Walking around in motoport or other textile when you get there

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NotSoYoung, Jun 15, 2019.

1. NotSoYoung

NotSoYoung n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning 2 week trips this summer. Probably maritimes 65F - 90F , humid. But will also do NC in September.

Thinking of motoport stretch jeans or over pants, or maybe Klim ( although I’m ok without goretex with just putting rain gear on when needed). I’ve read lots of threads on how they feel riding.

But... I have not found much about what to do when you get there. When we ride long days, and just stop for lunch, it’s fine keeping my textile/leather mix pants on.

But when we ride to visit things, whether an old fort, a quaint town or a short hike in a park: not so good.

Those of you who do this type of touring , what is best? I really like the motoport stretch back/ mesh front jeans but are they too hot for 85F in the sun ( they are black). Is it better to have their overpant ( also looking at Olympia airglide) and just take them off and tie them to the bike somehow?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
    Davidprej likes this.
  2. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally prefer non-overpant armored pants to ride, like my Rev-It Gear pants.
    But I'm not 'secure enough in my masculinity' to walk around in the leggings I wear under those.
    However I can squeeze a thin pair of Columbia convertible pants under my Klim Lattitude pants.
    That, and the frequency of rain expected on a trip, are deciding factors what to bring.
    Maybe some board shorts would fit under your preferred riding kit.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  3. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When touring I always keep some shorts and flips in the top box. When I get there I just strip the pants off and throw on the shorts. No one notices if you do it fast. Quicker stops I don't bother.
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Columbia convertible pants are great. Never thought I'd say the being a blue jeans guy for my entire 53 years.
    I bought a pair only because I'm focused on packing light but found them very useful after a day in the rain and checking in to a hotel then going to dinner.
    That's a great idea to put them under riding pants if you might be stopping to tourist around. I have Klim dakars. Unless it's miserable hot I'm going to try that.
    Wind Junky likes this.
  5. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Carry a cable to run through helmet / jacket sleeve / pant leg and just lock the stuff to the bike.
    If you like to hike for any real distance or challenging terrain, I am a fan of Chaco sandals rather than flip flops.
    cal08 and Wind Junky like this.
  6. NotSoYoung

NotSoYoung n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments.
    Which Columbia are the convertible?

I’ve done the shorts thing, and might still - but my wife is no so keen to do the same... ( she has her own bike so we have lots of storage however.
    So we’re wondering if motoport stretch jeans were too hot once off the bike?

A number of people here say ovrrpants are convenient, but armor moves around too much.
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ones I have are called Silver Ridge convertible.
    Reg $60 picked em up at Sierra for $24.99
    1560635564846.jpg
  8. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Visit REI, lots of options for light hiking and travel wear. Zip off convertible pants are the best option for travel and there are several brands at various price points.
  9. Speed Wheeler

Speed Wheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine how you guys wear the convertible type pants that unzip into shorts.
    I wasted my money on a pair and gave them to the Goodwill.
    The hairs on my legs kept getting caught in the zippers.

I'm guessing a lot of you blokes must shave your legs

*Seinfeld disclaimer (not that there's anything wrong with that) :hide
    Pavel+ and KevinP65 like this.
  10. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't love the convertible type pants in general but there are rare times they are just way to convenient.

I was blessed with fairly hairless knees :)

Having said that it doesn't matter where the hair is - I wouldn't want it caught in a zipper
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never tried to zip the legs on or off with the pants on. I either wear as long pants or shorts.
    I will note that I have another pair of thicker ones I always wore as shorts. One day I grabbed the legs out of the drawer to zip on and whoa the color wasn't even close because the legs had never been washed :-).
    The Columbia ones I just bought stay with my MC gear and are not for other use.
    I bought them strickly to pack light. Riding pants I'm wearing and the convertibles. Then I've got shorts or casual pants covered and they are thin, light, and quick drying.
  12. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahhh....no! This sounds like a personal problem.

I've hiked in convertible pants for several years and over many many miles and have never had a zipper hair catch issue. Just like riding, on a hike as the day warms up, it's easy to remove the lowers and turn them into shorts without having to remove shoes. I do tend to like the REI brand because they fit me best.
  13. Speed Wheeler

Speed Wheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Travman must be another one with no leg hair
  14. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use RailRiders under Aerostitch pants. Works a treat.
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of Prana Brion pants for hiking/general wear/travelling/etc - they pack extremely small, are a 4 way stretch material, dry fast, and and thin enough you could wear them under most riding pants or just stow them easily in a bag. If I'm stopping for a bunch of warm weather exploration, that's what I'd bring.

I also have a pair of Spidi riding jeans that are single layer dyneema woven, and look nice enough to wear on their own. Good for day trips.
  16. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the BMW Summer 3 pants. They can be converted to shorts as the legs above the knee armor zip off. You can't tell they're motorcycle pants. The are lightweight, cool and has all the hip and knee armor for the ride. I carry some sandals in my panniers and use a Pac-safe security net for my boots, jacket and helmet locked to my bike.
  17. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have both the Motoport Mesh and Stretch pants. They can be worn around as pants for a walk, but neither are super comfortable. The stretch is not very breathable, but the fabric is more comfortable against your skin than the mesh. I tend to wear a couple pairs of shorts under the pants (Motoskiveez and a pair of Hanes Cool Dri underware) but when I'm stopping for a while, I'll take off the jacket and pants and put on a pair of cargo shorts or my Columbia pants.
  18. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    If walking around in hot temps is a priority for you, you don't want anything waterproof. There is a vast difference between 'breathable' and 'comfortable.' If I wanted purpose-built riding pants that I could reasonably walk around in I'd go Motoport Cordura riding jeans for sure...only game in town that I know of that would accomplish both riding protection and reasonable comfort in hot walking conditions.
  19. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, why the extra layer? Hanes Cool Dri are my go-to undies, but I ride in Moto Skivvies without an additional layer and they work great. I'm asking because if you've noticed some benefit I'll try it.

Thanks!
  20. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny you should ask that...but I spent years trying every possible remedy to cure riding ass pain that has ever been reported. In my opinion, there are 2 things that make your ass hurt while riding...vibration induced numbness and the more traditional 'monkey butt' raw skin. The Motoskiveez/Sargent Seat/Beadrider has fixed the vibration issues for me 100%. But once the inner pads on the Motoskiveez got wet from sweat or rain, the movement from me moving around on the seat would make my ass raw in no time at all. So, my solution was to have the added high tech synthetic shorts under the Motoskiveez to provide additional drying and allow movement that didnt sand my ass like a sheet of 80 grit. Now I can ride all day long...700-800 miles and do it again day after day.