Wandering from my meandering (Latest: NE WA/NWP)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I noticed a little bit of reduced power and possibly a bit more stalling on my WR450 but nothing noticeable with the F800GSA. Imu didn’t complain about any issues with his WR250. (any comments @simbaboy ?).

But my GF’s XT250 was tremendously dogged at the altitudes. I did a couple of test runs the first day and I’m not sure how she did as well as she did given the poor performance. An upgrade for her is moving up the list.

There was plentiful wild camping on the mostly Forest Service lands (lots of BLM in the area though). The only restrictions were that all travel had to be on existing tracks (including wild camp spots). This is due to the very fragile nature of the ground in the Big Horns. The non-frozen times are pretty short, so the recently thawed earth doesn’t have much time to recover from ruts or other damage before winter comes back. (This is visible On the roads in the video, especially of day three.) Riding season is barely three months. George showed us a couple spots where someone had driven across a meadow once, like 20 years previously, that looked like it was last week.

Fuel and supplies are available at Burgess Junction where US14A splits off US14. The next time we go to the area we’ll likely stay near there and save the 45 minute trip each way from Sheridan. It’s not nearly as remote as the Steens in that regard.
    liv2day, simbaboy and WYO George like this.
  2. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    Cool places Robert. Question; Your full run on the IDBDR last year, how many days does it take to complete? I am trying to figure out a ride for next year, thanks.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  3. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    By myself, I would say I was averaging one and a quarter to one and a half sections per day. This while not being concerned about stopping for long lunches, pictures, etc. It took four days to complete three sections this last summer, with two buddies.

I would plan seven days riding to complete the route. You could set up a pretty nice loop using either the WABDR and parts of the OBCDR, or the CDT. PM me if you have my specific questions, or maybe a riding partner.
  4. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    Will do.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  5. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not notice any issues. Maybe, it was the fuel injection on the WR250R.

Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  6. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I didn’t even think about altitude this year , last year I was having trouble on my dirt bike at 6,000 feet . I rode my bicycle around Shell for half of July and most of August before I took the dirt bike for a ride , I was really concerned if I could even ride anymore after last years problems , maybe the several hundred miles on the bicycle did the trick for me , the thousand miles I rode this summer was probably some of the most challenging riding I’ve ever done and I felt good on the bike for every bit of it . I am riding a 2011 450 Beta and preformance wise it was flawless for the whole summer , fr10 runs across the mountian range from 14 A on the west end where it goes down to Lovell and connects to 14 just south of Granite pass , I did see a peak altitude of 9500 on my gps after the ride and never felt any lack of power or response from the bike . 40 and 50 mph speeds were comfortable on Fr10 . Maybe it’s something with 450 s , I was riding a 450 KTM when I bought the Beta and I had had it to 12,000 feet with no issues either .
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Chipmunks! v20.4: NE Washington
    August 14, 2020: Colville NF

Another Chipmunk ride, this time with Joseph and not Tim. Brett put the pressure on Joseph and had him organize the route. We didn't go too far as Joseph only had an overnight available for his first EVER moto camping trip. He did a nice job of finding an area none of us had been to before, in the Colville National Forest a little west of Priest Lake (ID). After meeting and having lunch in Newport, we rode up along the Pend O'reille River before jumping onto forest roads.

We dropped off some gear at the Browns Lake Campground, and then went exploring.

Joseph
    [​IMG]

Brett bringing up the rear.
    [​IMG]

Joseph was trying to get us up to Mt Baldy (it seems every forest has a Mt Baldy in it...) to see the lookout. Unfortunately, the first attempt found a wash out.
    [​IMG]
    Brett checking out the mess.

I might have tried to cross on a lighter bike, or if I really NEEDED to. But the other two weren't having any of it (wisely so).
    [​IMG]

Hiding from the tragedy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So back the way we came.
    [​IMG]

Joseph rode pretty well considering it was his first time loaded with gear.
    [​IMG]
    We're still working on the ATGATT.

[​IMG]

Brett and I encouraged Joseph to stretch himself, but kind of took it easy ourselves.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Browns Lake.
    [​IMG]
    The campground is there at the beach/ramp.

Nice views!
    [​IMG]

Looping back around, we did find a way to get to the Mt Baldy access road. This was relatively rough, and Joseph struggled a bit getting up to the top. But he persevered. The views were well worth the effort.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took advantage of the retired fire lookout tower.
    [​IMG]

As did a couple of other folks.
    [​IMG]

This plaque was on a rock outcropping nearby.
    [​IMG]

We took advantage of the other facilities too.
    [​IMG]

The campground was VERY clean, especially of firewood. So Brett and I found some wood, though we had to get it back to camp somehow.
    [​IMG]
    Adapt and overcome.

Funny enough both Joseph and I knew some of the other campers that happened to be there. Small world. There was some sort of party on the beach overnight, but I managed to mostly sleep through it (the other two not so much). Fun day, if not exactly real remote.

(Video 3:40 - with music)
    Bill Dirt and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  8. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Chipmunks! v20.4: NE Washington
    August 15, 2020: Near Priest Lake ID and west on the North West Passage

Joseph only had a pass for one night, so after he headed home, Brett and I started east so we could go north and then west. Yeah. Sounds normal.

A quick run over the pass just south of Baldy Mountain put us into Idaho for a while. Nice riding on forest roads in perfect weather started right off the bat and stayed all day long.
    [​IMG]

Nice firm road surface made the riding easy and fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scenery was pretty nice too.
    [​IMG]

One could see the Cabinet Mountains a ways to the east.
    [​IMG]

After fueling (petrol for the bikes, coffee for me) in Nordman, we turned westward on Bestrest Products' North West Passage.
    [​IMG]
    This route runs along the Canadian Border as much as possible, and ties in with the WABDR in Oroville. We weren't going quite that far west, but did make a good run of it.

With lots of stops for pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Others had similar thoughts of escapism.
    [​IMG]

Like I said, lots of stops for pictures.
    [​IMG]

The boots are what caught my eye.
    [​IMG]
    There was a two track "side road" there, but I'm as much of a mind it's a kind of shrine.

[​IMG]
    Did I mention it was fast and flowing?
    [​IMG]

The bridge across the Pend Oreille River at Metaline Falls.
    [​IMG]
    One can see it becoming a bit more arid the further west we went.

Still plenty of water for the locals.
    [​IMG]
    Some species of duck I didn't recognize.

I did mention it went along the border?
    [​IMG]
    Fence line on the right, and the cut over the hill, are the border.
    [​IMG]

One area I had actually been to before, but in a different manner.
    [​IMG]
    I was on the incident management team that oversaw this fire several years ago.

Brett didn't blame me for the dead trees.
    [​IMG]
    But he was commenting on the growing shadows.

[​IMG]

We came out of the woods north of Curlew, pretty wore out after several hours in the saddle. Stopped for a shake at Tugboats while we discussed lodging options. Other bikers weren't real helpful with their suggestions given they weren't from here, and apparently none of the locals camp nearby. We checked out a couple of places before settling on Curlew Lake State Park, some thirty miles south on WA21. While we weren't too keen on the crowds or the ban on any fires, and even less so the swarms of mosquitos, a dip in the lake did hit the spot. A beverage sealed the day and made getting to sleep pretty easy (not always a given the way Brett snores).
  9. Tim1225

Tim1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing!
    Great pictures and description of your ride.
    Be Safe!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  10. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    August 15 Video

YouTube didn't like this video for some reason, though I put it together exactly the same as all the others I have. If you're interested, you'll need to click through to the Google Doc. It was a really nice ride and the video came out pretty good if I say so myself. Frustrating it wouldn't upload normally.

VIDEO (3:40 with music)
    Dangeross likes this.