1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the Suzuki set since I got over 27,000 km on the OEM. Only issue with it was that the chain was too long. A bit of a surprise for OEM kit that was listed for my year, make and model. You'd figure they would sell the correct length to go with the sprockets in the same box.
  2. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    That doesn't seem to be a "premium" chain, but I have to admit I have no first hand experience.

FWIW, I think a 650 should be able to get more than 16K out of a chain/sprocket set. My V-Strom is still running the OEM chain/sprockets at 36K and I only do minimal maintenance. I do clean it after riding off-road, but usually it's just a squirt of "lube" after long rides. I use a PTFE based "lube" that doesn't attract dirt/grime, so it minimizes wear. My Versys went 30K on the OEM set.

This is a good place to buy chains/sprockets:
    https://sprocketcenter.com/street-s...ice-of-chain-suzuki-dl-650-v-strom-07-18.html

EDIT - Looks like @rsteiger beat me to it...

Gustavo
    davyjones and rsteiger like this.
  4. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer:
    Crazy, 2-up with a top box but no side cases. 260 miles and I got 48mpg, best tank ever on the DL1000 and that's after I installed a PCFC running their map for stock bikes. Granted a lot of this tank was 55-65mph but still. Crazy good.
    davyjones, Baroquenride and RedEX like this.
  5. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go with a quality chain
    Did would be my choice
    This happened to me as well
    And I didn't catch it until after I riveted it
    Errr
  6. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't the OEM chain a continuous chain requiring swingarm removal?

I use DID.
  7. Wild45

Wild45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning stromers! I have a 2008 dl650 with just over 20k miles. I'm planning on going over the whole bike before I do the continental divide next summer. Was wondering if there are any performance upgrades to be recommended while I have it all apart to service it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:

??

It may be continuous but all I did was use a tool to break the chain when replacing it. Typically on my bikes I use a rivet master link on any thing over 50hp and clip type master on my smaller bikes.
    RedEX likes this.
  9. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the guarding is in place so you are good there.

Probably a fork brace and then get the suspension setup for your weight and maybe update to one of the drop in cartridge kits on the forks.

If that bike has the original rear shock you may want to upgrade that or have it rebuilt - I don't believe they are serviceable but there are some shops that will rebuild them and make them serviceable.

For the suspension I have been happy with the Cogent Dynamics stuff.
  10. Wild45

Wild45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into suspension upgrades!
  11. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Anyone here used a headlight guard for their strom? Useful/needed or just a cool farkle?
  12. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Ravetech one on my 2018 DL650 XT....

For most of the riding I do it really serves no function other than cast a pattern of bars on the road when I ride at night. I bought it since I was already ordering a radiator guard and I don't recall the headlight guard being very expensive. That and I was also heading to Colorado and would be doing some off pavement riding with some potential big bike roosters so I thought better safe than sorry.

The reality is I never had one on my 2009 DL650 and I put 65,000 miles on that thing and never had an issue.

But WTH it makes some people think I am riding a KTM or BMW when I swing by a Starbucks for my coffee.
    tjzondrz likes this.
  13. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:

Which is what really matters anyway. :D
    rsteiger likes this.
  14. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess that's why they included 2 master links. One for riveting practice and one for when you realize that Suzuki doesn't know how long their chains are
    Brutalguyracing and rsteiger like this.
  15. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Yup. Put your money in suspension & nik-nak stuff, VOLTAGE GAUGE, heated grips, phone charge port, comfort, etc. I see yours is a 2008. More stator issues with the '08. It was the first year they upped the alt. output. If it were me, I'd take the left cover off & inspect the individual coils for overheating. Having a V. monitor will tell you of an approaching problem.
    It isn't recommended to squeeze more power out of the engine. They seem to be designed to a price point. Engine mods will decrease reliability.
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Suzuki don't make chains, they buy them in from some chain manufacturer that won the bid for that part. Most chains come in 120 link lengths, since they can be used in multiple applications. Unless the vendor specifies that they can pre-cut it to your desired length when you order it (like Sprocket Center does when you buy a kit, they adjust the length based on the sprockets you ordered for a specific bike), it will always require removal of some links. It makes sense, when DID/RK/etc. package the chain, they don't know which bike it will go to or how the bike is geared. It's not sold as a bike specific item.

Gustavo
    V-Tom likes this.
  17. Wild45

Wild45 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good info. I have added the heat grips, and USB charger. Might look into exhaust mainly to reduce a few pounds. And upgrade suspension. Thanks for the info on engine. Might just replace a few parts, but keep them OEM. ( depends on what the top ends look like when I dig into them). Maybe rebuild clutch before the big trip.
  18. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    If ridden in a "Normal" manor, the clutch will go a long ways. There is an adjustment where the front sprocket is. Loosen the cable to get too much slack, then adjust that set screw below. Book says 1/4 turn free play. Then readjust the cable.
    Go here, much reading to do. stromtrooper.com
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    For that trip with all the gravel/dirt roads, I wouldn't touch the engine at all. Put in a new (stock) air filter. Consider upgrading the forks and shock - although even that may not be strictly necessary. Make sure the suspension is in good condition, new fork oil, etc. for sure. Add some gaiters to the forks. Replace the steering head bearings and think about a steering damper.

Lower gearing via sprocket changes might be on the cards too - although people have gone to some pretty hairy places on a weestrom with no major changes to OE equipment except tires.

Comfort/safety stuff would include possibly heated grips, engine bars, seat, screen, hand guards, etc.

Mud flaps, radiator guards and a skid plate (not for sliding over rocks but to protect the front header and oil filter) would round out my list.
  20. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Not continuous, at least when I bought one a few months ago. There's an OEM kit with both sprockets and a chain. You'll likely need to shorten the chain. If you use the Google effectively, you'll find a few dealers have the kit at a favorable price compared to buying chain and sprockets separately.

Vinnie