WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Prefer Dirt

Prefer Dirt Halfway There... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am headed out S to N on Thursday 10/1 as well. Hope I see you out there. Ride safe.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  2. goayala

goayala Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went through Section 3 yesterday with my 800GS, wife’s XT250, a friends weestrom. A little rain kept things interesting, but the mud at the washouts was bad enough to kill the weestrom. Coasted it 26 miles towards Wenatchee and found a place to stay dry for the night
    cgguy09 likes this.
  3. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Section 2 is closed off by locked fence and gate at N Wenas Rd. The track as published will not work due to fire damage and bridge closure. South to North will need to find an alternate to N Wenas Rd.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  4. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Which gate on Wenas? There are 2 - one a bit uphill towards Umtanum and Baby hill, the other one just off the paved Wenas rd, before the creek crossing. On that, there is no bridge as you get to 410, the other way there is a bridge coming down from the towers and that would be hard to cross without it.
  5. GotFog

Oddometer:
    It is the paved road access that is gated and locked twice. The gate near Stage Coach Park. The bridge across the creek is burned but passable on moto, but as you approach pavement there are two gates both locked and tall fences.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 and wheelzngearz like this.
  7. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the two gates you must open to exit the Wildlife area just south of N Wenas Road. The parking area there is known as the Hay Barn cause they store hay there to feed the elk in winter. What did you do, go back up Cleman Mt since the gates were locked? Or take the Cross-Over green dot road from upper Evans /Jones Canyon road north to the Milk Canyon green dot road then down to Barbecue Flats and Maloy Road to Wenas Junction. It seems like the Milk Canyon road would be a way to slightly re route the descent off Cleman Mt and would bypass the gate closure. I think Milk Canyon is a better route anyway.... Still don't know if Umptanum jeep trail is back open, but the person I spoke to at DNR last week says it is. Sounds like I'm gonna have to do a recon ride today and find out what is up over there.
    Watercat and cgguy09 like this.
  8. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that is the Hay Barn in the pic.
  9. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    :ricky
    Let us know what you find.... trying to figure out these surprises prior to my departure on Thursday!
    Thanks & ride safe!

Also? If the bridge is passable, did you sneak around @GotFog ?
  10. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    95B66B67-80CF-4919-8EB6-62377CF73F81.jpeg
    Ride Now likes this.
  11. GotFog

Oddometer:
    We went back up the track about 1/2 mile and went SE to what looked like another access to the road. It too is closed and burnt out blocked with boulders and the like. But you can maneuver around those and you come to a walking bridge. A fallen tree partially blocks the access but 1 strong guy can lift it high enough so that 2 loaded bikes can slip under and squeak across the white steel walking bridge. It too is gated but was not locked as of yesterday. Hope this helps
  12. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.dnr.wa.gov/go#trail-maps-and-green-dot-road-maps.1
    Well I did a 40 mile recon today in beautiful weather and excellent riding conditions thanks to the recent rains and found out a lot. Basically, there is no way down from the top of Cleman Mt down to the Wenas due to gates being locked as Got Fog found out yesterday. I would not go the way he did (though I don't blame him- I might have done the same in his situation)) as he crossed on the Hardy Canyon pedestrian bridge to get out to Wenas Road. Scratch what I said about coming down Milk Canyon green dot road from the top of Cleman Mt as I found out today it is gated at the bottom just before the Barbecue Flats Campground and the connection to Maloy Road. I got down to Wenas Rd today by the 1701 (Bald Mt Road) up to the 4 way junction at the top of the ridge then east on the 1714 road just north of the junction. The 1714 connects up with the green dot road system at the edge of the forest lands and here you take the What Rd- Dipping Vat road down to Barbq Flats and out to Maloy Rd. Best to look at the Wenas green dot map linked to above. This is a pretty fun route down to the Wenas valley but not trivial and has a few moderately tech sections... The good news is when I got down to the valley I confirmed the gate accessing Umtanum Ridge jeep trail was open. Didn't have the time or the fuel to go past the gate but it seems like unless the bridge across Umtanum Creek on Durr Road is closed this part of Section 2 (my favorite) is open for business. I don't recall any gates on that side anyway. The Wenas-Ellensburg Pass road is open also. The bypass mentioned in post 5503 is still a viable option too.
    Prefer Dirt and thirsty 1 like this.
  13. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, it's too bad they fenced off Malloy Rd - few years back it was a very nice alternative. Looking at my GPS tracks from this summer 1701 is the "only option" but instead of using 1714, I would go 1712.

So going S -> N follow all the way to Cleman, down 1712 - cross Malloy (do not turn right, there is the new fence about 2 years back) but and connect to 1701
    Prefer Dirt and thirsty 1 like this.
  14. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wheelzngearz! I am headed out Thursday and this is super helpful. Once again, could you take a look at the gpx and tell me if I have interpreted you correctly? Appreciate you generously giving of your knowledge of the area.
    Update: removed gpx. It was wrong, didn't want anyone to follow accidently.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tomasv, are you saying to follow 1711 all the way to 1712 and then take a left on 1712 and follow that to 1701? This would be a good alternative and still getting in the challenging section at the top of 1711.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  16. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see a couple issues with your track. You missed the key turnoff from 1714 to the Dipping Vat green dot. Best I can do is provide a link to a map where I have marked the turnoff "D" then follow the letters east down to Wenas. Marker H is where the road jogs west to bypass Section 15 which is private property. The base map you used does not show these roads but they are there.
    As Thomas said you could do the standard route up the 1711 up to Cleman Mt then north down 1712 to the 4 way junction if you wanted to add mileage. There is a possibility of descending Cleman Mt down to Barbeque Flats via the Lookout Rd (aka Box Spring Canyon) just north of Milk Canyon Rd. This is the only green dot I have not ridden in the area but I have been up the adjacent Mill Canyon and would not recommend it- think human head vs. baby head and also very steep in a few spots..
    If you and cgguy09 are passing through here on Friday I might be interested in hooking up and riding north of 410 with you all the way to Durr Rd and I could come back via Manastash Ridge. Send me a PM if interested.

https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=46.89129,-120.87072&z=15&t=U&marker0=46.88261,-120.97522,10.0 km SE of Cliffdell WA&marker1=27.98028,86.66861,Gokyo Lakes&marker2=47.04400,-121.14741,n47 2.640 w121 8.844&marker3=46.89542,-120.88763,28.1 km WxSW of Ellensburg WA&marker4=46.89138,-120.88167,unnamed&marker5=46.89340,-120.85888,26.2 km WxSW of Ellensburg WA&marker6=46.88401,-120.83111,24.9 km WxSW of Ellensburg WA&marker7=46.88029,-120.83227,25.2 km WxSW of Ellensburg WA&marker8=46.87513,-120.82931,25.3 km WxSW of Ellensburg WA&marker9=46.87158,-120.82528,25.2 km WxSW of Ellensburg WA&marker10=46.87017,-120.81300,24.5 km SW of Ellensburg WA
    SilverAdvRdr, Prefer Dirt and cgguy09 like this.
  17. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Wheelzngearz, thanks! I will study the map later and get back to you. CGguy09 and I are headed out together starting Thursday. Our goal is Ellensburg on the first day. Would love to ride with you if you are available on Thursday. I will pm you with more info
    cgguy09 likes this.
  18. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    That’s helpful. Like at @preferdirt said, we’ll need to study it, looks like a lot of opportunities to make a wrong turn.
    I’ll compare it with my garmin topos And see what I can find. Appreciate you sending that.
  19. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    I see you guys are on 800 GS and KTM 790. Not sure about your riding skills BUT as @wheelzngearz said some, or rather most of the roads are steep there, with a loose silk dust. Look at the maps in detail and I would strongly suggest a strap or even better pully, just in case you need to get over some of the steep shit. There is 2 of you, so that should be no issue.
    thirsty 1, wheelzngearz and cgguy09 like this.
  20. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks @tomasv, I carry 2 pulleys and a progress capture. Hopefully my skills are up to the task. Consider myself advanced on my 250XC-W, the 790 has been fantastic but it's new to me this year and is not easy to pick up off the ground! This forum has been fantastic, super helpful in getting me immersed in the Adv world. Hey @wheelzngearz I have another GPX if you could look at it?
    UPDATE: Well that map doesn't show a lot of the roads that show up on gaiagps. Switch to Street & Satellite and you can see the roads are there. Hard to verify.

Attached Files:

wheelzngearz likes this.