WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! We can go ANYWHERE! Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. coal pile #9

coal pile #9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice photos. Sorry to hear the conditions are bad right there. It already was stark and desolate territory. Many key bits of the native war history are centered at Wenas. Certain murders of miners happened on Old Durr Rd, and others happened on Wenas Creek at the Yakima River.

Oct. 3, I completed the WABDR (at age 70, which was satisfying) on my trusty DR650. My camp gear weighted fifty pounds, plus riding gear. We completed the six sections in four elapsed days, but in two shots. The last shot, we covered 150 miles of the route, above and below Chelan. We rode over Chumstick Mt. on a clear night, under an orange harvest moon. The ride, and the route, and the experience, was special.

We chose to ride the tough sections. The Mt. Clemans bit had an unforgettable uphill, but went okay, considering. I was able to stand on the pegs going up the ominous Babyhead Hill, but found that I had no command over the moon dust (amidst the cattle near Ruby. My riding partner got hurt there a month ago, so we had to return to complete the journey).

My favorite viewpoints were from above Lake Chelan, from Bethel Ridge, Looking UP at Mt. Adams, up cllose, and seeing the Columbia from Wenatchee Mt.

It was an awesome undertaking. I have a taste to do more of such riding.
  3. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. coal pile #9

coal pile #9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ABOUT THE LAST HALF OF SECTION TWO:
    Wanna know some cool stuff about the land you were riding on? It is special land.

The two wagon trains of 1853 travelled up the Wenas Creek, north from Selah. The trade route across the Naches Pass did just that.
    In the Theodore Winthrop book, By Canoe and Saddle, George McClellan is found surveying on Naches Pass, operating out of Wenas.
    Wenas was the home of the two Yakima war chief brothers, Owhi and Teias.
    (Winthrop called Wenas "Stenchville," and called Chief Teias "the Mayor of Stenchville.")
    Winthrop had a falling out with his guide in Stenchville; at the point of a gun, the guide went unpaid. It was 1853, and he would soon fight in nine battles here.
    The native, a son of Chief Owhi, would fight Custer twenty years later, and in his old age, would express regret for not killing Mr. Winthrop, in Wenas.

Phil Sheridan's memoirs show he was a dragoon looking for hostiles in the deep snow of the Yakima Valley. He was unsuccessful, and was poorly guided, by going up the Naches River. (The warriors were in the Wenas area... and so was the route to the Naches Pass.)

In June of 1856, Col. Wright's infantry command plodded from Naches, to Kittitas, across Blewitt Pass, and to Leavenworth, in a low-speed pursuit of Chief Owhi.
    Mules had to carry their cannon across the Umptaneum.

The native tempers blew up in this area, causing war:
    --Around July of 1856, miners Mattice and Eaton were murdered (by "Indian Charlie") on Old Durr Road.
    --Qualchain, another son of Owhi, attacked six miners on Wenas Creek.
    --Two miners escaped, to raise the alarm in Puget Sound.
    --The Indian Agent who investigated the murders was killed, prompting military action. This was repulsed on two fronts in October.
    ---After defeating Col Haller in Toppenish, Qualchain and Teias moved a war party of 250 fully painted fighters through Wenas, to oppose Lt. Slaughter.

In the spring of 1858, Owhi's son Qualchain killed Chief SoHappy (of the Priest Rapids tribe), in Lyle. The issue was that Qualchain needed the 200 horses grazing there, to reactivate the native war.

Source? Mostly A.J. Splawn, Kamiakin, Last Hero of the Yakimas
  5. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's looking like the end is here!! Sorry to be so negative but honesty is a bitch sometimes. :-) We had a sketchy pass run in the high 20's this morning and ended up at Table Mountain around 11ish. Cold !!! :vardy:vardy:vardy @ 22f. I run a heated liner and grips but I would have liked to have had a pair of heated glove liners as my finger tips were, well, COLD!!!!! :ace HAHA! All was well though and my place to turn around was handed to me along with my ass. :)

Unless you’re good on ice and snow I'd recommend 4 wheels until spring.

Cheers! all! Hope to see you on the road!!

Stopped for a beer at Kachess Lake.. DSC_0910.JPG DSC_0909.JPG DSC_0911.JPG DSC_0915.JPG DSC_0916.JPG
    No-Fret, outbacktm, Curtis76 and 16 others like this.
  6. TakeNotes

TakeNotes n00b

Oddometer:
    i have a 17 klr... what seat is that??? looks way better then my amazon pad
    coal pile #9 likes this.
  7. Prefer Dirt

Prefer Dirt Halfway There... Supporter

Oddometer:
    A shot in the dark here. I ran into a couple of ADV riders on the Overland trail in Tahuya yesterday 1/16/21. They were riding a KLR and 850 GS and were from Everett. They rode ORBDR last summer and are doing the UTBDR this summer. Hoping to reconnect with them. If they sound familiar would appreciate your help. Ride safe