Wandering from my meandering (Latest: Early Spring St Joe River)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Thank you!
    B10Dave likes this.
  2. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's going on, Brother?
    Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  3. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Just like you, parked for the winter.

Well not JUST like you. It’s well above freezing here.

It’s been a pretty easy winter here, even by Seattle standards. I’m back on the road full time in April.

Near future rides:
    Kentucky and that area in April
    Moab again in May

Then my big top to bottom trip starts!
    simbaboy likes this.
  4. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ScotsFire likes this.
  5. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    this is all inspiring info!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  6. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spike! There's many folks on the site that have inspired me, so I'm glad that I can pay that forward some.

Though you obviously need to find better sources.
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    April 4, 2019: Way too early St Joe River Road (Idaho)

Back living in Spokane, at least for a couple of months this spring. Since today was the only day in the next few without rain in the forecast, guess what I decided to do!

I've ridden the St Joe River Road before, but haven't gone over the top of the pass into St Regis MT. Last time I tried, I ran into snow just several miles south of St Regis. Of course this was in late May or early June a couple of years ago, when they didn't have extra snowfalls into March like this year. Needless to say I didn't have my heart set on a successful mission, but that usually doesn't stop me from trying. After going over 4th of July Pass on I90, I headed south on ID HW3 towards St Maries. The back side of Coeur d'Alene Lake is a much more scenic and fun ride, but I hadn't been on the 3 in decades.
    After lunch in St Maries, I headed up the River Rd. It was amazingly gravel and sand free, and no snow on the main roads at all. The curves up to Avery were enjoyable, but I was looking forward to beyond that when it gets really good. Unfortunately Shoshone County and/or the Forest Service still has the roads past Avery closed, both the River Road and Moon Pass Rd (which goes to Wallace).
    SO I turned around but instead of sticking on the pavement, went back downstream a ways on the south side of the river, which is a dirt road. Or in this case mostly ice and slush.
    Getting back to the pavement, it went quickly back into St Maries then west on ID HW5 through Plummer, then the back road to Fairfield WA and back to the Spokane Valley.

Fuel stop in Cd'A. With WA's high gas taxes, it is nearly a quarter per gallon minimum cheaper in ID.
    [​IMG]
    Typical of first ride of the season issues, I couldn't find the attachment straps for my tail bag so had to bungee net my backpack with my camera kit.

Along ID HW3
    [​IMG]
    This pic was taken with my point and shoot. It really doesn't do well with these landscapes.

[​IMG]
    This one is a little better. Purchased a DSLR and am starting to learn to use it. This is just the automatic jpeg from the camera, so this should get better yet as I begin to learn to manipulate the pics from raw format.

[​IMG]
    It wasn't sunny due to the overcast and some haze, but still a beautiful day.

[​IMG]
    Lots of water fowl about.
    [​IMG]

This is just like South America, right?
    [​IMG]

St Maries
    [​IMG]

I ate lunch at the Cabin City BBQ. My friend Brett and I stopped here in September on another ride. The proprietor remembered my name from then, the first time I'd been there. Food was good, though today's sweet chicken BBQ sammich wasn't nearly as good as the Barnyard from last fall. It has pulled chicken, pulled pork, and brisket on one sandwich. Worth a stop.

Up the St Joe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Avery, up the River Rd.
    [​IMG]

Moon Pass Rd.
    [​IMG]

Headed back west from Avery on the shady side of the river.
    [​IMG]
    This was actually the better part of that road. There were several sections where it was that ice/slush layer all the way across for several hundred yards.

[​IMG]

I went up the hill from the pavement once I was back on the north bank. It didn't go far till I ran into snow there too.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of fallen rocks too, though there were hardly any on the paved roads.

Looking down to the River Rd.
    [​IMG]

The roads were pretty firm away from the snow.
    [​IMG]

Once back through St Maries, on ID HW5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HW5 is a really fun road for the first 10 miles or so going west from St Maries. I didn't get pics, but it's worth a ride. More so than 3 from I90 to St Maries by a long shot. Probably not quite the ride that the back side of Cd'A Lake is, but still.

The county road from Plummer towards Fairfield was also a pleasant surprise, at least the first few miles. Once out on the Palouse it straightens out quite a bit. The views there were worse than usual too as the winter wheat is just now starting to sprout. It will be gorgeous in a few more weeks.

The other new piece of kit I was playing with was a GoPro. I'll splice together a video of the ride and post that in the next few days.

Overall, it was a great day's ride. Around 220 miles in 7 hours, counting stops. While not the best weather, it was good enough to stretch the legs on the 800GSA, especially on the backtrack pieces that I knew there wouldn't be gravel on. Besides, a long day on the bike in early April is always a treat.
    simbaboy and dammitdave like this.
  8. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Chilling in the warmth:

[​IMG]
    ScotsFire likes this.
  9. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    More hiding in the shade.
    simbaboy likes this.