Wandering from my meandering (Latest: IDBDR north end)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Regarding being in Spokane, you’re right about the day trips, and on top of that is how much closer you’ll be to places like Glacier and Yellowstone. All of western Montana and north Idaho is full of great riding. Easy to get into Canada as well.

Only negative will be a shorter riding season. Makes a great excuse to truck your bike south in the winter. Baja beckons.
    simbaboy and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  2. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    June 4, 2019: IDBDR Section 7

My appetite whetted for more mountains, I picked up where I left off the week before. I got an earlier start, not real early, but better. Left Spokane around 9 am and pulling into Clark Fork a bit after 10. Another tank of non-ethanol gas, then coffee and coffeecake (and a cookie to go) from the Clark Fork Pantry, which is more of a bakery and deli than otherwise. Headed out from town just before 11.

Wow. Spring is really green and pretty in this part of the world. The entire ride was through fresh growth of plant life. At some of these altitudes, spring has just started so there were lots of wildflowers. The route went up and over several ridgelines before dropping down to the Coeur d'Alene river. Then right back up to take a more direct line to Wallace. More direct in that on the map you don't follow the river to the west and east for a ways then back the other way, but the maybe ten to fifteen miles as the crow flies took nearly forty travel miles to finish. Total of 109 miles on the trip meter Clark Fork to Wallace. This section DEFINITELY feels like back country. And while the dirt forest roads are big bike friendly, I was dragging ass just like I was at the end of the White Rim Trail in Moab. Right around five hours to get through, I considered continuing south to Avery, but felt that my concentration and decision making would probably not be as good as I'd like on more forest roads, so I slabbed it west on I-90 back to Spokane.

The weather couldn't have been better. Mid-60's to 70's altitude dependent and mostly sunny all day. My biggest complaint is that the ice cream place in Wallace was already closed by the time I got there.

Comparison picture on Lake Pend O'reille. It doesn't show as much as I was hoping, but it was MUCH less smoky.
    [​IMG]

The wildflowers were especially prolific in the Clark Fork River Valley.
    [​IMG]

Scenery and views were awesome from the get go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The forest roads were in great shape for the most part. There had been enough rain in the last few days that the dust was very minimal, especially on the early parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I saw a handful of elk cows over the course of the ride, including a pair just ahead from this picture near the corner in the ravine. Couldn't get my GoPro going quick enough to catch them. I did capture a whitetail doe on video that I'll post after I get something compiled.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention it was green?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top of Grassy Mountain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was not quite the shot I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    But when one is too lazy to get off the bike, and lean just a little too far right to get the shot frame you want, gravity happens.
    [​IMG]
    Isn't this a much better composition?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than the couple miles along the Cd'A River Rd, I only saw two vehicles the entire route. One was a fly fisherman likely just moving between casting spots (his poles were under his windshield wiper blades). Very friendly and pulled over for me immediately.
    The other was a young man that apparently felt the need to try to demonstrate the length of his tool, while ending up simply proving he was a tool. And by tool I mean dick. He would drive slow until I caught up, the accelerate in a cloud of dust so that he could slow down to let me catch up. Whatever. He finally stopped on a switchback to let his dog look out the window (WTF?). I was really hoping he was following me as not even a half mile later I found this.
    [​IMG]
    I've seen lots of trees and branches across roads. But this was the first time there's been a purposefully cut down tree drug lengthwise down the middle of the road. It would really suck if you were a young pinhead boy in a truck that wanted to go this way.
    An older pinhead was able to ride his starbucks scooter through the brush and get past.

Fire is commonly present in the NW. I believe this was a controlled burn as I'd passed a couple of other completed ones on the route. If this were a wildfire, it was unlikely to spread as the fuels are very moist.
    [​IMG]
    As were some of the roads.
    [​IMG]

This section was extremely enjoyable. The most technical was closest to Wallace, and that wasn't very much so. An occasional spot of looser gravel or rocks poking up through the road surface. Overall a pretty easy ride with spectacular views and really fun riding.
    Zeek-, simbaboy and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  3. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong as I like the forest, stream and pine pictures--but Southwest Desert pictures really lift my spirits.
    The red rock and sand and my DNA must have a lot in common.
    You Retired folks can continue riding as much as you want (at least for now) while the rest of us older geezers just keep on working!
    Keep on riding, my friend!
    Imu
    Zeek- and ScotsFire like this.
  4. Zeek-

Zeek- ZeektheGeek

Oddometer:
    Very kind of you bro! You are most welcome and sentiments are the same. I do love me some "Peach Officer"
  5. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    What can I say. Big clumsy thumbs...
  6. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Some news.

Many of you know that I put in for a job. Several questioned my thought process, judgement, and/or sanity in un-retiring. “WTF would you do that for?!?!” was not an uncommon question.

With a little disappointment I have been informed that I can stay retired. I say a little as it’s not like I was unhappy with the life I’d been leading since I quit work. Going through this process was absolutely very healthy for me, as it did kind of reinstate more of my self-confidence.. I had real doubts whether I was going to be able to go back to work if I wanted to. Those are gone.

What happens next is still a little up in the air. I’m not making any real decisions for a week or two, but am almost certainly not going to start the top to bottom trip at his point. The whole fung shui of the route and timeline feels messed up right now. I might jump into that next year, which would allow for another week in Moab before heading south.
    In the short term the only riding I expect right away will be to complete the IDBDR. The TCAT sounds very interesting, and as long as I’m on the east coast may as well take the TAT back west. It shouldn’t be a surprise if I end up in Alaska for a while too. Suffice it to say that I have no idea what’s next (not exactly an unusual situation), but more meandering and/or wandering is certainly on deck.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.