WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MonkeyC:

That's one of the best 5 minutes I spent today. Thanks for putting together the video.

Timmer

2. frdbronco8

frdbronco8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some friends and I are getting back into Dual sporting and are looking forward to doing this or at least one half or this route. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are some single track or at least slightls rough routes that parallel this route or if its just mainly dirt roads. I love it all but think it would be fun to get into some rough stuff along the way. I noticed that part of it looks to be close to the Mad Lake ORV area.
  3. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i beleive the roate that was posted goes through the naches forest service ORV TRAILS lots of nice riding there.
  4. Big Spag

Big Spag ONESPEED

Oddometer:
    Looking at doing the WABCDR this summer on 1200GS bikes. Has anyone done the whole route on a big bike? Are there any sections to avoid on big bikes? Rode the OBDR last summer. It was a blast.
  5. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:

Nice vid / slideshow ...... :beer

The route looks great ...... I'll have to try and make it up there next season.

G.
  6. J.W.Mudd

J.W.Mudd "Moto Loco"

Oddometer:
    Big Bike - Not a problem for 99% and the other 1% NBD!

Side Trails - Lots, look at a map!

Time of Year - After July 1st due to snow.

It's a 3 day ride border to border :deal
  7. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent Video MonkeyC !!:clap.

I very much like the still shots edited in with the Video. It made for a fun 5 minutes. I can't sit through most Videos posted, 5 minutes of riding the same road is BORING.

Your Video was fun to watch, with lots of still scenery to add to the excitement of the ride. I got to laugh at the ducks and view a pretty girl to boot. Take note Video Dudes. That's the way to do it.
  8. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pal's and I are planning a Giant Loop shakedown for an Alaskan trip and this route came up.....revisited the thread and found that video. What Apple Jam said; super video and cute ducks. Oh..and cute gal too! dd
  9. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Want a riding companion to do this trail? Maybe August? The only bike I've got for that is my Dakar. Hope to be less of a nOOb on two tracks by then.:D

BTW, that video is the shits! :clap:clap:clap Wish I could get my wife to ride a dirt bike.
  10. elk311

elk311 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be doing this with the trusty KLR! Hopefully this summer!!! I'll need to hook up with someone else since all my buddies ride dirt only bikes :cry
  11. RandinIowa

RandinIowa A.D.D. Rider

Oddometer:
    i'd probably be down with that, the sooner the better. let me know if you want to do any other dual sport rides in the meantime.
  12. Bobo1167

Bobo1167 On a different frequency

Oddometer:
    I did most of this route (though it's easy to find alternate ways through) last year. I'd do it again on anyone elses GoldWing, it's pretty much that easy, this is no OBDR.

the longest parts are 90 miles each south and north of Winthrop. Midweek in late June I had no snow issues, very little other traffic, no hot weather, empty campgrounds. A very nice ride.

bobo
  13. SeattleTrails

SeattleTrails KTMer

Oddometer:
    ADVriders, I'm glad to see all the discussion about the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. I wanted to answer some of your questions and update some information. A little background first… Andrew Cull and I (Bryce Stevens) created this route and gathered the "documentary team" together so we could make maps, collect GPS waypoints for everyone to use, and do a film about the project. We had sponsors for the project (http://www.wabdr.com/Sponsors), but this money was just to cover the direct costs (e.g. website and movie). The WA BDR is and will always be a non-profit venture. Touratech-USA was the lead sponsor and they will probably sell the film DVD at their store and on their website (http://www.touratech-usa.com/), but again they will just try to recoup some of their costs. Note that this route is for adventure motorcycles and 4WD/4x4 vehicles. The entire route can be ridden or driven by competent riders and drivers in competent vehicles.

We know that we were not the first ones to ride motorcycles across WA on un-paved backroads. Many others have done this already, but we wanted to create a route that everyone can ride, share, and discuss. We hope that the route will evolve over time with many other optional routes, suggested side-trips, harder sections, easier sections, etc. What we’ve done so far is just a starting point.

Now to answer some of the questions so far:

Website: The website URL address has changed from WBCDR.com to WABDR.com. We wanted to use the 2-letter state abbreviation because we plan to create more of these BDR’s for other states and use the same website domain format (http://www.wabdr.com/).

Movie: The feature-length movie is being produced as I type this by Sterling Noren who has made many motorcycle documentaries before (http://www.norenfilms.com). It is expected to be completed in early 2011. We will be showing the movie at the Overland Expo in Amado, Arizona in early April 2011. Overland became a sponsor of the project after we won their Overland Flag Competition at last year’s show. If you haven’t been, you should attend this excellent expo for adventure motorcycling and 4wd “overlanding” expeditions.

Maps: The website has maps from Google Maps (http://www.wabdr.com/Map) which are helpful for planning the trip. But we suggest that you get all 3 national forest maps to take with you (Gifford Pinchot, Wenatchee, and Okanogan) and Butler Maps is producing an excellent map of the route that will be available in 2011 (http://www.butlermaps.com/).

GPS waypoints: The route tracks are free on the website at (http://www.wabdr.com/GPS).

Season: July thru September is best. This route goes very high up into the mountains in several sections and unfortunately most of those sections don’t melt out until July and some years that’s late July. It’s worth the wait but the season is very short because those elevations (6-7000 feet) get snow early in the fall. Call the NF ranger stations before heading out in July.

Motorcycles & vehicles: I drove it in my FJ Cruiser (big tires and small lift kit) and a friend drove it in an old FJ (jeep style). We had no problems but a nice SUV would get scratches on this route and any vehicle with low clearance could get stuck in places. I can send another post later on the initial motorcycle team and their bikes, but we all had big adventure bikes (650 to 1200cc BMW and KTM) and the riders are solid. There are a couple challenging sections (one on Cleman Mtn and one on Umptanum Ridge) that should be avoided by inexperienced riders on big bikes. Other than those tough sections we tried to select roads that were not boring NF main trunk roads so many are rocky and rutted but still ridable (one mystery section is insanely overgrown but it goes!). There are some single-track trails along the route for dual-sport riders wanting to get off roads but you’ll need to do your own research on those. BTW - I’d love to see a GoldWing do this route!

Sorry for the long post. Great video by MonkeyC by the way!

-Bryce
  14. YamWOW!

YamWOW! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need to see the movie in the winter time. I'm bored!:D What is the longest distance between fuel stops? The OBDR was a concern.
  15. jackariah

jackariah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for making this route so easily accessible to all of us.

I have already downloaded the gps tracks to my Dakota and am planning out the trip for this summer. I suspect I will likely do just 2 or 3 of the legs this summer... start from I90 and up to Hwy 20... then head over the the family in Ione, WA.

Anyway, very excited to do this route and look forward to reporting back the fun.

Much appreciated.

Jackariah
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    hello everyone. thanks for the interest in this way cool route!!!
    we are projecting our printed map will be avail. end of jan/beg. of feb.
    i'll keep ya updated when i get new info.
    thanks, bill
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    fuel stops will be listed on our maps but i don't have a range answer for you yet.
  18. Beelzabob

Beelzabob I don't feel tardy. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many have been doing this for the past 4 years; good on you brothers! Keep it going. It's one epic ride of sure! :deal:clap
  19. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm an average rider on a great bike (KTM990). If there are really technical parts, I'd like to be able to bypass them as I'll be doing the route alone. Will there be workarounds? Also interested in distance beween gas stops.

1911fan
  20. Sabre

Sabre Prêt? Allez! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Bryce, this is a wonderful piece of work and we're all very grateful for your efforts. The website is great, the download is great, and the vid is great. I'm very much looking forward to making this trip next summer.

Tell Andrew hi from Anson; haven't seen him in a while but it looks like he's doing great with RMI.

Great work, guys. Thanks! :clap