WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. purdytj

purdytj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are planning to do sections 3 and 4 the last weekend in June. Thanks for the section 3 update! @thirsty 1
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  2. ktmrider221

ktmrider221 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride,,, The cut-off looks fun! Might have to give that a go next time we make that run,,,
    side note, after looking at your tracks, pretty sure we saw you guys ride by the house, before you started up Reecer,,,
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  3. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:
    I wanna say there was a spit to get out of the creek but I’m not 100% on that. With a little work anything is possible. :lol3

As for a day ride, yes. We fiddle f’ed around and had some beers and hammered a box back into shape so it was a full 12 hrs.
  4. carvin

carvin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great adventure. Hoping for some challenges when we do WABDR sections 2-4/5 this weekend. Avid single track rider on my Beta rr but will be taking a DR650 which isn't as nimble as I'm used to.
  5. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:
    That dr would be perfect! The part where the gs is still along the River is the worst of it all and not really that bad. Just sketchy
  6. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    That was me and @robdogg coming from a test ride in NB with his new R/G tower for the 701. You were flying in the right lane, right? :lol3
    2020-06-14 17.35.10.jpg
  7. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    No, not really - once you "drop" into the last creek crossing (south to north) or the first one the other way you re pretty much committed. I always ride in the water when crossing there. Depending on the time of the year you will get your feet/legs wet, but never above the intake.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  8. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yup that was me. :D I was hungry and it was getting late :dukegirl . I was wondering how deep that water was? I figured I’d ride around it and come back another day for a stab at it. Those towers look nice! And I’ll give you commends on getting all the over to hwy 20 a couple weeks ago. That’s a long day!
  9. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm working my ride plan for next week. Hoping to head out Monday from Seattle and bypass section 1 and start out of Packwood late Monday morning.
    I will be solo on a Tiger 800. I see there is a bypass on Bethel Ridge, but I have no frame of reference for what the "normal" route is like. Any recommendations on the difficulty? I have driven Umtanum in a truck and have no desire to do that section solo on the big bike so I will be using the bypass there. I'm sure i'll bump into some of you along the way!
  10. YT Dave

YT Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds pretty good. I'll have to take a run at the sections north of Ellensburg in the near future. Thanks again there mister!
  11. Humpzilla

Humpzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My intel on this is a bit old (July of 2019), but when I rode the "official" Jungle bypass (going south to north) last year, it was very nice. Easy, but with beautiful scenery descending into Lake Chelan. It didn't feel like a "penalty" to take that bypass to me. So, unless something has changed since then, I'd say do it!
  12. Bay3

Bay3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone made it through section 1 OR-Packwood? Thanks.
    visovm likes this.
  13. visovm

visovm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also would love to know if section 1 is passable (sounds like snow was the issue a few weeks ago). Going to attempt section 1 this weekend if weather and conditions cooperate.
    Zubb likes this.
  14. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    From a FB post from this past weekend there was still snow just past Takhlakh Lake. Bypass is to go back a bit and take NF-23 which will come out near Randle, then take Hwy 12 east until you get to Packwood.
  15. Bay3

Bay3 n00b

Oddometer:
    If someone makes it through section 1 without a bypass, please report.
  16. visovm

visovm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard the road was closed in the area of Takhlakh Lake as well; I am aware of the ride around on FS23. Hoping it's melted out a little more this week and I will attempt section 1 this weekend and report back.
  17. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    But it is a penalty. At least go towards the Jungle at the top of the ridge - on the right side you will see an open area with a solar panel - take some pictures from there. Go a bit further to the sharp corner and take pictures/enjoy the views there. Then you can turn around and go the back way. About 7 minutes and it's 1000% worth it. 2020-05-23 13.57.11.jpg 2020-05-23 14.07.09.jpg
  18. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That view over Manson is awesome!
  19. Humpzilla

Humpzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, that's a beautiful view! I thought the view of Chelan we got without going through the Jungle was good .... but I stand corrected.

20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hearing the report after this snow storm moves through on Section 1. I'm hoping that coming up from San Diego I don't have to miss section1.