WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Prefer Dirt

Prefer Dirt Halfway There... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couldn't make it across Bethel Ridge on 5/22/20. There are still a few patches of snow but you can get around them. However, there was a tree across and it was a little too big for my handsaw. I was almost to Rocky Point. Hard to say what the rest of that upper section through the trees is like. The bypass route is open.
    This was my first ride ever on an Adv Bike. Fun experience, didn't enjoy picking up the bike, but that is the adventure right. Whoever the crazy lady was screaming at me at 3AM that I owe her rent, cheers and thanks for the memory! If you are riding through the Wenas section and find a Mosko Moto Tent Pole bag with poles, tire irons and lube in it think of me.:doh Need to work on my tie down skills. IMG_1295.JPG Bethel.jpg
  2. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I was able to run today Cashmere -> Chelan -> Twisp (and you can assume you can get all the way to Conconully)

Caveat, unlikely last time (look at the previous page) there was no snow at Chumstick. However there is still snow at Baldy mt. If you are on a big bike I would recommend at least 2 people, I got through on mid size (Husky 701) on my own due to the downhill position (I would not try north to south for about 2 weeks!). The jungle is blocked, you need to go around, I could get the first two with my hand saw, but around the corner is a huge pile up that will require a chain saw and a truck. You can go around, the back way but the views are not as nice and the rode is boring. As I was coming to the other side turn off to the jungle I seen 2 Land Rovers going in, perhaps they will clear it. Give it a try

Mud/snow also just before Poison Creek Cambround out of Chelan and around Fox Mt. but not as bad as Baldy. Still running North to South would be difficult even there.

Baldy:
    2020-05-23 13.28.15.jpg
    2020-05-23 13.31.16.jpg
    Jungle (you could get around on the right with a hand saw, but 2nd one is just around the corner:
    2020-05-23 14.08.53.jpg
    2020-05-23 14.10.48.jpg

I will do a full report on my 411 mile day from Cashmere to Settle via WABDR to Twisp -> Wintrop -> HWY 20 -> Mountain Loop HWY -> Granite Falls -> Home
    blainerides, WolfNman, KojiKP and 9 others like this.
  3. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    NSR400, erg59, Ride365 and 9 others like this.
  4. twolf

twolf Dork

Oddometer:
    Anyone run Section 3 Ellensburg to Cashmere yet this season? Curious about the Beehive washout on the north end. Thanks for the scoop.
  5. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I tried a few times - wayyy too much snow to get to that washout (yet).
  6. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty cool little website! I haven't seen that before. We were up on Monday to the towers south of Ellensburg. 6 of us so the going was as to be expected. We were doing good until I got a flat and then we got another and then the belly pan met the filter!! Variety of bikes. My 1190r, a 701, and 4 Beemers. We were set to come down to Greenwater from 90 but it got late and it was raining shitty on the pass.

100495142_10223516244999719_5866620598406348800_n.jpg 101283408_10223516245439730_3968116994829451264_n.jpg DSC_0634.JPG
    DSC_0648.JPG
    DSC_0661.JPG
    Curtis76, Apple Jam, Ride Now and 3 others like this.
  7. twolf

twolf Dork

Oddometer:
    @tomasv, keep me posted if you make another attempt this weekend. I'm trying to get from Beehive to Ellensburg the weekend of June 5, about a week earlier than I did last year.
  8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I am in Seattle this weekend, likely no riding - perhaps next weekend...
  9. twolf

twolf Dork

Oddometer:
    Still looking for info on Section 3 Ellensburg to Cashmere. I guess the snow issues are by Lion Rock. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  10. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict

Oddometer:
    Curious about conditions as well, planning on riding the WABDR north to south in a few weeks with my son, praying for warm weather to melt off the rest of the snow.
  11. johnperry

johnperry n00b

Oddometer:
    There's a great tool on the WABDR website for checking snow levels. Just click on the link next to the map - it will take you to the main map page. Zoom in to the state and trail section you are interested in. Click on the layers icon in the top right, and select snow levels from the drop down. You'll get an overly of the estimated snow levels. It's just an estimate, but in my experience is accurate enough to plan your trips by.
    blainerides, Zubb and Dusty Pipes like this.
  12. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was able to find it. That link was hard to see even when I was looking for it, but I did find it. It looks like it will be close in a couple of spots if the snow will be gone or not. That will be part of the adventure.
    Commiehunter likes this.
  13. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Not sure if we are looking at the same map: 2 - 3 feet and my wife drove on HWY 97 and reported visually from Blewett past there is way too much snow to make that

upload_2020-6-2_19-45-33.png
  14. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    I guess I will find out when I get there in 3 weeks.
    Zubb and Dorian like this.
  15. SeattleDog

SeattleDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was up there on 5/24 - north out of Ellensburg towards Lion Rock. Much less snow that a few weeks back, but a few deep slushy spots. I did get my truck stuck, but that was mostly my fault. We walked ~ 500 yards to the turn off to Lion Rock - and at that point I would not have gone much further. The first image is west to Lion Rock. Second is North from Lion Rock. Likely will be back up either this weekend or next. I would expect much less snow now IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2841.jpg
    blainerides likes this.
  16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That interactive map of the WABDR is awesome!! I'll be watching the snow levels there over the next 4 weeks.
    SilverAdvRdr likes this.
  17. MaErK

MaErK n00b

Oddometer:
    Attempted parts of Section 1 and 2 last Thursday, Friday, Saturday with big bikes (three of us on 800s and one on a 1090).

Day 1, section 1 we saw many fallen trees that had been recently been cut through and the route clear for a long way (50 miles maybe?). Then hit the snow, played in it for a little while but ultimately turned back at 46.147754, -121.644551 (4,249 ft) --however, we could find no good way to go around mount Adams not blocked by snow (it will clear soon, but who knows if that's this weekend or next or two?). We eventually chose to go around via 97 and towards Yakima (but ride leader got a flat so lost more time).

mount adams snow roost.png

Day 2, Bethel ridge was mostly fine except for maybe a half a mile of deep mud, ruts, water, and ice past the top (>6000ft and descending to 5700ft or so). For my skill level this level of mud/ice would have been challenging even on a smaller bike...so stopped early for the day in Nile almost ready to give up.

GOPR1007.JPG GOPR1008.JPG

Day 3, started up Clemens mountain but had other problems not directly related to route conditions (Ahem). Decided to head home early. Conditions looked ok but we hadn't really gone very far.
    100692678_10158820783798338_6374707395502800896_o.jpg

First time on a BDR for all 4 riders. I would say 3/4 of us are somewhere on the spectrum of 'intermediate' (yet found it challenging) while 1/4 was definitely 'advanced' (and had no apparent problems)...but our groups' collective off-road experience is mostly smaller displacement bikes. Definitely was a fun adventure in a "but did you die?" sense...would probably not attempt the WABDR at the end of May again. At least not flailing around on my f800gs.
    One Fat Roach and KayDubbya like this.
  18. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Would appreciate it if you could take a moment to update this page at end of your trip. I believe you are a week ahead of me (and my son).
    I'm running south to north starting July 7.

BTW, I raised my family for 15 years in Spokane. Nice to meet an old neighbor here. :D
    Dusty Pipes likes this.
  19. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Oops. That last pic looks to be the exact reason you had 3 other buds along. For moments like this, eh? I assume ya'll had a tow rope to help with heavy lifting?
  20. Dusty Pipes

Oddometer:
    I am going to attempt to do a ride report during the ride, of course dependent on signal or wifi availability.

There are a couple of spots I am watching and another near priest lake for snow, was hoping to do the northwest passage to get to the WABDR region. We will see, hopeful there will be enough melt in time, if not we will deal with it as it comes up, reroutes just mean more time to ride.
    Zubb likes this.