1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wandering from my meandering (Latest: Chipmunks on the IDBDR July 2020)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    June 22, 2020: La Sal Mountain, Onion Creek loop

In the afternoon, Imu and I redid a loop that the group had done last year, but someone got lost and didn't finish it. Brian (probably wisely) chose to forego the heat of the afternoon ride.
    It really wasn't too bad as a lot of it was at higher elevations on La Sal.

The route starts out Sand Flats Road, past Slickrock.
    [​IMG]

I tried to keep track of @simbaboy because, well just 'cuz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Altitude picks up pretty quickly, and the pleasant temperatures are matched with great views.
    [​IMG]

We stopped at the Dinosaur Footprint overlook.
    [​IMG]

The mountain uplifting put the print here, so there wasn't really a cliff that the dinosaur walked off of.
    [​IMG]

A series of steps.
    [​IMG]

An Imusaurus.
    [​IMG]

As well as a specimen of Nimrodasaurus.
    [​IMG]

And something a bit more believable.
    [​IMG]
    No rattlesnakes seen.

The landscape shows the increased moisture above 8000 feet.
    [​IMG]

It starts to return to the desert just as quickly.
    [​IMG]

Riding stays nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing TOO technical on this ride, but no lack of views.
    [​IMG]

A side road off of Onion Creek Road leading towards the Rose Garden and Top of the World trails.
    [​IMG]
    An area I'd like to spend more time in when it's not in triple digits.

[​IMG]
    I bought this WR450F specifically because I wanted a lighter bike for these Moab trips, as well as other desert riding. It's been great for all that.

Getting deeper into Onion Creek.
    [​IMG]

Imu sneaks ahead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imu is a favorite riding partner. He's fun to hang out with, and he lets me browbeat him into stretching his riding.
    (Video 1:35 - No music)

While it wasn't the most challenging ride around Moab, it was a great way to spend time with a friend in a magical part of the world.
  2. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loved the Spanish guitar music in an earlier video.
    Loved me saying "I Hate That Spot" just after Pucker Pass (fallen rock).
    And I really value your friendship and riding with you --- I think I am a better rider because of your coaching (and others have coached too).
    None have yelled at me "Get The Fuck On The Pegs" or something like that. :imaposer

Imu

[​IMG]

Always looking out for everybody---clearing rocks to make it easier on the other riders.
    [​IMG]
  3. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Not a ska fan, eh? I'm just waiting for the right video to use some Offspring. You'll LOVE that. Nine Inch Nails also on deck.

I believe it was "STAND THE FUCK UP!"

Seeing that it was my GF second in line, it seemed a prudent thing to do... move rocks or potentially have to go wade out to pick up the bike.
    norton73, sealsam and simbaboy like this.
  4. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2020
    June 23, 2020: Hurrah Pass and Jackson Hole

An early morning for the three of us, Brian, Imu, and I. We left Moab and rode in the shade along the Colorado River and Kane Creek for quite a while. The morning light is so dramatic on these canyon features.
    [​IMG]

If you didn't know how warm it was going to be later in the afternoon, one would almost think it was too chilly.
    [​IMG]
    We knew better.

@simbaboy trying to muscle in on my picture taking gig.
    [​IMG]
    The road had been freshly graded, which caused some issues.

[​IMG]
    Winding up the cliff faces towards Hurrah Pass

Once over the pass, it gets a lot more technical on the Chicken Corners Rd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imu and Brian continued out to Chicken Corners, but I hung a right and headed out the Jackson Hole trail (past Base Camp Adventure Lodge).
    [​IMG]
    The two track road was pretty rough, either rocky or sandy at any particular time. Sometimes both.
    [​IMG]
    The video below shows the road condition a lot better.

It goes back down to the Colorado River, essentially across from the potash ponds along Potash Rd.
    [​IMG]
    I could have gotten some great shots of the drying ponds, but thought I could get better scenery.

Once the three of us were back together, we wandered around a little, even checking out the north end of the Lockhart Basin route. We all decided that was too big for us (at least on that day).

Heading back towards town, the views on the east side of Hurrah Pass usually get me to stop.
    [​IMG]
    Actually, I stop a lot everywhere in the Moab area due to the scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a lot more side-by-sides on the route than I'd seen in the past. Many more than I would have expected due to the heat and covid issues.
    [​IMG]

The lighting changes the look of these points considerably.
    [​IMG]

At this point, we were glad for the shady parts of the ride.
    [​IMG]

Compilation video of the day.
    (Video 6:08 - with music, but without Ska)

Imu and Brian went back out in the afternoon after lunch and shakes at Milt's, but I laid low nursing my leg (see the video) in anticipation of the next day's ride around the White Rim Trail. Probably for the best as both the others got pretty gassed by the heat when they went out to Gemini Bridges.

The ride out to Chicken Corners is a great one, with spectacular views at the end as a payoff for the very rough riding to get there. Jackson Hole is similar in roughness, but with less canyon clinging views. I enjoyed going out there, but at the same time am happy that Imu took Brian out to Chicken Corners since he'd not been out there before.
  5. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics and a great video compilation..
    Jackson Hole looks like a very nice ride.
    Thank you for taking the time.
    Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  6. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I took the safety of a known ride - - -Chicken Corners---over riding with you to Jackson Hole.

I wish I had ridden with you (Brian would have followed us) as he really did not enjoy CC. He kept wanting to give up and I kept telling him a few more miles, a few more miles, ...

Next Time!

Imu
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2020
    June 24 (Part 1): Mesa Arch sunrise

We got a REALLY early start this day as we wanted to watch the sun rise at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park. Imu had been talking about this for a couple of years, so we decided this was the year and we'd hit the White Rim Trail afterwards (which we wanted to start in the morning coolness anyway). Brian and Oliver (first time riding with us) decided to join us.

It was still dark riding out to the park. We stuck to the highway, though it would have been interesting (if unwise) to have taken Pot Ash, Long Canyon, or even Gemini Bridges up in the dark.

We got there a little before the sun appeared over the La Sal mountains, which was just the timing we'd planned. Unfortunately that meant all the good seats were already taken.
    [​IMG]
    Imu must have spilled the beans on this attraction.

It's supposed to show up here.
    [​IMG]

Down there is where we'll be later.
    [​IMG]

Almost
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Da boys.
    [​IMG]
    Imu (@simbaboy ), Oliver (@Emb120 ), and Brian (@Socal996 )

The trail beckons...
    [​IMG]

There we go.
    [​IMG]

And the crowd goes wild.
    [​IMG]
    In a very understated, quiet smile sort of way. (I had some serious camera envy going on BTW.)

[​IMG]
    Someone was so excited at some point, they lost their cap.
    [​IMG]
    Turns out, that was contagious.

Sweet!
    [​IMG]
    (Except for all those other people's parts...)

It was quite magical.
    [​IMG]
    The glow from the sunlight was unreal.

OK. Maybe the trail can wait just a little longer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full exposure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crowd started to disperse quickly, and we headed back towards the bikes. The view looking in the other direction wasn't too shabby either.
    [​IMG]

The early, early morning start was well worth it.

Our job here is done!

Let's ride!!
    norton73 likes this.
  8. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2020
    June 24 (Part 2): White Rim Trail

I'd been worried about the off I had the previous day. It had been a painful and slow moving afternoon. I wasn't too sure how gimped up I'd be.
    [​IMG]
    No, no, I'm feeling much better.

After seeing the spectacular sunrise at Mesa Arch, we hit the trail. Well, Imu, Oliver, and Brian hit the trail. I stopped at the visitor center for some business. Yes, that. But I also dropped a two liter soda bottle of gasoline into the bike and disposed of the repurposed container.

Needless to say, I was a little behind when I started down Schafer Switchbacks.
    [​IMG]
    They were still in sight.
    [​IMG]
    OK, a lot is still in sight when you have a thousand plus feet of elevation advantage.

It didn't take too long to catch up, even with the delays of stopping for pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Because how can you not stop?
    [​IMG]

It did help that Oliver's tail rack "fell off." He had just mounted it to his new F850GS. The manufacturer had engineered it for the 1250, but says it has perfect fitment on the smaller bike. Yeah, not so much. After some field Macguyver work, we got it attached enough to last the rest of the trip. Which I took advantage of the opportunity to jet out in front.

Till I stopped for more pictures. Brian @Socal996
    [​IMG]

Oliver @Emb120
    [​IMG]

Imu @simbaboy
    [​IMG]

Ooohhh! Pretties!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imu stretching his lead on me.
    [​IMG]

Then another breakdown let me catch up. (DUDES! I don't need your help!) This time Brian's fuel line was leaking. It was a short, molded, curved line that went from his tank/petcock. It was like it had been partially sliced. As it turned out, this was the second time it had failed. The duct tape fix of the first time didn't last long, so we tried electrical tape this time, with some zip ties to help hold the patch. We joked that it was a good thing Mrs. Brian didn't know where the brake lines were.

Feeling the need to let the group get WAY out ahead, I took the left and dropped down into Lathrop Canyon. It was a pretty sweet ride down to the Colorado River, not being as sandy as I'd feared being later in the season.

Looking up the canyon.
    [​IMG]

Colorado River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding upcanyon in Lathrop is one of my favorite views.
    [​IMG]

The lighting was quite different than I'd seen before.
    [​IMG]
    Usually I get to Lathrop in the afternoon, not morning.

Back on the Rim, the views up to Island in the Sky are awesome.
    [​IMG]
    I believe the prominent outcrop is the "Washer Women."

It's a big place.
    [​IMG]

Great riding too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where parts of the road go boggles the mind.
    [​IMG]

Where the road doesn't go is pretty impressive too.
    [​IMG]

I'd passed a couple of guys which was surprising given how much I was stopping for pictures.
    [​IMG]

I finally met up with Imu, who was waiting for the lot of us on a little rise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We waited for Brian and Oliver, but they seemed to be a lot further behind than they ought to have been...
    norton73, liv2day and simbaboy like this.
  9. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2020
    June 24 (Part 3): White Rim Trail

After what seemed like a REALLY long wait in the sun, worrying about the other two riders, Imu and I finally saw a rider in the distance. Imu, wanting to maintain his lead on the rest of us, headed out.
    [​IMG]

Leaving me to watch for and photograph...
    Brian!
    [​IMG]
    And Oliver (that tiny speck in the distance).
    [​IMG]

He eventually got a little closer.
    [​IMG]
    It was a little weird not being the guy on the "too large" bike for a change.

Turns out that the adhesive on electrical tape is no more resistant to gasoline than that of duct tape, leading Brian's Husky to start leaking fuel again. Taking a different tack, he and Oliver replaced the sliced hose with a length of tubing from Oliver's hydration pack. This seemed to be holding up a lot better.

Recommence the views!
    [​IMG]

This was my fourth time around the loop.
    [​IMG]

It's not getting old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just around that corner, I found Brian stopped for leaking fuel yet again.

He was very frustrated, so I stepped in and did some of the work for him. This time, the bit of hose from the hydration pack had melted from the engine heat. It had lasted quite a distance, so we were about to cut a chunk off Brian's pack when he had the brilliant idea to use some of the vent hose from the fuel tank. THIS got him through the rest of the ride.

And away he goes!
    [​IMG]

Of course, when one is riding the White Rim Trail in a clockwise direction like we were, one doesn't hit the real technical sections till late in the day. Murphy's hogsback was the first big climb, and it was very tricky.
    Imu took these two shots of me making the climb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was challenging enough that I did it twice.

We stopped for lunch at the top. The view was fulfilling too.
    [​IMG]

Normally, the incline on the west side of Murphy's Hogsback is the trickier one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But none of us had any issues.
    [​IMG]

Indeed the next big hill, Hardscrabble, was easier than normal on both sides. But still lots of great riding before we got there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The increasing clouds did start to impact some of the lighting.
    [​IMG]

The multiple repair stops had us starting to get a bit low on water too. Especially Oliver's needing to dump his gallon jug of water to keep the weight down on his rack. Fortunately Brian found a friendly camper that shared a little water with us.
    [​IMG]

THEN up to Hardscrabble. The approach.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brian swings the corner wide.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oliver bringing up the rear.
    [​IMG]
    He handled the bigger bike really well on the sometimes challenging terrain.

The top of Hardscrabble.
    [​IMG]

Imu took this shot, also from Hardscrabble I think.
    [​IMG]

But I was starting to worry about the weather.
    [​IMG]
    I really didn't want to come up out of Mineral Bottom in the rain. Fortunately, it didn't rain on us, but it was very windy and dusty the rest of the ride.

One last meet up next to the Green River.
    [​IMG]
    (Pic from Imu)

[​IMG]
    The climb out of Mineral Bottom was fine, if dusty from the wind.
    [​IMG]

This was the first time I've ridden this route clockwise, versus three times counter-clockwise. I'm glad we did it, as the lighting and views are obviously different with the change in times and perspectives. But overall, I think I prefer counter-clockwise. The technical portions are in the first third of the route going that way, so you're a bit fresher hitting them. Also, morning along the Green River is absolutely stunning.

Compilation video from the day.
    (Video 4:48 with music)

Can't wait for a fifth lap next year!
  10. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    @ScotsFire

Robert--excellent pictures and narration.

I am very impressed with your patience to get the correct framing and lighting for the pics.

My goal on The WRT has always been to 'just get through' and therefore have resisted the ride down Lathrop Canyon to the river. Next time I will ride with you to the river. And I am more than just getting through it.

Very nice.

Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  11. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2020
    June 25: Slick Rock and Tower Arch

With both Brian and Oliver having left our little group, it was just Imu @simbaboy and I on the last day of riding in Moab. We decided to "take it easy" and just do a shorter ride out to Tower Arch in Arches National Park. But first, I wanted to check out Slick Rock a little. Three previous trips to Moab and had yet to try any of it.

So we started early again, but not nearly so as the previous day. Imu first took me to Baby Lion's Back.
    [​IMG]
    This is the simplest and shortest track. Kind of the training wheels route.

(Video 2:49 - no music)

Despite getting lost on a quarter mile, out and back trail, Imu encouraged me to take on the Slick Rock Trail Practice Loop.

(Video 5:47 - no music)

This is some interesting riding that I'll have to do some more of in the future. I will say that the WR450 is total overkill for this type of riding.

We then headed out to Arches National Park. Most of the way to Tower Arch is paved or good gravel road. We didn't stop on the way to speak of, though I couldn't pass up this view of the La Sal Mountains.
    [​IMG]

There is no road that goes directly to Tower Arch, but there are two walking trails. One is about a mile and a half up and over a ridge line. The other is only a half mile or so, but you have to take some pretty sketch roads to get to this trail head. We took the longer, more sandy approach to the closer trailhead last year, and had decided to try the shorter, but supposedly more rocky one this time.

(Video 7:37 - no music)

Once to the trailhead, it is a short if somewhat confusing hike to the base of the arch.
    [​IMG]

The trail is not marked well, and at times we took a bit more challenging path.
    [​IMG]
    Though not at this exact spot.

[​IMG]

There was some rock scaling to get up to the actual floor of the arch.
    [​IMG]

It was a magical place!
    [​IMG]

These pictures don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]

Imu provides a scale marker.
    [​IMG]

Amazing place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some amazingly stupid acts.
    [​IMG]
    Levi L. You are a nimrod. That is all your inane markings show. Well, maybe some other descriptive words too.

Imu took advantage of the shade.
    [​IMG]

Gravity and I continued our ongoing discussion.
    [​IMG]

The locals were unimpressed.
    [​IMG]

I got the two of us a little bit lost on the way back to the bikes. Like I said, the trail wasn't very well marked. But we got back to the trailhead before either of us ended up a pile of bleached bones.

The ride out was longer, through several sections of deep sand, but overall not nearly as technical as the way we took in. And pretty.
    [​IMG]

Imu was so relieved to not have to go over the rocks again, he didn't even complain about the sand.
    [​IMG]
    Mostly.

Like (it seems) most of Imu and my rides, it was more challenging than we were expecting. And we were both pretty wore out after four days of riding in triple digit temperatures. But this was another great ride with a great friend.
    [​IMG]

Not sure I want to wait till next spring to ride with him again.
  12. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics and video again.
    I enjoy riding with you Professor --even when you yell at me about the f'ing pegs.
    Next year I will join you on more trails as the weight loss and endurance achievements will continue.

Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  13. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 10, 2020: Horse Creek Pass near the Salmon River

Vicki @NotaYinzer and I loaded up bikes, cranked a wide variety of tunes, and trucked down to just past Painted Rocks State Park in Montana, along the West Fork Bitteroot River. Leaving the truck at a National Forest trail head, we headed out for what was her first multiday ride planning on just wandering around the Salmon River area west of North Fork. This was a pretty easy route, and Vicki had ridden much more difficult before. But not loaded.

Weather was very nice as we started into the mountains.
    [​IMG]

Sadly, much of this area, if not most, is burn scar from several fires over the last couple decades.
    [​IMG]
    The good part is that it actually opens up the views. The bad part is... well pretty evident.

Mid-July is still spring in the Bitterroots.
    [​IMG]
    Especially above 7000 ft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I did this route in September of 2018 with @BA Chipmunk, but it hasn't changed much (other than the occasional snow). Lolo and Horse Creek 2018

Somebody was having a good time.
    [​IMG]
    As was I.

[​IMG]

Blue Nose Lookout is an abandoned fire lookout.
    [​IMG]
    Still an excellent ride up the hill, if a bit more challenging.

The last bit of the road to the lookout was still blocked with snow.
    [​IMG]

Close enough to the top that we could walk the last stretch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views are worth the effort to get there.
    [​IMG]

The motorcycle parking area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were other attractions as well.
    [​IMG]

With a little time to kill, it was time to take pictures of flowers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The way we came in.
    [​IMG]

Ah, seating is available.
    [​IMG]

Room with a view (if not a door).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's fun to have someone to take pictures of.
    [​IMG]

There's a lot of down to get to the Salmon River.
    [​IMG]

Vicki doing her best Tie Fighter Pilot impression.
    [​IMG]

And some more down.
    [​IMG]

Pretty easy afternoon of riding with camping overnight at Spring Creek Campground. It is nice enough, but firewood is pretty scarce (too bad the mosquitos aren't). So I ran back up Spring Creek Road a couple miles where I saw some sticks of firewood at a wild camp spot.
    [​IMG]
    Probably wouldn't use this as my primary wood gathering vehicle, but it did ok for the night.

Nice supper and company that evening. Weren't sure where we were going the next day, but we'd have fun!

(Video 2:34 - with music)
    norton73, Oldschoolrocker and liv2day like this.
  14. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 11, 2020: Around the Salmon - Pine Creek and Ulysses Mountain

After a nice evening at Spring Creek campground (despite the mosquitos), @NotaYinzer and I headed west a little down the Salmon River Road.
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful morning!

The history of mining was evident. Clipper Bullion Mine.
    [​IMG]
    As with many of the western states, mining was a huge reason Idaho was settled and grew.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At the bridge near the mouth of Pine Creek.
    [​IMG]

I'd come up with the idea that we could ride up the Pine Creek drainage and eventually come out somewhere on the Panther Creek Road, the "main" north/south route through the Salmon River Mountains, possibly going to the very small community of Cobalt.

Starting up Pine Creek Rd.
    [​IMG]
    It was a lot more lush than I expected.

The Pine Creek Ranch seems a pretty sweet set up.
    [​IMG]
    Supposedly has some Girl Scout facilities there. Neat summer camp spot.

The road picks up elevation quickly.
    [​IMG]

The road was narrow forest road, if still in pretty good shape.
    [​IMG]
    Woo hoo!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few miles, the road got much less use, but still had a good surface.
    [​IMG]
    Still climbing too.
    [​IMG]

After a couple hours of riding, we hit not one, but two permanent road closures that made getting out of the Pine Creek road system impossible. SOOO..

Back down to the Salmon River.
    [​IMG]
    Motorcycle riding is hardly the most common activity here.
    [​IMG]
    Doing some rafting on the Salmon is on my bucket list.
    [​IMG]

Not that the riding sucks by any measure.
    [​IMG]

Plan B was to fuel up at the lodge at the mouth of Panther Creek, then head further in towards the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. However, Duncan's Outpost is more of a private lodge now, and doesn't have any public services, nor gas pumps. (BTW, the Shoup store closed a couple years ago so wasn't available either.) This being the first trip on Vicki's XT250, the 2.1 gallon fuel tank showed it's limitations.

So we headed east and got fuel and some refreshments at North Fork, then headed north into the Bitterroots from there.
    [​IMG]
    It was nice picking elevation back up again, as it was pretty warm in the valley floors.

After meandering around a bit, we got up to Ulysses Mountain.
    [​IMG]

Vicki had a couple of offs coming up the road to the top. It was the most technical section of the whole trip, and still getting used to the heavier load wasn't helping. But the view, especially from the tower, made it worthwhile.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

West-ish down the Salmon River canyon.
    [​IMG]

East towards the Sapphire Mountains.
    [​IMG]

North further into the Bitterroots.
    [​IMG]
    The view didn't suck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The ever present burn scar.

We dropped down to US93 from here and camped at Twin Creek Campground, running into Gibbonsville to have supper at the Broken Arrow. Vicki seemed happy to take this last little run two up on the GS. She got pretty frustrated on Ulysses Mountain, but actually rode very well all day. One more day of riding, then slabbing in the cage back home.

Video compilation of day. Most of the footage is Vicki's!
    (Video 4:21 - with music)
    norton73 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  15. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 12, 2020: Lost Trail Pass (ID/MT border)

After a quieter than expected night at Twin Creeks Campground (it was full of families) we started due west hoping to find a dirt route back to the West Fork Bitterroot River where we had parked the truck. The map shows a trail network allowing motorcycles going through, so we decided to try that versus an hour plus slabbing US93 north.

Seemed very promising at the start.
    [​IMG]

Great weather and views, if not quite as stunning as along the Salmon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After several miles of two track, the road ended due to trees across it. Not sure if they were dropped on purpose, but I'd suspect not as they weren't very big. But multiple trees across the road are usually a sign that you shouldn't go further. At least on heavily loaded bikes. I checked out a singletrack trail, but again, the loaded bikes pretty much precluded taking it far.

A reroute back from US93 over Chief Joseph Pass put us right at Lost Trail Pass Ski Resort, which we rode through to get to the back side of their area.
    [​IMG]
    The elevation change was quite noticeable being right at the tree line.

Neat riding still.
    [​IMG]

Even with the burn scar and thickening clouds, it was beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Lot of fun passing through the alpine meadows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here thar be (well used to be anyway) Glaciers!
    [​IMG]

Middle of July and still some snow around.
    [​IMG]
    It is over 7800 feet elevation, so no real surprise.

We didn't find a way through that didn't narrow to windy single track, so we had to use the highway to get around to the truck. Despite this, this day capped an awesome three days of riding. Vicki got her first trip under her belt, and we found a couple things to improve with her set up. Very fun and successful trip!

(Video 4:51 with music)
    norton73 and Dangeross like this.
  16. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 10 - 12, 2020: Salmon River Area - The View from Venus

After putting up the previous post, @NotaYinzer gives me her pictures from the weekend. Her viewpoint is a bit different than mine, and she's got a pretty good eye. Amazing what a cell phone camera can do.

July 10
    Prepping the bikes just before taking off.
    [​IMG]

From Blue Nose Lookout
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The actual lookout.
    [​IMG]
    Flowers at no extra charge.

Shadows start early on the east slopes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our camp at Spring Creek Campground.
    [​IMG]

A little after supper walk.
    [​IMG]

July 11

The moon makes an appearance.
    [​IMG]

The first closed road we hit.
    [​IMG]

Steep canyons, looking back into Pine Creek.
    [​IMG]

Sort of another moon making an appearance.
    [​IMG]
    This is for you @BA Chipmunk

Ulysses Mountain Lookout
    [​IMG]

Not the most sketch tower I've climbed...
    [​IMG]
    ...but on the list.

[​IMG]
    Exclusive parking.

[​IMG]

Quite a view.
    [​IMG]

They let anyone climb these things.
    [​IMG]

The Bitterroots
    [​IMG]

Watch that first step.
    [​IMG]
    And the twenty-third.
    [​IMG]

When you date a Land Surveyor, you have to start to notice some different things.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

July 12

Up above Twin Creeks.
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the "scout" to return.
    [​IMG]

There he is, back from screwing arou... I mean confirming our route.
    [​IMG]
    Back down the mountain!

The single track I checked out connected with this one, the Divide Trail.
    [​IMG]

This.
    [​IMG]
    Really didn't look that technical, though it does get steep in places. Vicki wants to go back with her unloaded bike.

In Florence MT, a truck had dumped some hay in the middle of the intersection. Sherriff's Deputies were helping pick it up.
    [​IMG]

Some good pics to supplement the story!

(All pics by Vicki)
  17. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Chipmunks! v20.3: Sections 4, 5, & 6 of the IDBDR
    July 18, 2020: Elk City and half the Magruder

The third Chipmunk ride of the year was a multi-day one. Tim (T.O.) and Brett (Shakes aka @BA Chipmunk, the one with the rodent fetish) and I rode parts of the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route. I've rode the entire IDBDR last year (2019) and Brett and I skirted parts of this route in 2018. But this was the first multi-day ride for both Tim and Brett on their new KTM's. Which meant it was the first long rides while loaded for both of them. I actually brought less stuff than normal as we'd coordinated to reduce duplication. Yay for me!

I met Tim and Brett in Lewiston, ID and rode to Grangeville on US95 from there. ID14 along the South Fork Clearwater River is always a joy.
    [​IMG]
    Tim on his KTM 790 Adventure R. Sweet bike!

Brett taking a break.
    [​IMG]
    Another pic to file under: Brett's Finest Moments

I didn't get pics along ID14 as the riding is too much fun to stop. Some footage in the video below. Needless to say we made good time to Elk City. The cafe I like was closed, but not due to the COVID. The owner makes more money cooking for logging camps than operating her restaurant, ergo...

Fortunately the Reno Club was open.
    [​IMG]
    It's all that you'd expect from such a fine and detailed sign. I do have a thing for dive bars, so this one is growing closer to my heart.

A Swede, an Irishman, and an indeterminate anglo-germanic dude walk into a bar...
    [​IMG]
    Someday I'll figure out who I am. (not likely)

Just south of Elk City.
    [​IMG]
    The trees were nice. An awful lot of the Magruder has been burned over the last couple decades (as you will see).

[​IMG]
    T.O. bringing up the rear.

Weather was warm, but not too hot. The elevations rising helped. But we still stopped relatively frequently.
    [​IMG]
    For various reasons.

In the burn scar pretty quickly.
    [​IMG]

The road was in pretty good shape.
    [​IMG]
    This part anyway.

[​IMG]
    It's fun having other folks to take pictures of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spring is not long past in mid-July.
    [​IMG]
    Snow wasn't hard to see.

That rascal again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Played hop-scotch with both guys all day long.
    [​IMG]
    First Brett
    [​IMG]
    That 1090 Adventure does quite well on this sort of ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Tim
    [​IMG]

We decided to take the "Expert" alternate route up Burnt Knob, largely based upon my statement "it wasn't too bad last year." And parts of it still weren't.
    [​IMG]
    Tim first this time.
    [​IMG]

Then BA
    [​IMG]

But it was indeed worse than last year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brett and I each had one off, and T.O. doubled up (or down) on both of us with four.

But the view was a nice payoff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there, the Magruder climbs up and over ridgelines for dozens of miles. Looking back from the next one.
    [​IMG]

Burnt Knob in the distance.
    [​IMG]

Just stunning from the ridgetops.
    [​IMG]

Shadows were starting to get long.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure why that always happens on my trips.

We rode another few miles and stopped at Base Camp Campground for the night. Dinner and some still cool beers the reward.

(Video 5:30 - with music)
    Ladybug likes this.
  18. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 19, 2020: East halves of the Magruder Corridor and Lolo Motorway

After a restful night, despite the mosquitos, we got a reasonably early start (by my trip standards anyway) eastward to complete the Magruder. This road was in much better shape than it had been last year, with a few sections of road being completely rebuilt and upgraded to prevent future washouts and ruts. After getting beat up on Burnt Knob the previous day, none of us complained.

We started out at a pretty good altitude of around 7000 ft, so there was still some snow berms here and there.
    [​IMG]
    Someone's buddies are trying to help him or her out. (last name and numbers obscured in picture by me)

The easier roads didn't lessen the views to speak of.
    [​IMG]

Or the enjoyment.
    [​IMG]

Still lots of burn scar, but more areas of live timber too.
    [​IMG]

Stops and breaks were pretty frequent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We slowed down on this section as there were a lot of fresh horse tracks.
    [​IMG]
    Though we never saw any horses.

Where the name of the Magruder Corridor comes from.
    [​IMG]
    The person, not the crime I believe.
    [​IMG]

This pass was well marked, but actually lower than where we had camped overnight.
    [​IMG]

Castle Rock
    [​IMG]

Hitting US93 for the run north, we stopped in Darby MT for lunch.
    [​IMG]

Where I found a casualty from my off on Burnt Knob.
    [​IMG]
    The dent removed the space between walls so you can feel the liquid temperature and it cools/warms quicker. Damn gravity.

West on US12 over Lolo Pass. I always have to stop at this sign when I'm coming through.
    [​IMG]
    I really want to steal it and take it to the Signpost Forest in Watson Lake Yukon. But think it would be hard to keep hidden on the motorcycle crossing the border.

@BA Chipmunk helping me prep for the timed shot.
    [​IMG]

Three rodents on bikes.
    [​IMG]

There is a lot less burn scar on the Lolo Motorway.
    [​IMG]

The roads were a little rougher than those we rode on the Magruder this day, but not technical to speak of.
    [​IMG]

Chipmunks founding member.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Probably my favorite shot of the whole trip.

We had some minor mechanical issues to resolve, but not much considering this was the first multi-day, loaded trip on two of the bikes.
    [​IMG]

Looking back towards the Bitterroot Mountains.
    [​IMG]

Rugged country. The Lolo generally runs on the ridgetops, dropping in elevation only to get to the next ridgeline.
    [​IMG]

We found a primitive site to camp on the ridgeline. It was surprising how many spots were taken for the lack of traffic on the route.
    [​IMG]
    We had a flow of visitors throughout the night.
    [​IMG]

Other than the thumping around by the deer, the relaxing evening was a great end to a fun day.

(Video 2:23 - with music)

I didn't take near as much video this day. Not sure if it was because the riding was easier or due to me having ridden it the previous year.
  19. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    REAL TIME UPDATE October 15, 2020

Firstly, sorry for the sporadic postings. I've got quite a bit of stuff to put up, but am way behind. It's been a busy few weeks, mostly involved in moving to Kellogg Idaho. Even after the move, the house is requiring quite a bit of work, including putting in a kitchen. Another complication is the lack of reliable and speedy enough internet service. Cellular data sucks in the Silver Valley.

My solution tonight to the internet issue.[​IMG]
    The effort I go to for you all...

The upside of this is that I've found myself in an absolutely awesome riding area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Entry to this deliciousness is ten minutes from the house.

The sort of downside is that this means my wandering will be greatly curtailed for the next decade or so till someone else can retire... So I'll wrap up this thread in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to make ride reports of the trips I do get out on, just not sure what those will be (mostly due to COVID.) I'll just be meandering from a fixed location.

Thanks for your support. Still some more to get up, so we're not done yet.
    roadcapDen and SilverAdvRdr like this.
  20. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 20, 2020: West end of the Lolo Motorway & Dworshak Reservoir

The great weather continued on day three. Pretty relaxed packing after breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    The deer had remained with us throughout the night and morning, till we heard a cougar "chirp". They ran away as soon as they heard that.

Lots of grazing on this little saddle.
    [​IMG]

We continued along the ridge line, with the attendant spectacular views.
    [​IMG]

For the most part, the Lolo Motorway was pretty flowing forest road.
    [​IMG]
    There were some washed out rocky areas that kept us on our toes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim kept wanting to be Tailgun Charlie...
    [​IMG]

...but Brett pushed him forward quite a bit.
    [​IMG]

I stopped at the Devil's Chair, a rock outcropping, and climbed to the top of it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made for a nice perch and view.
    [​IMG]

Little tricky climbing back down with only one hand due to the camera.
    [​IMG]

Brett was very concerned about the minor scuff from Burnt Knob.
    [​IMG]
    My BMW is hardly pristine anymore, but Brett likes things neat.

I noticed something hanging in the trees while riding by.
    [​IMG]
    I think it was a weather balloon and instrument package.

Coming in towards Pierce, we stopped at the lookout.
    [​IMG]
    Some restrictions due to the pandemic.

But no restrictions on the views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No restrictions to driving up. We saw two other groups of motorcycles while we were up there.

Stopped in Pierce for lunch. The Gold Rush Saloon was closed, so we hit the coffee/sandwich shop. I didn't get any pics of the next section going up to Dworshak reservoir. As with the last time I rode this in 2019, it isn't nearly as interesting or fun. It's all wide graveled logging roads till past the lake. That with the much greater traffic made for a dusty and hot afternoon. I stumbled upon a sweet wild camp spot next to a creek on the north side of the reservoir a couple hours before dark. We were all ready to stop, and the rinse in the creek was welcome too. One more day of riding to come!
    SilverAdvRdr and Ladybug like this.