VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a bit of turnover on the Stromtrooper site but overall a pretty good repository of information all things Strom - a lot of thanks goes to Greywolf (really miss that guy - RIP)
    Cambion, davyjones, husky390 and 4 others like this.
  2. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Supporter

Oddometer:
    VStrom dot info is better, IMHO, because it's organized by subject area. Stromtrooper is like a library where the catalog numbers have been taken off of the book spines and the books are just piled randomly on the floor.

And yes, Greywolf was a cut above.
  3. Madscrapper85

Madscrapper85 There's a chance I just sharted

Oddometer:
    I really don't think you could've describe it better, I love all the info there but finding it sometimes makes me want to rip my hair out. I'm not able to produce a better system so I just sit in the corner and stare at the light....
  4. gary_a_gooner

gary_a_gooner LOST

Oddometer:
    Yea, I didn't mean to start trashing StromTrooper with my ban comment. It's definitely an excellent resource for new and old owners for V-Strom specific talk. However, there are a bunch of sub-forums that include a ton of info and it's just sometimes difficult to find.
  5. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I've found a regular google search outside Stromtroopers will usually yield excellent ST content. Searching within the forum, not so much.
    husky390 and LexLeroy like this.
  6. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stromtrooper has a Google search of the site (and elsewhere) right in the "Search" drop down.

..Tom
  7. Madscrapper85

Madscrapper85 There's a chance I just sharted

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's there but it very rarely ever works for me in a chrome browser and that's all I ever use.
  8. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Chrome all the time but rarely use the Google Search box. I just tried it (on Chrome) and yes it doesn't work that way. (using "site:..." in a google search box does work though.)

I'll report it to the administration.

..Tom
    RedEX, Madscrapper85 and Baroquenride like this.
  9. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Edit:
    Had an issues of a poorly installed shift lever due to the previous owner. Asked a couple of questions about it. But last night I was able to manhandle it apart. Answered my own questions.
  10. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    I run Chrome, and I have used the Google Search box on Stromtroopers enough that I might have worn it out. It is simply the BEST search tool on any site I have ever used. Much different from bringing up Google and trying to go direct. And a LOT different from trying to use the original search tool that is still in place on Stromtrooper.

I have been on both VSRI and Stromtrooper for a long time. I have always found Stromtrooper to be MUCH easier to navigate for daily use. VSRI is too fragmented. While that might make certain topics stand out, by the time you find that subject and then sort through the myriad of sub-subjects.....it can lead to mental overload.
    rsteiger likes this.
  11. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe I had signed up on the Stromtrooper forum first and eventually got use to how things are laid out and how to navigate to find the info I was looking for. I signed up on VSRI later and well it is arguably better organized by topic I just never found it as easy to find stuff I was looking for.

Plus I like those old T-Shirts that Stromtrooper use to sell "V-Strom: Making Bad Roads Good."
  12. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was broken but now seems to be fixed.

..Tom
    Madscrapper85 likes this.
  13. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2012 will be getting some Rox risers this week. And at some point maybe some new bars, Grips and heated grip wiring. I think the OE bend is too much of an inward angle.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  14. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good plan. Consider lowering your footpegs as well. Super cheap, easy to do, and changes the ergonomics just that much more.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  15. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Yup, you'd be surprised how much it can improve comfort to lower the footpegs just 1".

I just put Barkbusters w/Storm plastics on my 2007 Vee. These things are extremely high quality and very substantial. Good weather protection too.
    davyjones and Madscrapper85 like this.
  16. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I just got back from a trip to Colorado on the Mighty WeeStrom.

There were three other riders in the group - the locals from Boulder were on a 790 Adventure R and a BMW 650GS. The third rider was my brother from Ft. Worth and he was on his new 790 Adventure S.

We covered a little over 1000 miles in 4 days and originally we going to head up to Wyoming and Utah - we did make it to Utah.

I am happy to report the Strom did not hold any one up and often was waiting on the other bikes. It also was the only bike that did not have a mechanical issue during the ride - my brother's 790S is using about a quart of oil every 2000 miles which was pretty disappointing (looks like it may be a countershaft seal leak), the 650GS is still in the shop while they try to figure out why it dies, and the 790R had some strange rattling and starting issues.

When we got there I was eager to spend some time on the 790's and did so on the first day. Yeah in the rough dirt they will eat the Strom's lunch, the motor is simply wonderful, the electronics were wizardry at it's best (but they did interfere with the ride since people would stop to set them), but they were no where near as comfortable to ride or as flickable as the Strom on the pavement (I think that is a 21" front wheel issue). Granted I have my Strom pretty well set up to cover distance but I was just cramped on the 790's.

However, the reality is it could go anywhere they did on this trip and in a much more comfortable fashion. They key here is where we went, we pretty much split it between twisty pavement and some gravel roads. This is the stuff that I bought the Strom for - the 790's are just overkill for that type of riding but they are nice bikes and if you can afford them then I don't think you would find a more capable big bike dirt machine on the market in the US. However, if we were going to be heading out on some of the more technical riding I would have left the Strom at home and taken my WR250R will would have been a lot easier to ride than a 790 in that sort of stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good report. I think the Strom is a great bike. Lightweight enough compared to other ones and simple to use. I am glad that Suzuki did not add more power which I will seldom use and concentrated on practical things like better regulator, better ABS,... I especially like the long front fender. I imagine many don´t like it, but I do.
  18. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My 1000 is basically the perfect bike for the type of riding I do right now. I may eventually replace it with something like a big GS, but that's more a matter of preference than a need to fill a performance/capability gap.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Desperate maintenance query: does anyone know how to remove the water pump bearings on a DL1000?

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the water pump on my 2007 DL1000. I've hit a wall because I can't find a description anywhere of how to remove the bearings without the special, $559 factory tool.

Unlike the DL650 water pump, the DL1000 water pump bearings are pressed into the crankcase cover.

I'm not sure a slide hammer is a good idea 9r would even work.

I did find one video of a guy removing the water pump mechanical seal, but he already had the bearings out of the way. No clue how he removed them.
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ ^ ^ :dunno Is it described in the service manual?
    DesertDonor likes this.