Wandering from my meandering (Latest: Cyprus)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS

Oddometer:
    Very nice pictures.
    Yes, we will do it again next year and include many of the other Moab trails.
    Imu
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you guys ride Lathrop Canyon? WRT is a pretty fun ride but I wish they hadn't done the permit system. I'd love to ride and camp out along the WRT and not ride it in one day but I think the "they" kind of set it up so the bicycle's get the camp spots.

I rode it 2 summers ago and I thought the M/C groups couldn't be any more than 3 in a group. I probably am wrong on that part. We had a large group such as yours but broke it up with 2-3 riders in several groups spread out by 15-30 minutes or so. We'd all meet up at some of the breaks though. I'd only ride it again if I could camp one night. I felt so rushed to try and ride it in one day. I know we skipped several places along the way.

This vantage point makes great pictures. I know I took one here also. Moab is like riding in heaven unless you rode it more in the summer months. Then it's kind of like riding in Hell, temperature wise. :lol3
    Awesome!
    [​IMG]
    simbaboy likes this.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    May 16, 2018: Arches NP, a “ghost town”, Onion Creek and Castle Valley.

In the morning, many of us did a bit different riding experience. The bikes were mostly just our transportation around Arches National Park to go hiking and checking out several of the arches. We started relatively early and headed out to Delicate Arch. This is around a three mile round trip hike up a sloped rock face and a ledge along a cliff face. Neat hike but certainly not a cake walk. The arch was really neat to be able to get right up to.

The early part of the trail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The early morning light really stretched the shadows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There was a bit of a wait to get your own personal Delicate Arch pic taken.
    [​IMG]

There was kind of a hole below the arch, kind of making a natural amphitheater.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our group about to head back down the trail.
    [​IMG]

Petroglyphs near the parking area
    [​IMG]

To the next arch.
    [​IMG]

Much shorter (and different) walk in...
    [​IMG]
    To a smaller arch, but still right up to it.
    [​IMG]

Zoom zoom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this Arch Madness (with apologies to the Missouri Valley Conference basket ball tournament) we broke for lunch. I grabbed a bite at Milt’s, a wonderful local burger spot. I was talking to a local woman who asked what I was doing in the afternoon. I told her that we were supposed to ride to some sort of a ghost town (or so I was told, After she asked which one I replied “Cisco” which caused her to have a confused look on her face.

Well, after around fifty miles north on HW 128, Cisco was shall we say, somewhat of a disappointment. It is not quite a ghost town. More simply a sh!thole with a handful of people, which was probably not that much less than the high point of residents.

Making the best of the situation, it was decided to go make a run up Onion Creek, which was on the way back down 128. A couple of us, including myself, made our best time back there. This made up a little bit for the pointless truck to Cisco.

I didn’t get any pics of Onion Creek. I did about eat it on one of the first curves as I went into it as aggressively as I’d been on Tom’s Husqvarna 501, and I was of course back on my F800GSA. I adjusted back to a more realistic speed and did fine afterwards.

Pulling out of the creek canyon, the three of us there discussed what was further out and whether or not we should check it out. Paul, on a Husky 701 (stock) didn’t feel comfortable heading to an unknown route having already used up nearly a hundred miles of fuel. AT guy and I felt comfortable going a while more, so we did.

Discussing our fuel levels. This is why I love my 800GSA with the 6.4 gallon tank.
    [​IMG]

We ended up behind this bluff, at the top of the draw on the right side of this picture.
    [​IMG]
    Up here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The roads were mostly not too technical such as this one, but there were a handful of rocky climbs we got through.. AT Guy handled his big bike much more confidently than he did a couple of days earlier. This terrain will challenge you and force you to grow. Or fail worse.
    [​IMG]

The higher altitudes sure made for different views than the other rides here.
    [​IMG]
    Unbeknownst to us at the time, we actually were on a part of the Utah BDR.

We ended up on the Castle Valley Road, which is a sweet twisty paved road back down to 128. Obviously it’s easier to take pics during the straightaways. I may have gotten a little ahead of AT Guy too.
    [​IMG]

I really like heading out with not too firm of a plan, and tho I didn’t get a lot of pics on this extra part, there was some great riding to be had. This ended up being my last riding day in Moab as I had decided to attend Overland Expo West in Flagstaff and needed to head that way on the morrow.
    Max Wedge, simbaboy and eaglescan like this.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    following faithfully!
  5. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    So since the breakup with my GF, I’ve been kind of un-located. Been staying with friends here and there for a while, mostly in Washington. Currently in Kentucky visiting family. Not entirely sure what the future holds, except that I won’t be signing any sort of long term lease for the foreseeable future.

But I did try to make the best of the trip here...
    simbaboy likes this.
  6. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 21, 2018: Spokane to the ICDAR near Glacier NP

So I had decided to fulfil the promise I made to my Grandmother to visit her this year in Kentucky. I had a few weeks before any other vague commitments so figured I’d do some riding along the Continental Divide for a good chunk, say to Denver, then bomb along the slab the rest of the way. I figured it would take around eight days to do so, and would be fine as long as I got to Kentucky in a total of 11 to 12 days.
    I purchased a track from GPSKevin, a new one called the International Continental Divide Adventure Route. This is supposed to be a revised version of the CDT, and also includes routes through Mexico and Canada. The US leg looked pretty cool on the Google Map he has on his web site, so I thought why not? The web site does clearly state that the ride has not been tested, but I figured that the minor errors would be pretty easy to overcome.
    I actually started a day later than I wanted as the fires throughout the West (US and Canada) all seemed to be pumping soley through the NW. Spokane had the worst air quality in the nation for a day or two in the week prior to departure. It had improved significantly, even from the 20th to the 21sr, though still visibly hazy and smokey.

The other issue with the fires were the ones in and west of Glacier National Park. There were several area evacuation orders, and the Going To The Sun Road was closed on the west face of Logan Pass. So I decided to take US2 across the Divide and pick up the route on the east slopes of the Rockies. This caused me to totally miss the northernmost section of the GPS route, but noticed that it went along the Inside North Fork Road, on the east side of the North Fork Flathead River in Glacier NP. This road was closed a few years ago after being washed out and there is no timetable to be reopened. I did think it odd that such an easy route to confirm had been missed. (Cue foreshadowing)

I took I90 over to St Regis, then north to Kalispel MT. Along the Clark Fork River.
    [​IMG]

The way thru Kalispel, Columbia Falls, and over US2 was pretty normal, with traffic lighter than I expected for the season. Smoke was quite thick at times. I joined the route at East Glacier Park Village. These dirt roads , as well as US2, went through ground that was burned in the Skyland Fire in 2007. I was part of the Incident Management Team so it was interesting to see how the land had recovered (or not) since then.
    [​IMG]

The east slopes are in the Rockies rain shadow, so the vegetation is pretty light. The track went a ways through the Blackfoot Nation, private ranch and farm lands, and BLM and Forest Service areas. Scenic, but not real Dividey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see that the smoke had followed, and impacted the views more than is apparent in the pictures.
    [​IMG]

The roads were a mix of gravel and paved county type roads. Nothing challenging. Though this looked more promising.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things kind of went south from there, as three separate times, the route tried to pass through private lands with either locked gates, or no trespassing signs. One workaround was very easy and really amounted to riding around the edge of a single lot on the main road. The other two caused ten and twenty mile reroutes. Both of these were obviously an attempt to get to some more interesting riding, but did frustrate me a little.

I ended the day at Pishkun Reservoir, camping at the fishing access.
    [​IMG]

Pretty good first day of riding, getting a little farther than I expected.
    simbaboy and WoodrowBDR like this.
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    The route for Day 1 Aug 21

65ED806F-20B9-4914-95A5-40B63AD06E37.jpeg
    Max Wedge and simbaboy like this.
  8. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 22, 2018: Day 2 of ICDAR, past Helena MT

Got up and as I was finishing packing, a State fish and wildlife person talked with me. He’s got a pretty cool gig in being able to take his dog with him to work. Nice guy and very interested in my trip. I ended up seeing him in his truck three more times as he traveled around checking on reservoirs and facilities.

At the start of the day, it really depended upon which direction one looked as to the smoke level. For the most part it was smokey all day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The terrain was getting more trees as the route started back towards the Divide, though it just darted in and looped back out without crossing. Not a lot of roads over in this area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hit another closed road, though this one wasn’t a permanent closure, so just the luck of the draw.
    [​IMG]
    The work around was pretty straightforward, just staying on the main road till it hooked back up with the route. Some fresh grading, but not too bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I pulled into Helena for fuel and a snack. This was actually my first time there. Seemed like a nice place, but I usually like college towns.

The road kept getting better and better. Or worse and worse depending on how you look at these things.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I came upon another closed road, again a temporary one. This was a much more complicated work around that I mostly wouldn’t recommend. I got chased and almost bitten by dogs, and spent a couple hours and dead ends trying to get back on route. I finally did, and the silver lining is that it took me over the Occidental Plateau, a high grassland running along the Divide.
    [​IMG]
    It would have been spectacular if not for the smoke. These were cloudless days.
    [​IMG]

I wild camped next to a stream not too long after this. Very pleasant with much less wind than the night before.

CD8693BB-E7BE-4B8E-A6C2-48D5F6FEC85A.jpeg
    Max Wedge, simbaboy and WoodrowBDR like this.
  9. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS

Oddometer:
    Great Job, Robert.
    Keep it up.
    Imu
  10. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 23, 2018: Near Butte MT, and the “narrow path”.

After a nice restful night alongside the creek, I finished up the last bit of route north of Interstate 90. The scenery on this last piece was very nice.
    [​IMG]

No matter how many times I cruised back and forth on the main drag in Basin MT, an espresso place didn’t magically appear. So I continued along the route which was near and crossed at least once the ride I did last summer, The Best of Montana 2017.

I got down to I-90 reasonably early, and fueled and fed. And got a coffee.

Heading out on German Gulch Road, after an interesting if slow crossing of a railroad switchyard (stopping twice for the same twenty cars being shuttled by a yard engine), the road quickly shrunk and was starting to look interesting when...
    [​IMG]
    Sh!t. Not a temporary closure either.

So after a work around that included the rail yard again, and a stretch on the Interstate, I was able to find a way back to German Gulch Rd. Nice area, and sweet roads. Still quite smokey as you can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After dropping back into the timber, probably fifteen or twenty miles in from pavement, it happened again. Didn’t think to get a pic because I was a bit perturbed, but the road had been permanently closed. We’re talking berms and felled trees closed. I backtracked to the next intersection, and started back sort of towards the track per my GPS. I did find a road that continued on.
    [​IMG]
    There was a sign a that said “No motorized vehicles wider than the trail.” Well the trail is maybe four feet wide, so I figure I’m golden, even with the panniers. At one point, there was even two posts marking an opening to enforce it, kind of like “Must be this tall for this ride.”

This is where it basically devolved into one of those more adventurous than intelligent times.

The trail, which is what this was, a hiking trail opened to atv’s, went down and up the side of several ridges, crossing a couple of drainages. In several sections, I was weaving back and forth from side to side to keep from catching my panniers on trees and rocks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The hill up after this last bridge was steep and full of loose rocks climb. But the bike handled it like a champ. The new rear shock has dramatically improved traction, even with the not too aggressive Shinko 705 I have on the rear.

I stopped at the top for a break, at an intersection in the trail system. Checking Google Maps, into which I had downloaded the whole area along the route so I could check things off line, showed NOTHING. Didn’t even show the trails, which often it will if you zoom in enough. My GPS showed me going generally due south whereas the route went more eastward. So with no other indicators, I started on the more easterly trail.
    It got rougher pretty quickly, though not too bad.
    [​IMG]

After a few miles, including some very steep and rocky climbs that in reality surprised me that I got through them, I came to another fork. I tried the first, which headed downhill. I was at that point where one wonders just how much more uphill could one go. It was actually numbered as a road, which I took as a good sign too. Not. Came to a sign stating “No vehicle use”. I actually went past that as I was about ready to get a ticket rather than have to backtrack ALL the way. But not much past that was a river that was wadeable, but with about a two foot drop on both banks. So back up to try the other, still uphill way.
    This also ended up,with a no vehicles sign, which I also ignored. I paid a harsher penalty this time though. After cresting a hill, the trail below turned into a steep mess of boulders. I stopped, and set the bike down on purpose rather than get too far down the hill. I figured I could nurse the bike down, but it didn’t look like anything I could ride back up. A short walk confirmed this.
    In trying to spin the bike around, it slid another ten feet down, putting me only 25 feet from the crest and good trail. It took me three and a half hours to get that distance. Ended up being a remove the luggage and getting a few wheel spinning feet at a time kind of effort. Here was the first time I really missed having more aggressive tires.

I know, it didn’t happen if no pictures. But at the time I really didn’t want to provide my friends and family photographic evidence that supported their stance that I ought not to be doing this alone. (So I’ll put it on the internet instead!!)

I was pretty gassed by the time I got the bike up, reloaded, and underway again, and dreading tackling the steeps again, even if it was mostly downhill. I very nearly simply stopped to camp for the night given how spent I was. However I continued on and just where the first real steep and rocky section started, spotted an actual road that I had missed coming up. After probably ten miles of reasonably rough road, though still better in the sense that it WAS a road, I came out on a main forest route.
    [​IMG]
    I’ve never been so happy to see a “real” road.

Unfortunately, this road takes one out to Interstate 15. On the wrong side of the mountain range.

I was done. After checking the ICDAR route on line, I decided to totally write off a section and a half of the ride, which would have gone through Wisdom MT and Salmon ID, and the beautiful mountains around them (Salmon anyway) and bombed down the Interstate to Dillon MT. I was just too tired and frustrated with the route failures to Trust it through more mountains right then. And I love the Salmon area.

As it turned out, a hotel night, laundry, and perhaps a beer or two, was just what the doctor ordered. I would give the track one more chance on the next day. Especially as I was a little familiar with some of where it went, again due to my BOM 2017 ride. It didn’t seem that it would be as easy to screw up a route in what was upcoming.

Yeah, that’s me. Too damned trusting.

5B12A7A7-B8DE-45A8-9272-80DE5D7B5190.jpeg
    Max Wedge and WoodrowBDR like this.
  11. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 24, 2018: Mostly Harmless

I left Dillon and bombed down I-15 to get back on the track. Picking it up on Medicine Lodge Rd southbound, then back northernishly on Big Sheep Creek Rd.
    [​IMG]
    It was still pretty smoky.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Big Sheep Creek Rd went more through the canyon.
    [​IMG]

This sign would have been better news if the road had not recently been graded.
    [​IMG]

I took a short break at Lima, where I talked with a couple of guys on bicycles on the CDMBR (which it would seem GPSKevin got a lot of the same routes from). They were taking two and a half months to do their route.

After that, it was through more rangelands going towards Yellowstone, going through Lakeview. The Gravelie Mountains are just north of that, and I considered going up into them as that too was on last summers BOM and held some spectacular views. The route I took wasn’t too bad either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a minor issue with the route on the eastern end of Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge. The alternative/challenge route is supposed to pass over a bridge. Bridge is long since gone, but this would only incur a mile or two work around, so not that big of a deal.

[​IMG]
    This crossing seemed a little weird as one travels west to east, Montana into Idaho.

Coming into Island Park, an alternative route utilizes a local trail/road.
    [​IMG]
    Or not.

The route continued south from IP onto forest roads. It seemed that the route got FUBAR’d and I took a nice 45 minute, one way route, through the woods till I finally hit a dead end. No pics as I was pretty frustrated again having to backtrack. Of course, it wasn’t the track that screwed up this time. I had taken the wrong road at an intersection where two roads paralleled each other for a bit.
    I did find some excellent paved sections that helped me decompress though. Had too much fun to stop for pics there. About dark, I stopped for a good steak supper and cabin rental at Squirrel Creek Elk Ranch. Spent some quality time with this affectionate red headed young lady.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only downside was that the domestic elk bugled on and off most of the night. Pretty cool actually, especially for just one night.

D56A0202-9047-41BD-9079-D3F7D4D4470E.jpeg
  12. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 25, 2018: Welcome to Wyoming

Got up and hit the gravel. The Ashton-Flag Ranch, aka Grassy Lake Rd (#261) cuts across the National Forest and a slice of Yellowstone to US89, crossing the state line along the way. I followed that south, then east a bit to Dubois on US26. Not very exciting roads, but some great views. The National Parks, Yellowstone and Grand Tieton in this case, sure don’t seem to encourage getting into the backcountry unless you want to walk.
    I backtracked a little, then took the road up and over Union Pass. Being the weekend, there were a lot of other users about, especially side-by-sides. After a relatively short day, I stopped in Pinedale WY for the night. The Wind River Brewery was a welcome respite.

The morning view. Still smoky.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grassy Lake Reservoir
    [​IMG]

The mountain views from US89.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The gps track did have a couple of side loops off the pavement, but I did one of them last year, and I just didn’t feel confident in attempting the others given the closures from the previous days.

The geography changes a bit nearer Dubois. Almost a painted hills/desert look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The views going up towards Union Pass gets impressive quickly. At least it would if the smoke didn’t hide it.
    [​IMG]

Not bad on the far side either.
    [​IMG]

And every so often, I think to myself “This doesn’t suck.”
    [​IMG]

It opened up the further off the pass I got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last bit into Pinedale included one of GPSKevin’s signature moves: a short side trip that seems to have no value other than getting off the main highway. This one ran through some fenced fields that really didn’t add anything to the day other than five minutes. Oh well.

E4DA5ADF-D7CC-480E-B451-EA88A69A40D1.jpeg
  13. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 26, 2018: Lonesome Wyoming dirt

A morning coffee in Pinedale was pretty interesting as I met a woman who is also traveling full time, although in her van. It’s always neat to find someone with a similar worldview.
    The riding for the day was really neat, and different than any previous days. It was nearly trafficless all day long, excluding the fuel stop in and highways near Rawlins WY. With the remote areas travelled through, it was simply awesome.

The next morning it was, you guessed it, smoky. Sorry for the fuzzy pic.
    [​IMG]

Boulder WY isn’t much of a town, especially being so close to Pinedale which was a real neat town. Frankly, it wasn’t picture worthy.

One of GPSKevin’s side tracks started with this.
    [​IMG]
    It would have, if actually passable, leapt the main county (yet still dirt) county road for a total of a quarter mile.

Despite this, he selected some outstanding, off the beaten track, roads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These ridgetop roads provided some phenomenal panoramas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made it to South Pass City a lot quicker than I expected.
    [​IMG]
    South Pass City is a (mostly) abandoned mining town.
    [​IMG]
    The State of Wyoming has preserved quite a bit of the town as a park and interpretive center. It’s worth a stop if you get a chance.

The gold mine that literally put South Pass City on the map.
    [​IMG]

After passing through nearby Atlantic City (WY, with a lot less casinos) the road continued. The next gps route departure from the main road had me a bit skeptical, though I did try it.
    [​IMG]
    This one lasted a whole half of a mile before returning to the county road. Sort of anyway. The gps track didn’t seem to actually be on any sort of a road, so I ignored the telemetry for a while.

A short bit later, a more interesting alternative presented itself. A two track road that appeared to parallel the gps route for a while, but on the far side of a ridge line. This ended up like hitting the jackpot as it turned out to be the Oregon and California Trails.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have really enjoyed when I have stumbled upon a “lost highway” such as Route 66 in Arizona. But this was a whole level above that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the first of several pronghorn antelope herds I spooked.
    [​IMG]
    Horses too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was right at the Continental Divide to boot. A very special experience.
    [​IMG]
    More pronghorn.
    [​IMG]
    It was neat imagining bringing a covered wagon over these tracks.

I used the timer function on my camera to get a pic of myself. It took three tries as the wind kept blowing the camera off the fence.
    [​IMG]

I left the Oregon Trail after around twenty miles as it seemed to be continuing further and further away from the gps route. So I hung a right down this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The “main” road wasn’t bad either.
    [​IMG]
    More Pronghorn.
    [​IMG]

After a break and fuel stop in Rawlins (man was it good to get out of the wind for a little bit), I had to race storm systems to the Colorado border. It was fresh silky smooth new pavement, so I made good time.
    [​IMG]
    This road was the very first time I felt like my 800GSA didn’t have enough power. Must have been something to do with the 9% grade, full load of kit, a 25-40 mph headwind, all at nearly 10000 feet elevation. I simply cannot understand why I had a hard time accelerating from 80 mph. Time to upgrade.

Crossing into Colorado was a relief as the aspen provided some shelter from the wind.
    [​IMG]
    The road was fun too.
    [​IMG]
    The second, much smaller water crossing.
    [​IMG]
    The more common fauna.
    [​IMG]

The last pull into Steamboat Springs saw me starting to get pretty well wore out, but it wound up another excellent day of riding. The Oregon Trail will always be something I’ll cherish.
    WoodrowBDR likes this.
  14. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    The route from the previous post.

5B140944-2518-4F9C-9FCD-DE447AB50F02.jpeg
  15. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 27, 2018: Colorado mountain high

Left Steamboat Springs after a challenging time finding a coffee. Finally found a small book store/espresso/bakery (three of my favorite things!) on a side street. It was of course appropriately called “Off the Beaten Path.”
    The route out of town started with one of the pointless side loops. This one went through a residential neighborhood, which also happened to have street construction going on. Then it cut back to a foot deep rutted mud track between two farmers fields. Again, nothing but hassle added.
    But it got worse. After some nice highway twisties, the route started up a draw through a ranch. None of the several gates had any prohibitions posted, so I went with it. This ended up being a dead end. At some point, there were some two track paths that at one time meandered through, but these had become choked with sage or eroded away some time ago. I tried to find a work around, but the only passable track I could find had a tree across it that combined with the hillside, made it impassable. It was of course on the way back that I saw the no trespassing signs.
    After slogging back to the highway, I quickly found a forest road that was what the gps track was supposed to hook up with. I stopped where the route merged with the actual road, but couldn’t see even an old trail there. Frustrating.
    The next couple of hours totally made up for it. Good forest roads winding up and down the Continental Divide, with the expected views and scenery. But when dropping out to the plain on the other side, the track again heads off through some pasture. This obviously looked like private property so I was hesitant to take it, especially given the morning’s experience. So I took the long, and ended up boring workaround on the local county roads. If the route works, it would be much more fun, but the ranches all had restrictions of access posted at all the main entries. Totally not public lands. The rare times I could see where the route, it looked overgrown or otherwise washed out.
    Once the route merged with the road I was on, things got much more scenic. Some very interesting rock formations and the sweeping curves kept things fun.
    The next turn off of pavement actually went as planned, with two more crossings of the Divide. Then back to pavement through Rocky Mountain National Park. This route is as twisty a climb as the Going To The Sun in Glacier, if not quite the views. Still awesome though. It also took me to the highest altitude I’d ever ridden, just over 12000 ft. 44 degrees and very windy made it chilly quick.
    Afterwards, I stayed in a tent only campground on the Park. Made for a nice night after four crossings total of the Divide for the day.

With the high winds all day yesterday, and a light rain overnight, the most amazing thing happpened.
    [​IMG]
    NO SMOKE!! The air was delicious!

The two track up through the ranch was nice. Certainly the type of riding I look for.
    [​IMG]

An address sure to dissuade solicitation.
    [​IMG]

I was worried about this sort of thing given the rain overnight but no problems, except a little sliding by my street oriented rear tire.
    [​IMG]

End of hope for a workaround. I also of course dropped the bike trying to get it turned around.
    [​IMG]

The views were great though.
    [​IMG]

This geological formation was unreal. It looked like a tipped up rock layer, pushed all the way to vertical.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is right along CO125 near Willow Creek Pass, so is easy to get to.

The loop through the forest on FS4 was a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I passed several hunting camps, but only saw one pair of hunters. It was early archery season for elk.
    [​IMG]
    View of Lake Granby on the way down.
    [​IMG]

After a fuel stop and snack at Grand Lake, I entered the Rocky Mountain National Park. This was my daughter’s favorite part of a trip she took to Colorado a couple years ago, and Now I understand why.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some nimrods stopping in the middle of the road to look at elk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I expected that this was my last day along the Divide. Nearby Denver was my turnoff for slabbing it to Kentucky to see family. Fortunately, I was a bit mistaken.
    roadcapDen, WoodrowBDR and TheAdmiral like this.
  16. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    @WoodrowBDR and @TheAdmiral , I’m glad the two of you are enjoying this. At least there are two people are reading it.

Maybe.
    HA!
  17. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive only been on one three day trip this year so ive got to get my fill somehow. Too bad for the backtracking youve had to do. Keep the pics/updates coming. HMU next time your in my neck of the woods. Wyoming/Idaho
    TheAdmiral and ScotsFire like this.
  18. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    You gotta make sure you don’t get flat spots in your Africa Twin tires.
  19. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read? I was just looking at the pictures. :lol3

Honestly, this is another great thread. Some of your Black Hills stuff looked very similar to what we rode earlier this summer 'cept we had smaller bike and stayed more on the trails and 2-track. And I'm glad you were mistaken so I can "view" more pictures. :D
    WoodrowBDR and ScotsFire like this.
  20. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    As long as it’s worth your time...