WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Humpzilla

Humpzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some recent intel on the triple washout at Beehive Reservoir. A group of us will be tackling Section 3 (south to north) this coming weekend, but will be in full size vehicles vs on bikes.

I did the WABDR, including the washouts, last year on my 1200GS. At that time, the washouts were passable by truck as well as bikes (we had an F250 Super Duty Long Bed with us that made it through no problem). Looking at pictures from previous posts, it looks like the washout is about the same as last year, which is encouraging.

Anyone tackle it in a full size vehicle this year? Any other issues along Sections 3 and 4 to worry about with full-size rigs?

Thanks in advance!
  2. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be ok through beehive.
    cgguy09 and Humpzilla like this.
  3. Prefer Dirt

Prefer Dirt Halfway There... Supporter

Oddometer:
    EvansCreekFireAlternate.jpg View attachment 2529048 View attachment 2529048 View attachment 2529048
    Thanks for posting this. Plan on starting S to N in a few days. Not the best timing but want to do it this year. Would appreciate any opinions of this detour.

Attached Files:

Spclkk72, Watercat and cgguy09 like this.
  4. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right now, Omak and bridgeport have wild fires,close and maybe by now in town. The power is out in entire county, hiway 97 as well as 17, and 172 and countless side roads are closed ! No power.....NO FUEL.
    I came home from work a bit ago up hiway 21, its open for now, but trees an power lines down across rd. Had to drive down the ditch to get under them. I would stay away from the last section for a bit if you can !!
  5. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you got the route figured out based on the map. This is very easy riding on forest roads until the forest boundary and the descent down Barber Springs Rd to Manastash Creek begins. Overall, this would be rated a very easy jeep trail but it does have some steep, loose, rocky sections like all the jeep roads around here. Harder than coming down Bethel Ridge to Hwy 410 but not much. You will be in Eberg much faster than if taking the regular route. I'd wait a few days and see if the smoke clears out from the fires that just started today. Evans Canyon fire is out.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight on the trails. Good to hear the fire is out. Good advice, sure hate to see so many fires. I think I will wait a little longer.
    Ladybug likes this.
  7. Spclkk72

Spclkk72 n00b

Oddometer:
    Evans county Fire is actually only 60% contained right now
  8. Spclkk72

Spclkk72 n00b

Oddometer:
    My BF, his brother and I are supposed to leave on Saturday. It’ll be our first time doing the route. I’ve been trying to track the fires, but looking at the alternates that were available (Nile through Yakima Canyon HWY821) it looks as if that might be out of the question now? What have you found?

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/7132/55121/
  9. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Watercat likes this.
  10. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    It appears the fire is stopped at the Yakima River and Hwy 821 is East of the river so might still be open. Even if 821 is open, traveling through smoke is no fun. The route suggested above would keep you West of the fire. I have decided not to do the BDR this year. Will attempt the Olympic Peninsula loop. Sure hope those firefighters stay safe. Good luck on your trip and be safe
    Spclkk72, zoomdude57 and cgguy09 like this.
  11. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hwy 821 in the canyon opened this morning. Latest development is the DNR has closed all state lands east of the Cascade crest till this Friday and possibly longer. Fire danger is still extreme and the east winds have begun to blow again. Lots of section 2 is State lands (Bethel Ridge for example) so I would expect this to be gated already. If you did the Bethel bypass you would be on Forest Service land and so would the bypass route mentioned above with the exception of the descent down Barber Springs to Manastash Creek. It would be a huge bummer to drop down there and find the gate closed on that side. Honestly, I can't think of a worse time to do the BDR; Prefer Dirt has the right idea but currently it is smoky over on the Peninsula too.
    Spclkk72 and tommybelvedere like this.
  12. Spclkk72

Spclkk72 n00b

Oddometer:
    We’ve decided not to ride the WABDR this time we are hoping to still ride, but are new to the WA riding scene. Any input on a multi day ride that doesn’t have too much highway speeds?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  13. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
  14. skistrom

skistrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wheelzngearz likes this.
  15. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    This might help for future rides this time of year. I know other mapping software can do this, but this one happens to be gaiagps. Ignore the tracks and points of interest, didn't feel like turning them off.
    1. The large cloud patterns is the air quality index. The yellow, orange, red and purple are danger levels, yellow being moderate and purple being very unhealthy.
    2. The red patches are forest fires this season. They are clickable to determine if active or not.
    3. The small white with purple gradient around them are thermal anomalies (Forest Fires) detected by satellites. These are updated several times a day.
    gaiagps.jpg
    cgguy09, BobcatSig and zoomdude57 like this.
  16. skistrom

skistrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fire threatening White Pass Hwy 12 closed in both directions.

From WSDOT
    "US 12 remains closed both directions over White Pass due to a forest fire and firefighting efforts. EB traffic is stopped 13 miles west of the summit near MP 138 at the jct. of US 12 / SR 123. WB traffic is stopped at MP 183, Oak Creek, two miles west of the jct. of US 12 / SR 410. Estimated time to open the highway is unknown. The road will remain closed overnight, an update will be provided Friday afternoon. Access for local and recreational traffic is allowed. There is no thru traffic. "
    cgguy09 likes this.
  17. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    How's it going team,

I want to make sure my understanding of the current conditions is correct. (1) It looks like 12 is still closed (source: google maps at 1318 20SEP20). (2) the Evans Canyon Fire is 95% contained, but the general area Northwest of Yakima is closed. (3) I'm guessing Section 2 (subsection 5) is closed {{ Durr Road}} area.

I may still try and make the run this week, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

-cFogs
  18. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    White Pass is still closed and probably will be for at least another day or two but that is a guess. You would have to loop around on Hwy 123 over Cayuse-Chinook pass to Hwy 410 and a long ride down 410 to get to Section 2 east of Bethel Ridge. The good news I have is I just got off the phone with DNR southeast region in Ellensburg and found out all of the state lands closed for the Evans Canyon fire are back open. So Durr Road, Umtanum Ridge etc. are rideable again. Looks like more rain and entering a wet pattern beginning Wednesday...
    cgguy09 likes this.
  19. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    White pass update - From WSDOT - FINAL 4:39 p.m. Monday, Sept. 21: US 12 White Pass is now fully OPEN! A huge thanks to all the emergency responders who have worked and continue to work on the fire and related hazards up there. We appreciate you so much. Stay safe!
  20. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    I saw that google maps updated last night. Glad to see things are opening back up. I hope all the folks out there can start to get back to normal. I’m seeing some cooler weather and some rain for the region starting this week... equally happy to see that.

As for me and my F800GSA, we’ll look to take off next Thursday. Hopefully, I’ll see some of you dummies on the trail.
    Commiehunter likes this.