WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 likes this.
  2. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. My plan was to drive clear across the continent to do the WABDR in early Summer. The news on lack of tanker truck drivers will not help me.

These are my first world problems! :-)
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  3. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to make a run the last week of July. I've got 220+ miles fuel range; my plan will be to fuel up early and often.
    Ride365 likes this.
  4. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone over in the Omak/Republic area?? Just wondering if there’s snow up in them thar parts??

Looking at 4,5,6 sections
    Derek939 likes this.
  5. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    No way you can do 4. There is snow just trying to get up to the ridge, forget going around Chumstick mt. and Baldy is even higher. It was snowing there again today!
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, heavy snowpack throughout the Cascades. Depending on how fast it melts, later may be better.
  7. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    I'd prefer to NOT camp along the WABDR. I'd rather not transport camping gear from New Hampshire and then all along the route. Also camping in wet weather isn't terribly pleasant.

Does anyone have lodging suggestions for the entire length of the route?

This is my buddy, Rick. I rode out to Washington in 2005 to ride with him. We encountered some rain in the Cascades. He didn't mind the rain, at all.

[​IMG]
  8. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    The WABDR route is not the same as coastal riding; it's on the edge of high desert. I anticipate my extra water bottle will be used more than my rain gear in late July.
    outbacktm, thirsty 1, NSR400 and 2 others like this.
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Yup, most people- even here in the two states- don't realize that 2/3 of OR and WA are high desert.
    outbacktm, Siorc and SilverAdvRdr like this.
  10. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Well, then. Perhaps I will bring my tent. :thumbup

The WABDR Butler map arrived today. Very timely. Also the BDR website has some information about lodging and camping.
  11. erg59

erg59 DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer:
    I will second what Siorc said..Any riding east of the cascade range is High and dry.. you will hope for rain, Have fun.
    outbacktm, thirsty 1, Siorc and 3 others like this.
  12. RustyNails

RustyNails Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a good resource for finding current snow depths. It always centers on the Sierra Nevada Mtns but I've found it to be accurate in WA/OR as well.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth/

Don't quote me here, but I believe just north of Takhlakh Lake in Section 1 is the highest point on the WABDR at about 4700ft. Surely it will be late June / early July before all of the snow is gone. I started on Section 1 last week and ran into snow on the north side of Trail Peak (maybe 30 miles out of Carson?) as expected this time of year.

Pic is from the vista point at Trail Peak last Friday. It rained on the way up the mountain but was super nice at the top with lots of water evaporating.

Attached Files:

13. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure but I think the northernmost leg has higher altitudes. Rode it in July/August IIRC and it was amazing. We'd left our camping gear at the campground in Conconully and rode back through the Sinlahekin Valley. Beautiful scenery.
  14. watox

watox BDR-Junky

Oddometer:
    Going to overland some of the WABDR North to South in a couple of weeks. Starting June 1st. Will pick up Section 4 in Cashmere and head south. Two questions:
    1. Will snow be an issue for legit 4x4's? We've done plenty of snow but if it gets deep enough that my bash plates are acting like sleds the BFGs can't do much good. HA
    2. Last time I did this section in 2018 there was a series of washouts on NF-9712 just south of the Mission Peak trailhead. One was pretty significant and very sketchy in my Defender 90. Wondering if that's been addressed at all. It'll be a different ballgame in a 4Runner instead of that top heavy Defender but still, the wife is not looking forward to that section of trail. These were the coordinates 47.2972417,-120.4458167
    We'll be dropping down and doing the Oregon BDR and then exploring NorCal after that (we have 3 weeks). Any insight into those is appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!
    Derek939 likes this.
  15. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the Butler map, Lone Frank Pass, north of Conconully, is the highest point on the WABDR at 6712 ft.
    1911fan likes this.
  16. cteunuch

cteunuch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for riding this North to South around mid July? Thinking of checking it out around then, my timing is fairly open, but sometime between 7/15-7/23 would be best.
  17. Third Rex

Third Rex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following along on this post for updated snow level info... All of that pow I was cheering for all ski season is gonna be here a while.

Planning to ride WABDR this summer as my first expedition-ish trip. Looks like I’ll have plenty of time before the roads open up for a couple of shakedown trips with my camping setup.
  18. Big Hig

Big Hig n00b

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever hear of someone doing WABDR on a Honda Monkey? What do you think? I’m thinking about doing it this summer.
    Siorc, pointsunknown and NSR400 like this.
  19. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Doooo eeeeeet! :wink:
  20. Derek939

Derek939 Available in Extra Medium

Oddometer:
    If my ole wing can do it the lil monkey can too!
    NSR400, Big Hig and Ride Now like this.