WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Car Sun Key

Car Sun Key Pick a direction and go

Oddometer:
    Hey man no need to get upset, I was just trying to help out as it appears you were too :thumb. Maybe could have just asked for clarification on the map instead of assuming I was trying to confuse BDR riders with a flat earther map. I'll try to be more clear next time
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  2. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We attempted Section 4 (Cashmere to Chelan). We started in Cashmere and went North.

There were no road closures due to Covid, but we started to hit snow near the peak of Chumstick mountain.

For a bit there were tracks and you could ride along the shoulder, but eventually the snow became impassable for us, and everyone else who had been there prior according to tracks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to climb the single track on Chumstick, but it was too steep for our bikes:
    [​IMG]

We turned around and rode some other roads to HWY97 and picked the route back up in Ardenvoir.

Same story when you get to the top of Baldy Mountain, right at the summit, the snow becomes impassable:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We turned around and took other roads back to 97. Rough idea of our route:
    [​IMG]

It's apparent that no one has been able to link this section together, but it's pretty close.
  3. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!

We went hiking from the other side of Baldy - it's not close on the north side at all :-) We dug an igloo on the road - about 4 feet of snow left there to melt...
    Commiehunter likes this.
  4. ski-line900

Oddometer:
    Glad we didn't keep pushing then. "This has to be the last one, it's clear after this!"
  5. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've said that so many times. It's rarely the case.

What elevation were you hitting snow at? It'd be nice to know if the section from the OR/WA Border is clear up to there. Could start to calculate with a good estimate of elevation.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  6. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    It is not - see the pictures from the previous week from the ridges between 410 and Ellensburg and the other posts from guys Hood River to Trout lake...
    Commiehunter likes this.
  7. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Thanks, I read back a couple pages. At least on the 5th the land/road closures end.
  8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Agree, I am going to go out on the 5th for more scouting - hoping to make it from South Cle Elum over to Manastash, will check Umtanum and Bethel ridge and go north of Ellensburg. I expect to run into snow there and continue my journey on HWY 97 to my destination.
  9. ktmrider221

ktmrider221 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    April 17th WABDR North out of Ellensburg,,, Solid snow & ice up the hill to the right. Might make a run up there tomorrow, if so I report back with an updated condition.
    B02947A2-ED5F-4535-8E51-1635B13FAEF8.jpeg
  10. ski-line900

Oddometer:
    Snow prolly started around 5000ft, but apparently the north side of mtns has more snow than the south.
  11. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Cool. Last time I was in GP snow was at about 2500. 5k gets you a little more play room.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  12. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's cuz the earth is tilted to the north in the winter and the snow slides off of the south part of earth.
  13. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
  14. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
  15. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    OK, was able to go out yesterday (details here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-90-to-greenwater.1169575/page-24#post-39990628) and:

Verified both of the gates in Wenas are open and Rode Wenas to Ellens.

Looks like the ridge from Wenas to the tower above 410 is now snow clear - see picture below (did not try due to time)

Looks like Ellensburg to Cashmere via Lion rock is still blocked by snow (looking at the ridges from HWY97) - did not try due to weather

Someone will need to confirm the Bethel ridge from HWY 12 - from the view point it looked like plenty of snow there still..

Compare this with the photo above 2 weeks ago (taken from Manastash Ridge Rd): 2020-05-06 14.30.37.jpg
    MaErK, Ride Now, Car Sun Key and 6 others like this.
  16. knuckledrager

knuckledrager Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the DR out yesterday trying to get to Takalaka Lake and ran into snow about a mile out from the junction on 23 coming in from Randle. Tried 21 and a back way in on 5601(?) I've used before. Also went up 5603 that crosses the route but hit snow a few miles out. Basically hit snow or downed trees pretty much everywhere around 3500ft.
    Looks like it will be a pretty normal year unless we get more warm temps like today.

Attached Files:

patrown likes this.
  17. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I ran Cashmere to Chelan today - was able to muscle my way to Chumstick, but it took 5 or 6 attempts and I spent good 30 minutes on that first snow drift. I made a "route" for small/mid size bikes but don;t try on a GS, especially if riding alone! (see pic1 below). The Entiat summit road was passable with a bit less of effort and again midsize bikes with a decent solo rider are fine. Dropped down to Andervoir and up again. Seen some tracks and was hoping for all clear - nope, just past Baldy, before the turn off before Stormy Mt. it's impassable: 47° 52' 1.23" N, 120° 19' 31.50" W

Got to Chelan via a secret bailout route, had a shake and burger and realized my plant go to Twisp and home via HWY20 is idiotic - it was 4PM but HWY20 is still closed!!!

So back to Andervoir via pavement, up to French Corral and trying via Sugarloaf to Fish lake - no go, got stopped a few hundred feet below the Y to 715 ( 47°45'33.5"N 120°32'01.2"W )! And I was stupid enough to go up to a point where I could not turn around - so I had to back the bike back in the snow - SUCKED!!! See photo below. So back down to Plain and home via HWY 2....

Chumstick attempt 1:
    2020-05-10 11.05.35.jpg
    Chumstick attempt 6:
    2020-05-10 11.30.50.jpg

Chelan - no way to get down on WABDR via the Jungle:
    2020-05-10 14.02.33.jpg

How do you turn around - you don't you back out the heavy sucker until you can :-)
    2020-05-10 17.39.54.jpg
  18. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    your rade rally sure looks good on that husky.
    no way to do a doughnut?
  19. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Thanks - not only it looks good, but it's also very practical - I could not do these 250+ miles days without decent wind protection on the HWYs

:-)

Not there, it does not look like but the bank on right was too high...
    clawdog60 likes this.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Push it over. Spin it 180. Pick it up, and braaaap!
    clawdog60, Yukon Ho! and thirsty 1 like this.