WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, that’s the Babyhead hill I gave the coordinates to. Matches perfectly with Bretts video!
    zoomdude57 likes this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you for the info about baby head hill and the link to Brett's video. He is an excellent instructor. I attended one of his adventure camps and I was impressed by how easy he made it to learn the skills. There wasn't a baby head hill at that training though. :lol3
  3. RiderRob

RiderRob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After we got through the first baby head hill we were talking that wasn't bad. Then we came to the last baby head hill and I dumped the bike half way up.
    We had been riding for 13 hours and I was wore out. It took me 20 minutes to jockey the bike around for a good run up the rest of the hill.
    Looking at it from Google earth it doesn't look very steep. If I can ever get it through my thick skull to keep the speed up I think I would do better.
    The section west of the "Dumped my bike marker" was a gradual rocky hill climb and I was running fast through there and it seemed the bike didn't get bounced off the trail, it was more stable.

BabyheadHills.png
    Ladybug likes this.
  4. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The place where you dumped your bike is what is marked as a waypoint in the RideBDR tracks as Babyhead Hill but isn’t what most people consider as such. It’s the final climb on Umtanum. That entire portion has a mapped bypass and I suggest anyone with a large bike and only moderate skill take that bypass. That steep section is at least 3 times steeper than the real Baby Head Hill and has as much rolly polly rocks. I did ride it a few days ago in my CRF250L and it was still hard but no dumping of the bike. I’d never do it on my F800GSA!
    SilverAdvRdr likes this.
  5. RiderRob

RiderRob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad that creek was there just before going through the 2 gates. I had ran out of water after getting to the top of the first baby head hill.
    I filtered a couple liters and I really needed it after the last baby head hill. Well next year I will attempt it again.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  6. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 2017 I was also out of water there and filtered some before hitting the pavement section towards Umtanum!
    Ladybug and RiderRob like this.
  7. WolfNman

WolfNman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The washouts on Section 3- does anyone have a GPS track to bypass them? They used to be on the ridebdr website but no more. One of my co-workers is going to do section 3 and is brand new to adv riding on a Tenere 700. Im hoping to give him a way out in case he rides up to them and decides it's a little too much. Any help is appreciated.
  8. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding that they [the BDR folks] rerouted the whole thing to avoid the road that had the worst of it. Some washout damage is still on the route near there, but they are getting ridden/driven a lot now and are passable.

At least that's what I was told. Will find out first hand next week lol

Edit: here is a recent photo from Facebook (not mine)...

FB_IMG_1597840224245.jpg
    Ride Now likes this.
  9. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About the only "re-route" would be to turn left at the intersection of NF-35 and 9712, and then right on 9716, which would dump him out at the sno-park on the top of Blewett Pass.
  10. WolfNman

WolfNman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it. Thank you!
    AC09 likes this.
  11. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May be sum roads closed around loomis/Nighthawk area ? That pic was yesterday, just after it started.6000 acres this mornings estimate 20200818_162506.jpg
  12. tunus

tunus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone camped on top of Bethel ridge? I'm wondering if it's safe. Mostly concerned with the signs of cougar activity (not the fun kind) in the area I saw last time I was there.
    DirtyDogBreath likes this.
  13. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Why reroute? That looks like a fun little section!
    AC09 likes this.
  14. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    That image is from the section that is still on the route near Beehive Reservoir.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cougars are scared of other cougars. Plan accordingly.

I’d probably be more concerned about being dusted out by other people riding/driving by while I’m camping, rather than having to deal with wildlife.
  16. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    +100x

I never had an issue with wildlife and I have some pictures to prove it got close - you can see the size of her claws! But people - different story, so I always camp that I can't be seen from the road/trail. Or at least as much as I can. We got Cougar sighting here and people stopped walking with dogs, asked for traps, etc. BULLSHIT! The cougar is more scared than they are...

Kenai, Alaska at about 12:30 AM - I have a story here, happy to share over beer, mom is the size of a small VW Beattle...
    [​IMG]
    97707, Ride Now, SilverAdvRdr and 7 others like this.
  17. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @tomas or @Apple Jam @97707 in Oregun ..anyone out and about..? Hows the smoke situation? I see a fire west of Chelan...Looking at a N - S route starting on Labor Day Thursday from Canada and going south to Oregon and the Cascades Discovery Route, maybe Crater Lake area..Fires or Route re-reoutes ?
  18. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    South Deschutes County is clear overhead today. Haven't been up on the mountain and had a look around.

The fires so far are elsewhere. *Crossing fingers . . . hope it stays that way*

thirsty 1 likes this.
  19. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a fire 5+ miles from me (further into the woods) in an current clear cut, slash piles and leftover ground fuel were burning, we're hearing. It is over and out, but there have been three fires locally so far here in Hood River and Wasco Counties. Maybe arson? Investigations under way.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  20. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I keep hearing about these little ones like you say. I'm holding on strong we don't get a late summer outbreak or a Russian Commie!!haha! And then there's good ol mutha nature!!

Thanks for the intel !!