WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. RustyNails

RustyNails n00b

Oddometer:
    Took section 1 out of Carson on Sunday. I hit snow just after the summit of Trail Peak, about 35 miles out of Carson, right past the turnoff for Trout Lake, elevation 3300 ft. I was by myself and thought it might be passable since I was heading downhill l, but got stuck after I was forced to turn around. Had to get around a snow patch heading uphill and the bike dug in up to the bash plate/swingarm, and to make it even better I was right on the edge of the hill. I made it out ok after about an hour but I guess no more doing stupid shit when I'm by myself.

Attached Files:

krussell, clawdog60, erg59 and 4 others like this.
  2. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You made it out though. Keep at it, and just refine a little.
    Cafeducati likes this.
  3. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Liar
    95Monster, thirsty 1, Siorc and 3 others like this.
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Remember; it's not an adventure until something goes wrong...
  5. BlueTaco

BlueTaco n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Section 1 update. Planning a trip with buddies and our kids in June and hoping it's melted out enough by then. We may scout it from the Packwood side Memorial Day weekend and I'll post a report if we do. My first time on this stretch, so any of you vets that have trail tips (good/bad camp spots, etc.) would be appreciated (remember, we'll have kids, so mosquito or bear central to be avoided at all costs!).
  6. ktmrider221

ktmrider221 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son made it to the end of the pavement today on section 3 north of Ellensburg before running into a snow drift,, he said pass the drift was pretty clear,,,, we're close to getting to Loins Rock:clap
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  7. RustyNails

RustyNails n00b

Oddometer:
    Which week in June? I recently saw a YouTube video of somebody's WABDR ride they took on 4th of July weekend a few years ago and they still had a couple of snow patches in Section 1, but they were crossable.
  8. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Section 1 tops out at about 4600 feet just past Takhlakh Lake. If you manage to make it to Killen Creek Campground you should be home free.
  9. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig likes this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you guys think a July 5 start to the BDR is a safe bet this summer? (Generally speaking)

I don’t know if you’ve had a big snow year or not.
    Woofhound likes this.
  11. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had 105% of snowpack in the cascades so not an overly massive amount. I think you’ll be fine. Keep an eye on this thread as folks are reporting what they can ride and the snow level. From what I am hearing the snow level is around 3500 feet. Varies a bit based on shade an North/South slope of hill. The highest point on the WABDR is just about 7K at Lone Frank Pass.
    Zubb likes this.
  12. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Subscribed.
  13. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    Reecer Creek is blocked as of today at the pavement end with 2 ft snow that is melting very fast, not quite able to do Lions rock yet! It is at about 5700 ft in elevation, and like I said, it's melting off quickly. Shady areas still have considerable snow in the rd. I hope to do some rides from my cabin this year on the WABDR, I'm only 5-6 miles off that portion of the trail. Ride safe, be smart...there was a lot of people out in the woods this past 3-4 days on that side.
  14. Zubb

Oddometer:
    did-you-have-a-good-adventure.jpg
  15. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Was just talking with my son and since we can plan this trip (full WABDR) any ol time, we're thinking of pushing it back from the first week of July to the last week of July. But the question came up...
    Do the roads/trails get better through summer, or do they get worse ? I wondered if 4WD traffic generally makes things worse over the 3 or 4 month season. Anyone have an opinion on this?
  16. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    I ride mostly between ellensberg and Chelan and don't really notice any difference between early and late season..
    Cafeducati and Zubb like this.
  17. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think there's enough traffic to hurt the trails/roads. I would think fires would be a bigger concern. I'd try for the first week of July or even the last weeks of June. The snow "should" be gone and the temps will be better with non-smokey views.
    Cafeducati, Zubb and fjmartin like this.
  18. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Very good points.
  19. Cafeducati

Cafeducati Stuffing my face with that 990 Steak

Oddometer:
    Awesome. A small crew and I are hitting the WABDR at the end of June from Ellensburg to Conconully since the Touratech Rally was cancelled.

It’s nice to know we “shouldn’t” run into any snow issues.

-we have to get our scheduled fix somewhere!
  20. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lived in Cashmere for ~25 years, and I'd wait til mid-July. I've run into snow blocking the road on Fourth of July weekend, higher up.