason I just never considered it.
    davyjones and ag_streak like this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    3,000 miles! Where are you going NEXT weekend?
  3. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    My money is on your tires. I've got a TKC-80 on the front of my DL650 and it makes a god-awful noise. (However, it's sure a good tire in all other respects!) But you never know.
    Krautwagen and husky390 like this.
  4. Shep

Shep Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Haha! Well I just bought it a few months ago and I have 2 other bikes. I’ll do better!
  5. gwc27526

gwc27526 2004 Suzuki DL650

Oddometer:
    Another vote for tires. I have Anakee 3’s and the rear tire is extremely loud on my bike.

husky390 likes this.
  6. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.
  7. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm actually quite impressed with it. Bought a 19' XT for my son to use so we could ride off pavement. Suspension is surprisingly good IMO for not being adjustable in front. He doesn't care for the seat on long trips, has to use an AirHawk but that is true on my Multistrada and Tiger 800 as well. We are both 6' and air flows very well with the stock screen, no buffeting for either of us. For our purposes I wired in an ABS kill switch, dumb they don't come with one on the XT. I put on T-Rex crash bars and some LED auxiliary lights as well as a bright white low beam bulb for visibility. Shorty levers and bobbins to make chain maintenance easy and that's about it. Great machine so far. No two up for us though. It might feel a bit down on power for you coming off a 900, you might want to test both the 650 and 1000.
  8. TypeRated

TypeRated Airborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some guys in the other thread I made mentioned that it may be a bit down on power for what I want.
    In its current state of tune, the XSR is making around 120whp and is significantly lighter, but I’m not expecting nowhere near equal performance. Like Shep, I think 100hp is the sweet spot. Maybe I’ll consider the 1000, but the best deals near me have them at about $3000 more than the 650XT, which also puts it in leftover VFR1200X territory.
    ag_streak likes this.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    My '02 didn't have any bearing issues. Replaced them once at 40K because I was going on a 6 week trip around Mexico as a precaution, but they seemed fine. Those bearings went another 70K that I know off, and maybe more with newer owners I don't know.

Which tire is cupping? Fronts do that on V-Strom fairly regularly and some tires are more sensitive to load than others, resulting in more un-even wear.

Gustavo
    prepper likes this.
  10. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    Anakee 3's do howl at 35-40 mph & increase with speed
    husky390 and gwc27526 like this.
  11. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    Made some saddle bag stays over the past couple of days with some metal bits I had lying around. The silver wheel paint I had just about matches the rear subframe perfect! I don't off-road this bike other than some light gravel roads so i think they are stout enough for my application.

I'm very happy with how they turned out and I'm excited to use them in a few days!

IMG_20190908_150211.jpg IMG_20190909_105714.jpg IMG_20190909_105808.jpg MVIMG_20190909_112022.jpg IMG_20190909_112051.jpg
    GS Weaver, EJJ, davyjones and 10 others like this.
  12. 2wheelsrider

2wheelsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great
    Mr. Goodkat likes this.
  13. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    Is this where all the banned stromtroopers hang out? JK.
    cwmattox likes this.
  14. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That exactly what I’m experiencing
    gwc27526 and MuckSavage like this.
  15. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    They look really good!

Your bike is so clean. I need to wash mine. It's covered in shit from my last trip. :shog
  16. Mr. Goodkat

Mr. Goodkat The Dude abides......

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Mine is clean because the most it has seen is rain on the road. It has 11,xxx miles on it but I keep it pretty clean. I have a DR650 for the dirty trips :nod
    RedEX and AdventureTrail like this.
  17. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NOT to start another tire thread but I gotta add my K60 Heidenaus howl way more on my DL650 than they did on my KLR.
    I'm beginning to think it's as simple as 19" vs. 21" front rims. Those extra revolutions must be the difference.
    At any rate, I'm done trying to convert this to a dirt machine. Going back to something like the oems just to quite the ride. And aired down they were surprisingly ok on gravel
    RedEX likes this.
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I'm not banned from there. Yet. :D
  19. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Because I got a DL650, several months ago I joined that site and have realized that there are a lot of beginners on that site that really don't know about tires, suspension, mechanicals, etc. Really reminds me of one of the KLR sites I used to go to long ago before getting banned for awhile from it for some unknown reason. Within a month or so I had aquired my Husqvarna and never looked back. I started out not knowing my way around a mc not too long ago, so I have respect for someone willing to ask questions and learn, but there's certainly a big difference in general knowledge base on here as opposed to there.
  20. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's pretty much the same people on both sites. I think there are more new V-Strom owners on Stromtrooper since it is Strom specific.

..Tom
    Cambion, RedEX, MuckSavage and 2 others like this.