VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven´t done it by myself yet, but others have suggested to use a simple bolt/washer/nut-combination to pull the bearing. Or any shop can do it for little money. New bearing back in place should be easily performed by yourself. Good luck.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  2. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the approach given is impractical. Suzuki's solution is use of a special tool that retails for $559.
    davyjones and ag_streak like this.
  3. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Bolt and washer combination won't work. No way to get the bolt head under the bearing to pull/push it out. Mechanical seal's in the way.

Mechanical seal can be pushed out...from the bearing side. Or, you can pry it out (and mar your crankcase cover a lot in the process), but then the bearings are still in place.

The only comprehensive Vstrom water pump rebuild narrative I could find anywhere was for a DL650, which has some important differences (https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/02/22/rebuilding-the-water-pump/). Also the writer only replaced the mechanical seal, he didn't touch the bearings.

Yesterday I took my crankcase cover to a shop, to have them do the job.
  4. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What did they charge to remove it?
    DesertDonor likes this.
  5. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too late to help you, but I suspect that a garden-variety pilot bearing puller that can handle 10mm ID bearings is what you needed. Here's a video that demonstrates how to use one -

davyjones likes this.
  6. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Probably $50-ish in shop labor. I just wanted this to be done, so I brought all the parts and asked them to swap the works (bearings, mechanical seal, oil seal).

A pilot bearing puller would have worked if anyone made one small enough. So far all I can find online will only go down to 1/2" inner diameter. The $559 Suzuki tool is, basically, a miniaturized pilot bearing puller.
    Hivernaut likes this.
  7. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your wonderfully documented write-ups, BTW. Do you still ride that heavily-modified DL650?
  8. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must be thinking of someone else. I am just thinking about a DL. I have a R1200RT and want to downsize.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  9. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected - there IS a miniature bearing puller available, apart from the $559 Suzuki one. Only $285 for this one from ReelSpeed:

https://reelspeed.tools/products/2019-reelspeed-miniature-bearing-puller-kit-v-3

However, it only does bearing inner diameters up to 8mm, so, not gonna work for DL1000 water pump bearings.

You can go deluxe, with this SKF TMIP puller kit that covers inner diameters from 7 to 28mm, for the low low price of only $728:

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-Skf-Tmip-7-28/dp/B01CKI9Y4M

The Harbor Freight slide hammer kit might juuuuust work:

https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-hammer-and-bearing-puller-set-5-pc-62601.html

Smallest collet size listed is 3/8", which is about 9.5mm...just under the 10mm ID of the water pump bearings. So this one may be a winner.

However, I wasn't super interested in paying $60-ish for a tool I'd use exactly once, yet again.

Eventually I may need to swap wheel bearings, but I'll worry about that when the time comes. So far the original wheel bearings are just peachy.
  10. BigBrian

BigBrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went down to the dealer yesterday to look at a leftover V-Strom 1000.

Depending on what the dealer wants to give me for my Ducati, I might be adding it to my fleet.
  11. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over here in the US. Looking to get some side bags aka saddlebags for my 2013 Vstrom 650.

Really like the Kriega OS panniers, though 250$ per plus 90$ for the panels plus a frame is steep.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good frame to buy, today, that I could use for whatever bags I end up wanting? Probably going to buy a frame today, and 1 bag next month then another in November.

Only limitation is no Shad. I bought a set for my Honda NC500X at one point, they shipped me the wrong frame entirely, refused to admit it and took 6+ months to refund part of my money (seriously, the frame was an inch out of spec for my never-dropped Honda).
  12. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some inmate help - my riding buddy crashed his 2014 VStrom 1000 last June, and he has started the process of piecing it back together.

One of the final pieces he needs to replace is his radiator - Part #17710-31J00. Cheapest replacement we can find is around the $500 price for a new one.

Any fellow StormTroopers know where a used radiator can be found?

Thank you for the assist!
  13. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Why do you need a frame? Just buy something like the Ortlieb saddlebags, that's what they are - saddlebags - you throw them over the seat, attach the straps and go. If you are worried about the left side making contact with the wheel, you could install a simple spacer on that side or buy one of those smaller soft luggage racks/spacers (AdventureTech, Givi, HT, SW-Motech, etc. make some options), but that sort of seems to defy the purpose of going with soft bags to save weight and bulk over a hard luggage option.

There used to be a guy on the V-Strom forums named Dan Vesel who made these spacers for the left side:
    [​IMG]

Can't find his contact info right now, but I am sure you can find it digging through Stromtroopes or vstrom.info.

Gustavo
    davyjones and RedEX like this.
  14. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Agree, and here's a possible alternative if you want to go with more generic (i.e., less expensive) dry bag alternatives (need to read this and a couple of follow-on posts): https://advrider.com/f/threads/mini...250cc-and-under.201349/page-676#post-38424959
  15. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apologies, my request wasn't clear. I'm not sure what I want to put on the bike yet, but it will either be a simple Kriega drypack, or a pannier system. In the former case, nothing else needed. In the latter, I'll be mounting bags of some flavor which means I need a frame.
  16. MTlost

MTlost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 DL650 that works great except that once it gets fully warmed up it does not like to idle and will miss on one cylinder till the revs come up to about 2500 rpm.
    Is this common, how do I fix this???

Thank you for any help or ideas, this forum has been great for me to learn from!!!
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Have the valves ever been inspected?
  18. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Got my crankcase cover back from the shop today, with new waterpump consumables (bearings, oil seal, mechanical seal) installed. They did a superb job. Only charged me half an hour labor, about $50 total. Well worth it.
  19. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    i bought a sit & fly, put it over my suzuki gel seat and while probably not the the best go everyone, it’s the best $27 i’ve spent yet. i’m no longer looking to replace the seat. makes 400 mi days much easier.

side note: for those with buffering issues. i to suffered from my head bobbing around all day. a few rides i just took the windshield off an it was beautiful. i recently decided it was time to replace my old hjc modular. i was planing to get another hjc but the guy at the helmet shop. he suggested a scorpion. he even let me test ride it.

i bought it and, for me, difference was amazing. so if possible borrow a different kind of helmet before spending a bunch on windshields
    RedEX and DesertDonor like this.
  20. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Intake leak somewhere?