1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. riverover

riverover n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have pictures of their 2014 1000 or newer with sw motech sys 30 bags ?? Thanks
  2. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I opted to go the touch up paint route.

Before

B60A5503-54A5-4803-93A8-60045E15D47D.jpeg

After

66D6A047-BF97-4E14-BC3C-AFC10CEF938F.jpeg
  3. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Just like new.
    Thumpercrazee likes this.
  4. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I opted for the sticker route...:0-0
    [​IMG]
    Motor7, dtysdalx2, 4tracker and 11 others like this.
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    So the other day I noticed my 2004 650 fairing was pretty loose and discovered the 2 bolts holding it in the steering stem area were loose so I did what any red-blooded American would do and tightened the crap outta them. Today I go for an exploratory ride and I feel like my steering is tighter, almost like my buddy's VStrom with a fork brace, if you will. I haven't looked at it yet, but did I tighten them too much and create additional torque on the steering stem bearings?
  6. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m confused as to the bolts you are referring to. Post pic of said bolts
    VDZride likes this.
  7. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doubtful.. It has been awhile but I had that happen on my 2009 DL650. In my case I lost one of the bolts. Went to the hardware store and bought some replacements with locknuts. Notice a change in handling right after the fairing was firmly bolted back in place as well... and I already had a fork brace.

I believe what you were feeling before is that big old fairing flopping around affecting the front end of the bike. probably crept up on you and you never really noticing it happening until it got bad.
    Motor7 and Motomantra like this.
  8. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 DL650 and 2018 DR650. Actually there is some overlap, and I feel like some days it's just, "flip a coin" as to which bike to ride! Personally, the V-Strom/DL650 is already the bike for my "adventure riding" and if I could only choose one, I'd keep the Strom. It's a great "Swiss army knife" and has taken me on miles and miles of great adventures. Good luck, you can't go wrong!
    JackBurns40 likes this.
  9. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've seen some real shit shows on Ophir.

IMO a DRZ is kinda an ideal Ophir kinda bike.
    RedEX likes this.
  11. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All that scuff said was “my dumbass dropped my five month old motorcycle.”

If I start taking it on trails at some point and it picks up some legit scars, I will probably leave them.;)
    RedEX likes this.
  12. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    my bars with scars..
    both sides,same day, two different driveways.
    showing my brand new bike to riding buds.
    no actual damage, but I got it out of my system..
    I am in the horizontal club, with witnesses.
    Sully
    RedEX, davyjones and prepper like this.
  13. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the OEM suspension in the post 2011 (Gen. II?) Wees better than the pre-2012? My '09 needs suspension work, but I'm thinking of just upgrading to a newer model. Tks.
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Better, as in improved components? No. It's the same type of suspension all around. What is different is the calibration of both forks and shock. It's setup with better damping than the Wee1. If you are over 200 lbs, it's still going to be too soft, but not as bad as the original version was.

There may be other things that make you choose a newer one over the one you have, but realistically, it will also need suspension work if you want better than stock suspension performance.

Gustavo
    eakins, V-Tom, rsteiger and 1 other person like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    No all the same more or less.
    The core suspension tech has not changed.

Now I will say the 2012+ is a better bike vs my 04 (smoother motor, better fairing) but expect to upgrade the suspension on any year.

If your 09 is dialed otherwise then just update the suspension
    Davidprej likes this.
  16. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've dropped two bikes at my house before I'd even ridden them. I had a brand new 2006 ST-1300 delivered to my house by the dealer. I dropped it putting it in the garage, but luckily it fell over on a plastic trash can so no damage. Last year I dropped my brand new 2019 V-Strom 650, also while putting it in the garage. I picked it up from the dealer in my truck and drove it home. I managed to back it out of the truck with no problem, but I don't think I fully deployed the side stand and when I turned to walk away it fell on the back of my legs and pinned me to the floor. Again, no damage, but I felt like a dumbass trying to get out from under the bike without letting anything hit the floor.
  17. MarkVeeMarkADV

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I have had several of my motos try to mount me as well! I learned to NOT stand beside/move my
    bikes when not sitting on the seat. My first 'busa cost me a $500 side fairing when I rolled it forward at a gas
    stop, while off the bike on the leftside, I couldnt hold her AND my helmet as she leaned to the right side.
    The silence was deadly,a Harley rider helped me to stand it back up. His comment,"that sucks". will ring in
    my ears and memory forever.
    Again, I welcome any to the horizontal club, which doesnt require injury...

Ride Safe.
    and often.
    Sully
    Nandoclp, RedEX and Davidprej like this.
  18. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    My 2014 Vstrom takes frequent dirt naps. Thankfully almost all at low speed and without injury. (usually fully loaded as well) my wife has become an expert at directing me on the best ways to pick it back up. (while she supervises of course.)
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two things that help when rolling bikes around garages or gas stations... always move it standing on the clutch side with the kickstand already down and fully forward, so if it starts to go you have a chance of catching it via kickstand; and before settling it on the kickstand always kick the stand fully forward to ensure it hasn't slightly folded back and is setting up to collapse as soon as the bike weight leans on it. I also don't roll bikes around with my helmet balanced on the mirrors or on the seat, if the helmet starts to go it's almost instinct to try and catch it and you have but two arms so somethings gonna go.

Doesn't work for shit with bikes with auto retracting kickstands though!
    RedEX likes this.
  20. MarkVeeMarkADV

Oddometer:
    //\\
    \\//
    Of course I saved my helmet,not my 'busa. MeeZah,how do you know bout that? ..
    there was no video of my phukup.