WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    There was a storm alert yesterday for hail, winds and lightning around Condon and Fossil. Its pretty dry now . . . wind and lighting sets it up. Quite a few of our fire guys are down in Cali now. If we dodge the big ones before its cools down we'll be lucky.

thirsty 1 likes this.
  2. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    People who intentionally start forest fires should be dropped into the next big one.
    philthyphil and Apple Jam like this.
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    View lastnight its coming down backside of Palmer mt. 20200819_201608.jpg
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  5. tunus

tunus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you come off the mountain towards Palmer Lake area, the dirt ends on Toads Coulee Rd. The route then continues north for about a mile and connects with Loomis-Oroville Rd just south of Palmer Lake. Do you know if Loomis-Oroville Rd is open towards Loomis?
  6. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Toats to loomis is still open as far as i know. Theres lots of different ways to come out a bit south of loomis into the sinlehekin valley if they close the toats rd. Just go down hill from anywhere up there......it always comes out in the bottom
  7. tunus

tunus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Yes, I am making contingency plans if this gets out of control.
  8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
  9. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gave it our best shot this week, only made it to Nile on Tuesday before electrical issues with the bike ended the trip early. Spent a good hour and a half clearing a tree blocking the route up on the ridge and had another fall alongside the track as we were passing, so it made for a long start of section 2.
    For those starting on a a weekend day, be careful for most of the route to Packwood, lots of people driving way too fast for their sight lines, and tons of dust. Basically a constant stream of Subarus and Jeeps going 40mph either direction from Takhlakh Lake to Packwood. Make reservations too, lots of people out and apparently a lot of NF campsites aren't open so people are flocking to those that are open and boondocking in all the obvious spots as well. Made it tough to find a spot each night as we hadn't made any reservations. Did spot a fire way off in the distance while up on the ridge above Nile, but pretty clear skies otherwise.

[​IMG]
    Ride Now, tunus, AC09 and 2 others like this.
  10. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

@thirsty 1 , things are changing in Central Oregon. The Green Ridge fire near Camp Sherman is at 4K acres and putting up smoke, 13% contained.

The Lilly Lake fire was a concern a few days ago, I don't see it on the alerts today.

The Frog fire over in the Maury is at 4K acres and 40% contained.

There are two fires at Warm Springs that are 2K and 4K acres.

And there are some further east, at Monument and Spray.

Here's a good info source: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7012/

It was pretty smoky around here on Sunday, drizzled this morning in spots, making bowhunters and firefighters happy. Cleared the air a bit.

We know its just getting started with the fires. Zero inches rain in the 10 day forecast.

Stay safe.

11. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! Things are happening fast.

The Warm Springs fire looks sizable on the map. I was wondering if the section around Olollie Lake was open? Nice places up there. I'm having a riders meeting (beers for lunch, ahah) on Sunday. I'm still thinking of heading south from the border even though that Palmer Lake fire is burning it up! Bummer about the fires in the John Day Hwy. Thats one of my favorites in Oregon, especially going from Fossil to Maupin. Good stuff out there!

The one west of Chelan is 90% contained so that should be passable in that section.

We could go east from Palmer but I'm not sure how good the riding will be with wind blowing from the west. :dunno Dunno! Maybe we'll head east and head down some backcountry Idaho...
  12. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

Sounds like my ride a couple years ago. Summer of smoke. I had a return route planned from Montana, and had to make a new one dodging the fires.

Nothing better than internet access to help with that.

13. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I try do my rides around Memorial day or early June. 2017 I went down the Continental Divide in August and swore i'd never do another end of summer jaunt because of the smoke, but well 2020 is not a normal year so i'll take what I can get! LOL!!! hahha. TAT next year in mid-July!
    97707 likes this.
  14. tunus

tunus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did sections 1-5 early last week and had a blast. Decided to skip section 6 due to the Palmer Lake fire and issues with my friend's bike. This was my third WABDR (previous trips in 2014 and 2017) and definitely noticed some changes. The trail seemed more traveled and even babyhead hill climb did not seem as bumpy as in the past. Also, nearly every ridge/mountain had signs of fire damage, significant in some instances. I don't remember the sandy pits/ruts along the northern part of section 5, but this may have to do with the timing of this trip. Overall, it was a great trip, met some other riders along the way, saw elk and deer and even witnessed a marriage proposal on top of Lion Rock. Here are my two most favorite shots.
    sunset2.jpg sunset_rainier.jpg
  15. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Alright! Alright!
    Looks like I’ll be hitting the trail south to north beginning on 21Sep...

BLUF: solo riding (maybe one or two more), dedicated GPS with paper backup, camping, F800GSA w/ two dryspec soft bags.

Start date and location: heading out of Astoria, Or. heading south to north. Based on a couple comments/ recommendations, I plan on skipping the weekend traffic with the hope of avoiding the Subaru and Jeep dummies.

Pace: I’ll be looking to do 2 sections a day. I know there is a lot to see and do while on the trail, but, my mantra is to wake up early ride hard and start looking for a place to camp 30 min before sunset.

return: probably hit (twisty) slab home... I’ve got a pregnant wife and a 20th month old who will be missing me.

lodging: tent

whiskey: Woodford

Bar beer: Busch Lattes

Bike: F800GS Adventure, Ohlins setup, MITAS E-07+ tires, steering dampener, minimal 2 soft bags with tool kits, spare tubes, etc.

Experience: TAT ~2 times, 1/2 TCAT, 1/2 CDR. Just a bad rider who is strong enough to pick up his bike. This will be my first WABDR.

Hopes & wishes: that the fires don’t ruin another motorcycle trip :flush:hair

-cFogs
    SilverAdvRdr likes this.
  16. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Section 2 is closed right now as a fire estimated to be 1000 acres so far started on the east side of Cleman Mt Monday afternoon in the Evans Canyon area which is on the route of the WABDR. Sure hope a rider didn't start it... Level 3 evacuations for everyone north of Wenas Lake as the fire is moving down the valley with the strong NW winds we had yesterday afternoon.
    https://www.yaktrinews.com/evans-canyon-fire-in-yakima-co-threatening-over-100-structures/
    This could end up being a big fire; cheers for the firefighters out there on the line! Only way around this right now would be to take the 1701 all the way to the end then down Barber Spring Rd to S Fork Manastash into Ellensburg. Or slab all the way around to the south via Naches and highway 821.
    Prefer Dirt and cgguy09 like this.
  17. diehard81

diehard81 n00b

Oddometer:
    FOUND: Thursday Aug 27, 2020, a tool kit in Section 2, Bethel Ridge, Rd 325, between Highway 12 and Highway 410. Contact me to claim.
    worncog and thirsty 1 like this.
  18. Cat_Man

Cat_Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200901-164627_Facebook.jpg
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  19. zoomdude57

zoomdude57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fire crew out of Nile helped us get an injured rider off of Cleman Mt a year ago. Great crew and I hope they are safe.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  20. tunus

tunus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 and K1200LT like this.