VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Live my scorpion exo500
    But she is getting old
    Thinking of getting a exo1200
    Which did u pickup?

As for my 804/5 combo
    I have over 3k on them now
    I like them and expect another 2k or so
    I will be going back to the 705's when the 805's are consumed, just because I ha e them sitting here already in the garage

KIMG3502.jpg
  2. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013 Vstrom 650 - I didn't get a manual and am struggling with the interface. Currently it displays temp, MPH, fuel, total odo (I can cycle through various trip stuff).

I know it's got a clock hidden somewhere but how the heck do I make it show? I find it really useful in general.
  3. Madscrapper85

Madscrapper85 There's a chance I just sharted

Oddometer:
    The menu button on the front of the left handle bar controls (was flash to pass on the gen1) will cycle through the trips, hold it for I think 3 secs or so and the temp with change to time.
    Wreckster likes this.
  4. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    So a few years ago I built a Rally Raid Level 3 (they call it a Level 2 now) CB500X. Part of that build was to add about 30mm more suspension travel on the front forks and install a drop in cartridge kit with a set of springs matched for your weight. I believe the way they gained the extra stroke was the installation of a new damper rod which came as part of the kit.

I have seen posts where people have added stroke on their Wee suspension by using different front forks but I am wondering if anyone has tried to mess with the length of the damper rod. The rear end seems pretty straight forward. Cogent Dynamics sells a longer stroke shock that can be used to increase the travel - I also sent in a request to them about lengthening the front end of the bike.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '04 Wee has a hybrid fork comprised of DR650 damper rods and upper tubes, the rest being original. This "can" add several inches of travel in theory. And must add a fair bit of length. The real limit becomes the distance between upper and lower slide bushings. At max extension the bushings are so close that the fork would get prone to binding. I added spacers under the top of the damper rod to limit the added travel to about 1.5 inches IIRC. The height gains just a bit more than that with the uppers well above the triple. It has been this way for 30 or 35K miles and thousands on gravel, Dempster, Dalton, etc. I like it, but I did it out of necessity, not really in need of more travel. For a little more ridiculous description:
    https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/291562-2015-re-strom-overview-alaska-test.html

I think somewhere I saw that somebody simply welded additional length to stock dampers.
    davyjones and rsteiger like this.
  6. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw some DR650 fork conversions and that is a bit more than what I would like to go.

I am thinking I could probably buy a set of damper rods and a case of beer then drop them off at work and have one of our machinists at work add the extra inch in the damper rod.
  7. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    What’s up with those little plastic fasteners on the plastics? Are you supposed to have a bunch of them on hand so you can replace the ones you break when you take off the dash?

2012 dl650
  10. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you removing them? Have yet to break any. Press the center in and pull the fastener out. Easier to see how they work when you have one more out.
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Ooookaaaay, that was not how I was removing them....
  12. NS-Strom

NS-Strom n00b

Oddometer:
    how many 804/805 owners have destroyed their front fender because they did not install the riser kit?
  13. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    can’t remember the model. it’s the modular without the visor
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  14. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pulled the fuel pump yesterday and replaced the regulator and lower screen and it's running great but noticed I have a fork seal leaking. Guess it's time to pull the forks and replace oil and seals.
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before taking things apart and spending money for new seals try cleaning them first. "Sealmate" is a product that is designed to clean fork seals and you can make the cleaner yourself.

..Tom
  16. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Finally got to ride this weekend with my new madstadt windshield. Nice! Took care of almost all the buffeting. Only thing is now my gas mileage isn’t doing too well....need to get out again, it was very windy the last 2 days.
  17. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed mine as well. Quite impressed with how smooth the airflow is. Now I just need to make some deflectors.
    Little Bike likes this.
  18. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    60,000 miles on my 2002 V-strom 1000, totally trouble free, followed by 27,000 miles trouble free on my 2014 V-strom 1000! Gotta love-em! Like I tell People....100mph on gravel roads and Peg down on pavement!!!
    Hivernaut, davyjones, Lzeplin and 3 others like this.
  19. SirWompus

SirWompus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    davyjones likes this.
  20. slugsmasher

slugsmasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RedEX likes this.