Vuz Moto Motorcycle Tent

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fastring, Jun 7, 2018.

1. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Melensdad likes this.
  2. Themartymac

Themartymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try and see what the packed size is. I have a virtually identical tent, and I love it for multi-day truck camping, but for me it's just too big for bike camping unless you are a trailer puller. It's 15lbs (20 with a ground tarp and after a good rainstorm), 24"x14"x14" packed, needs 2 people to set up comfortably and just doesn't pack down small enough to be practical for me when solo, but YMMV. It is a great style if the wife rides with you too and wants some space and comfort on the road.

Pros to that size/style:
    -Can stand up inside (or at least almost)
    -Room to move & dress with 2 ppl inside, great for full sized cots or double/queen air beds for glamping
    -Vestibule holds tons and a good place to dry gear, or sit under the awning during wet weather

Cons:
    -Ties up a lot of cargo space and weight capacity on the bike
    -Needs 2 to set up comfortably or quickly in the rain/etc.
    -Not fully self-supporting, must be fully staked to use vestibule
    -Definitely a sail in the strong wind; you will need to stake it down well all round including guy lines or it's gonna take off
    Jim K. likes this.
  3. Warrior102

Warrior102 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what did you decide on OP? I went to Dirtdaz in NY and a half dozen folks had Redverz motorcycle tents, they made my tent look like a sardine can. Six hundred bucks seems a bit rich so I ordered one of the Vuz Moto ones you linked to, the packed size is 14" X 11" X 9" and weighs under 14lbs, not unreasonable for what it brings to the table IMHO. I only got a 10% coupon though and free shipping, I'll report back when it arrives.
    Undocumented likes this.
  4. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. Undocumented

Undocumented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I contacted Vuz about the tent. The information I received was a little more than I learned here. Dimensions.
    It is a dome tent, poles going through tubes at top and clips lower on the fly. The inner tent clips to the outer.
    I requested more detailed pics. Would be nice to see a vid on setting it up?
    For some reason I want to like it.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. wolftrax

wolftrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awaiting your review, almost pulled the trigger on this one as well. Just not a lot of information about it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    blender likes this.
  7. Warrior102

Oddometer:
    Here is a Redverz knock off for $299 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSAGNXY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=AWRH7FWGZ5PM7&psc=1 Whar sold me on the Vuz was it looks self-supporting where the Redverz relies on guy ropes to pull it up and support it also the Vus is a bit shorter in length and pack size. I'll report back if I ever receive it, Amazon has it for $299 -5% coupon and Prime shipping, should have stuck with Amazon I would have had it Wednesday.
    atravlr likes this.
  8. Themartymac

Themartymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just be aware that only the living quarters are dome style/self-supporting. The vestibule must be staked and the opposing side of the dome must be staked to keep the vestibule up. That pole on the front of the vestibule does not connect to the main dome section, it just keeps the shape of the vestibule. It can be done with 4 stakes in no wind. You'll need 8-12 to fully secure it all in the wind.
  9. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    I find the Vuz to be an interesting option to the Redverz. If you like small lightweight tents the Vuz wouldn’t be a good choice.
    Yes the vestibule hoop needs staked out. The sleeping area has dome poles and appears to have another hoop.Like you say, gonna need a bunch of stakes.
    But have lots of room.
  10. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Well I just ordered one on Amazon. Will be here Thursday.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk
    Undocumented likes this.
  11. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Some quick comments on my Himalayan Hotel. Comes in a very nice heavy compression sack that looks very durable. The bag size is 24" long and 10" in diameter. The tent and all it's comments comes in @ 13.6 lbs.
    The hardest part of assembly was getting it laid out. For some reason I had a difficult time getting the floor on the bottom. Including my doh moment with the floor it took 18 minutes and 47 seconds to erect, and yes I didn't use the directions which are pretty useless anyways. I suspect after a few pitches this tent will go up in less than 10 minutes. It can be erected with only 2 stakes if your so inclined.
    Once up it's a big tent. The inner tent has plenty if room although I am a little disappointed in the head room. I'm 6'1" and I have to stoop a little to move around except in the very center where the height is approximately 72".
    Quality wise it reminds me a lot of a Coleman tent. Heavy bathtub floor, taped seams, ok stitching and fabric. I've have a Coleman Cobra 2 that's still in service after 15 years. So with care this tent should give years of service. Comes with aluminum poles and green(try to find em in the grass) groundhog style stakes.
    All in all seems to be a sturdy roomy tent for half the price of the competition. Value will be measured in reliability and only time will tell.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    On set up, fly goes up first and then inner tent?
    How was getting it back in the bag?
  13. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    The fly is already attached to the fly with toggles. Haven't attempted to put it back in the bag.

14. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    The “liner” is permanently attached to the fly- one floor, or is it removable? Just trying to figure alternative packing options.
  15. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    The inner tent is detachable from the fly. So you can pitch the fly by itself but the inner tent can only be pitched with the fly. The floor is permanently attached to the inner tent and the garage has no floor. I was thinking it would be really easy to lighten everything up by pitching a one man solo under the fly.
    BTW, it went back in the bag first try, np problem.

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  16. Warrior102

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Wolftrax I'm still waiting on mine, tracking shows Monday. Amazon for the win by a mile! Looks good and not nearly as big as the Redverz from the look of it, the bag is a nice touch. Pick up a couple of ground cloths and you're golden.
  17. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Not as big as rhe Redverz? Set up or packed?
  18. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    This tent is huge. I went out and measured mine. It's 7' x 18'6". Going to take it down and return it. Just to big for solo use.

uski likes this.
  19. Undocumented

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. I would guess no stealth camping with it.
    uski and Be Gone For Good like this.
  20. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huge help all. Thank you very much for posting Wolf. I am headed to Overland Expo East and was thinking of bring this just to have a place to go to shower, change, hang out when in the middle of a packed field.

I am not completely sold but it is going into my Amazon cart tonight for further consideration.