WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Updated track looks great!
    cgguy09 likes this.
  2. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Alright: Full tank, bags packed, windscreen off, GPX uploaded, map in hand and I hired @Prefer Dirt to pick up my bike. Ready for the WABDR tomorrow.
    Flying Frisian and spencermarkd like this.
  3. Prefer Dirt

Prefer Dirt Halfway There... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha! Don't know about that, I do know that two picking it up is way better than one. I am ready to tackle it tomorrow. Appreciate @wheelzngearz and @tomasv for helping with pre-ride route selection.
    Flying Frisian and cgguy09 like this.
  4. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys and enjoy! I am stuck at my desk...
  5. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did section 1 yesterday. At the Mt. Hood view point I ran into 2 guys who had been there 2 days, trying to fix one of the bikes. The younger guy, Steve, was riding a Triumph Tiger 800 with Dunlop Mission tires and Irv(?), a 70 year old guy was riding an older model R1200GS with Heidenau tires. At the rutted section before the Mt. Hood viewpoint, the older guy had dropped his bike and hadn't been able to start it after that. His luggage was broken as well so they decided to camp right there and try to fix the bike. By the time I got there yesterday morning, they said they'd been there 2 days!!! We talked for a while and I asked them if they needed help but they told me they were going to try a few things and call for help if that didn't work. They told me they had a cellphone signal at this location so I didn't need to call anyone. I guess they're lucky because none of them carried a spot or Garmin tracking device. Anyway, I had a blast doing section 1. There were a few wet sections on the west side but nothing that caused any problems.

I hope Steve and Irv make it out of there one of these days. I promised to check on them next year when I plan to do the entire WABDR with some buddies.

The picture below shows my Africa Twin and the stranded guys with their bikes behind it.

20200929_114804.jpg 20200929_114749.jpg
  6. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, 6 sections in six days and we made the border by noon today. 2 old guys on loaded GSA's made it, got filthy but it is doable. Awesome track. Thanks for putting this together BDR guys. Now off to do IDBDR N to S. See you in 10 days! 20201001_113152.jpg
  7. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Section 1&2 complete. The Hay Barn bypass was successful, not much different than coming off Bethel Ridge

Attached Files:

8. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that! Enjoy guys.
  9. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    bald tires and overloaded GS's ... classic :rofl
    1090yoyo, GotFog and ktmrider221 like this.
  10. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    F68C153C-FF70-43DA-BF63-A07D4830B662.jpeg
    That was an awesome ride!
  11. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Prefer Dirt likes this.
  12. cgguy09

Oddometer:
  13. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Haha, you are a rock star! That trip was a blast. After all of this COVID stuff, glad I got to ride it with you, clear my head and get ready to hunker down for winter. Already, thinking about Idaho.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  14. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    Babyhead, If you haven't seen it since the fire. Babyhead in Umtanum.JPG
  15. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    Yeah, wow, that's a tad different than I remember. Geez.....
    cgguy09 likes this.
  16. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    No kidding, I will need to get out there in the next few weeks. Photos look dramatic, but I am going to miss that big three that marked the "last hard turn" going S -> N
  17. wheelzngearz

wheelzngearz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dramatic in this case is an understatement. I had to go up myself and check out the fire damage 4 days ago. Umtanum Ridge will never be the same again. Completely blown out by what must have been a very hot fire. I usually go S-N up the ridge and typically take the Black Canyon variation near the top. Black Canyon is completely fried and is already blocked by numerous large fallen pines so I had to turn around and go the standard route. Turned around at the top of the ridge and went back down to Wenas with a very heavy heart-going to be a while before I head back there again.:(:

On the positive side the gate at the bottom of Milk Canyon green dot on Cleman Mt next to Barbeque Flats is now open so one could go that way and avoid the "haybarn bypass".
    Prefer Dirt and 1090yoyo like this.
  18. Prefer Dirt

Oddometer:
    I had the same feeling. Had a hard time making it up this time. Stalled 100 feet from top and turned around and went back down for another run. That’s when I took this picture, sat there for awhile almost in disbelief. Riding through it, seeing it and worse smelling it was a bummer. Hoping for a speedy recovery to the area.
  19. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    All gates are open but the bridge at Wenas is "closed". The bridge is very ridable on a bike but I wouldn't drive a car over it. It has a spot where it's bunt through. We hopped from FS 70 - 410 Whistlin Jacks for oat soads 410 - I5. Its still very rocky coming up from 410 and the section from Wenas up the ridge is just as bad or worst than baby head hill. The burnt out section is like riding on the moon! Zero vegetation in places and the rain has washed the topsoil away. IT's ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY!!! And big rocks too!!!

IMG_2759.JPG IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2764.JPG IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2767.JPG
    Ladybug, 1090yoyo, Ride Now and 8 others like this.
  20. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there’s snow on blewitt pass? Thinking of one last blast before snow hits.