W Trans America Trail GPS tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by retired motoman, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Since you're referencing my pics and RR then I'll chime in. I didn't mind buying the maps and converting them. It kept my mind on the trip and aware of the different towns we'd be passing through as I was plotting.

Also, the rerouting in Oregon is something that will be faced no matter how he tries to update the route. Most of the roads are logging roads and thus change on a regular basis. The good thing is that there are tons of available roads to use to get where you need to go.

Overall I think the whole process of planning a TAT trip is exciting and a great learning experience. The GPS plotting is all part of it.
  2. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

4. ktm530russ

ktm530russ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for the feedback, and you are right... converting and planning is half the fun.:1drink I withdraw my request for "pre-done" gps tracks...
    I would like to find out as I am planning, some of the "more interesting" alternate routes off of the "real" TAT...
    I have 2.5 years to get ready (planning on Aug/Sept 2011) for various reasons... I am also planning extended time, so might spend an extra week or so in Oregon and try to scout out more "permanent" FS roads and trails for this section. Thanks again for your replies!
  5. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    I would certainly recommend stopping by Crater Lake in Oregon (very close to the trail) and the White Rim Trail in UT. I didn't get an opportunity to go to the White Rim Trail but I've seen some pics and it looks really incredible.
  6. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:

:1drink
  7. big-t

big-t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope to finish the western part of the trail soon and agree with most that you should make your own tracks,but a "road closed" listing by state would certainly make planning a bit easier.

Maybe something like this...

State.......... Date ............ Road ...................... Reason

CO ............ Sept 08......... Black Bear Rd ............ Road terminates at new well site
  8. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps the Oregon portion of the TAT is no longer passable and riders should make thier own plans.

I've had loads of success cross referencing Mapsource, the Benchmark Atlas, the NF maps for each district and Google Earth. Plan your own ride.
  9. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the western TAT in Sept - Oct 2007.

Yes, I had problems in Oregon.... nothing I couldn't figure out.

That state was the most problematic I had when I routed it in Mapsource.... and it proved far and away to be the hardest to follow on the ground.

I offered Sam my track logs and routes along with notes on where I had problems following his directions. He accepted my offer of routes/tracks for Oregon as he is planning on going out there summer of 2009 to work on updating his route to account for the closures and reroutes.

So yes, it is being addressed, but no, you shouldn't worry too much about riding what we have right now.

I made it, and I had only been in Oregon once before in my life - Trask Mt in 1992 - where I broke my wrist.

If you are unsure of where to go, follow the most traveled road, keep an eye on the GPS as to where you are at vs where you want to be, and work your way in that direction. It's an Adventure, right? :ricky
  10. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    For over two years so have many others. Yet he still accepts your 32 dollars for roll charts and maps that he refuses to update.

You will have as much fun if you do this. Take a map, draw a line between Port Orford and Crater Lake. Make a second line between Crater Lake and Lakeview. Navigate at will.
  11. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:
    Yea, the routing is not that hard since there are so many roads that traverse through the state. And if you go during the summer, don't be surprised if you have to re-route due to forest fires.
  12. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Newer updates later......
  13. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Copied and saved :thumb.

I think you've offered a brilliant and creative solution. Well done. :bow

I've bought the maps all the way through OR, even though at this time we've gotten through 2/3 of UT, so far. I debated holding out buying them all because of reported problems in OR, but it didn't sound like there were updates forthcoming, plus, I'm not averse to doing some virtual pre-running via Google-Earth, and real-time re-routing. Regardless, it's good to hear there will be some route maintenance. I'll keep my eye out for the updated OR map/rollchart if it comes out before we get there.
  14. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    We did the TAT this past August. A few of us are talking about going back up to Oregon, to come up with new routes to bypass the closed routes.
  15. ktm530russ

ktm530russ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't purchased the TAT maps yet, since I am still just over 2 years from my planned departure. I did find something that might be helpful, not quite sure. It is an online Topo map program, I figure this might help confirm actual "through" roads. I hope some of you that have rode the Oregon TAT recently can confirm this.
    The link is:
    http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/
    If you zoom in far enough, and then select "MyTopo" the trails and roads show up. A LOT of them have black bars across the roads, which I am assuming means they have been closed? This is what I would like to confirm. When I purchase the TAT maps, I plan on overlaying them on these to see which routes "go through".

Sample picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlsmith999/3258381511/

Tenative depature date of mid-August, 2011, plan on a 45-60 day trip from Oregon coast to Atlantic coast. I really don't want to do this solo, so... anyone else thinking of running the TAT in this timeframe? Planning on riding fairly light on a KTM530 the whole way (still upgrading and gear purchasing).
    I am hopeful that Sam is true to his word of updating the Oregon TAT this summer...
  16. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't trust any maps to tell you whether roads are closed or not.

Hardly anything online or in print is ever accurate or current enough to plan a trip by.

Just my 1 cent.
  17. Brent4ADV

Oddometer:

Just a little amendment for problem 5. The last turn off you can make before the landslide is at mile 536.48. You go straight instead of taking a left and follow 3348 up to NF-33, take a left on NF-33 then that will bring you down to 541.94 and your back on the trail.
  18. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that update Brent and the other info you provided in your Tat thread.
  19. BlueBuell

BlueBuell Banned

Oddometer:
    Howdy - maps are being purchased for our Mid-June TAT ride,
    but before I start creating routes on my own, would anyone have routes or tracks to share with me?
    We are doing Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah.
    Cheers!
    PN, Austin TX

[​IMG]
    Dan Diego likes this.
  20. Ghilly

Ghilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking the map and GPS option is also better suited to me than the roll charts. Where can I get the routes for my GPS. I will get the maps from the USGS.

Thanks,
    Ghilly:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.