W Trans America Trail GPS tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by retired motoman, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    KTM530russ - :thumb

Comparison is good. And I'm sure you got a map in your pocket too when out in the boondocks. Most of us would. But if you have GPS function, charts and maps become secondary.

Maybe they like to wash their riding gear with a rock? It works but why if you have something better. Save the rocks for last resort.

The hard way doesn't always make it the best way.

I raced enduros for over 30 years (well before computers were the norm) And I still carry the roll chart and a clock as backup on time keepers but when the ICO is programed and running I can pay more attention to the trail instead of advancing the rollchart.

Yea - the 21st centry! :lol3
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Computers ruined enduros! Did you have one of my clocks?
  3. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Sorry no, I started with ICO in the mid 80's when it would just give you a corrected mileage to read and compare it to your mechanical odo, tried a pacemaker once and went back to ICO.

I agree to a point that computers killed timekeeping They took most of teh thinking out of it. People got lazy. My son is an example, he hated me trying to teach him time keeping. I know many guys that cant ride a time keeper with out one. and if you want to be competitive you "Almost" have to have it to minimize time looking down.
    The next generation will have lights :lol3, Green go - your late, yellow on time - be careful, Red - slow down you hot. But that topic is for another thread.

KTM530russ make a good point, watching that track is much easier than relying on the odometer (especially considering errors to correct if you go too far off course)
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prior to that my blue "Combo" was the national standard. It had Roll Chart on left and 1 inch minutes and seconds clock or right.

ICO camo out with their pacer but that was not best.

I then came out with 8 digit comuter. It had pacer, mileage of next possible, and seconds. You still needed odo. Unlike ICO which was integrated, mine was descrete and too expensive. I got a real job in Aerospace and quit making electronics.

Computers took all the advantage away from smart guys like Burleson, Don Sanford from TX, and me. Sanford was the best, Burleson was a close second. Dick was on the minute behind me at a national and got fourth overall with no odo. That takes a very smart guy!
  5. VTRally

VTRally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paper roll charts are not the only thing that constitutes a "paper backup" the same poster that you quoted also said you should have maps.
    You conveniently forgot to include the rest of the sentence but I'll do it here so all can see how you illustrated my point perfectly.

My friend it is not I who struggle with English it is you.

6. Black Mesa Offroad

Black Mesa Offroad BRP Pilot

Oddometer:
    Oh well and it sure wasn't my command of the language that's at fault and you can still blow it out your yankee ass as far as I'm concerned:rofl
  7. ktm530russ

ktm530russ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess our discussion is another "religious" topic, sorta like OIL, or TIRES.:rofl

I was really only stating that MY preference is GPS, and WAY back in this thread, wanted to see if Sam or some other Inmates could provide these GPS tracks for loading into our units, AFTER I purchase the TAT maps.:ear

Those that want to use Roll-charts, GREAT! We will just agree to dis-agree on the usefulness of them...:freaky

Time to turn the burner down, and let the flames die out.... :kumbaya
    In the end, I think we all are of a similar opinion that:

1: a LOT of work was put into the TAT, so support that effort.
    2: This Trail needs a LOT of updating, and we would really like to see the issues corrected on Sam's TAT maps, vs. finding and incorporating the "fixes" from posts on this and other forums (duplicating effort MANY times over, missing a vital re-route, etc.).
    3: Have Sam provide GPS tracks with his TAT maps. (see the MANY posts above regarding these being a SUPPLEMENT to the TAT maps, even though they are available on the Internet, about 80% anyway, they do NOT replace the valuable information that the TAT maps provide.)

See you on the trails.....
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Idea but the question is how?

I guess Sam could e-mail files with tracks for each state to Map purchasers but my guess is that he doesn't have them. Also people can't seem to write down e-mail address so you can read them, I have had lots of problems with Mex2Can. Sometimes it take me three trys then on some I end up calling.
  9. VTRally

VTRally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no argument with you. You stated my point was incorrect and I showed you otherwise :confused

I don't think we are way off topic, certainly some rabbit trails but I think the divide is quite clear between those who view tracks as an asset to supplement riding the TAT and those that think if you ask for them that automatically means you are a pirating free loader who doesn't care about Sam. There appears to be no middle ground .
    I am done here but I will close with this.

If I ever ride Sam's TAT I will buy the maps from Sam. I would expect everyone else to do the same. But those of you who scream foul just because some one wants tracks need to cool it, a lot.
    EnduroRdr likes this.
  10. Black Mesa Offroad

Black Mesa Offroad BRP Pilot

Oddometer:
    And??????????????

I got your point the first freaking time and yes, I made a mistake, big freaking deal but I still don't like you. Hell, I don't like anyone. I don't even like myself and hope one of these days I can divorce myself, only question is who gets half of everything..........
  11. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sanford usually knew where the checkpoints were, either by sneaking around the course beforehand or by getting one of the sponsoring club members to blurt out some pertinent info... He was smart, but he was also prone to cheating...there are numerous stories about his exploits from the mid to late 70's when he and I rode the TSCEC and a few nationals...
  12. VTRally

VTRally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. Enjoy the ride. :ricky
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutly true however he was the source of most of the rumors. Nothing better than psyphing out the competition. We worked very hard at perfecting cheating. I wrote a book titled "Riding Possibles or how to cheat without getting caught". My best ever was a 12th over all at the Cloudcroft National. I was 20 minutes early at one point and zeroed the next check by about 2 seconds. My two worst was caught 7 minutes early in the Tecate 500, and losing the overall in a Greenhorn 500 with a perfect 0-0 on Sunday afternoon when I hit a check 2 minutes early and droped to about 100 overall.

Don and I were at the Washington national at the riders meeting. I saw a checker leaving with the check sign facing up in his car. I noted the mileage. Don and I were spot on at that mileage but no check. At the awards presentation I complained to the referee. He noted that I was looking at the back of the sign which was last years event.
  14. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Just received Sam's TAT maps/roll charts and downloaded the entire State of Tennesee within an hour using Mapsources routing tool. So far haven't had to use the Track tool yet as all of Sam's routes were in the updated Mapsource 2010.1. Although haven't been able to find the Tennesee Leeve route tho. I am currently using a Garmin Zumo 450. Mapping on Mapsource and then downloading the routes tothe GPS have been rather easy!

According to Sam, he will travel to Oregon and update the State section at the end of June.
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommend converting your routes to tracks. Routing often has a way of getting off of the route that you created in Mapsource.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to say the same thing but then noticed, he has a Zumo!
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    DOH!!!
  18. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi guys....

Hhmmnn....since I have a Zumo? Unbeknowest to me what's the advantage of a Zumo in mapping Sam's maps over other Garmin models? All of Sam's maps mirrored precisely on Mapsource. So the Zumo does help avoid having to create "Tracks" just yet until NM; Colo; Ut; Nevada where most roads aren't on Mapsource!
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Routes do not work well when traveling back roads because the GPS unit wants to change the route for the most optimal travel which in case of the TAT that is not what we want to do. Tracks will not change, the will stay on the GPS as laid out by you in Mapsource.
  20. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff / Jerry,

I consistently see you two and a few others advocating tracks over routes. I don't get it. Is it based on your experience with a feature set typical of most GPS's?

I've got a Garmin 276C. I've had it for years and bought it based upon my research on ADV. It was expensive though and so it may not be the most popular one or the one that you have experience with.

That said, I did the Eastern TAT using routes and it was great. Of course I turned off autorouting which is a must. On the 276C routes are 10x easier to follow than tracks. The visibilty is better because the route line is a highlight that is about 5x wider than a track line. With routes I have the "distance to next turn" always displayed and get alerts and auto-zoom at intersections where a turn is involved. If I do get off route I get a visible indicator (an large arrow pointing back towards the route). None of these would be available with tracks.

Note that after I initially set up my route in Mapsource. I zoomed in to where all the roads are visible and follow the route while comparing to the paper TAT maps. If the routing was different, I simply dragged the route to the correct road.

There were 2-3 instances where very short sections of road were not on my mapset or would not route thru. I routed as close as I could on both ends using waypoints, letting Mapsource pick a detour to connect the two waypoints. Since I was always reviewing my route in Mapsource the night before (carried a netbook) I would know about the situation the next day on the road when I encountered it and just drive thru on the current road (or levee in one case) ignoring the routing instructions. When I reached the waypoint on the other side of the gap, the GPS would happily resume navigating from that point.

Not trying to challenge you guys, just wondering why my experience seems so contrary.

Edit: Just saw your post above. So does it all come down to whether or not you can disable autorouting?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.