Wandering from my meandering (Latest: WABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    I found that the rock surface at the end of the ride was very tiresome and would want to go clockwise next time to get it out of the way.
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  2. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    We should add Bull Canyon (below Gemini Bridges) for next time---I don't know why I forgot about that. Its a nice, moderate trail.
    Its 'Imu skill' approved--though, Tom did break a few ribs there a couple of years ago.
    Imu
    Zeek- and ScotsFire like this.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    That’s a good enough reason for me to go!

Also, when I was looking at our Hey Joe route I saw several others just north of that, including the 10 Mile road that Guido keeps suggesting. I think it’d be easy to string together a couple of them to fill a day.

Gemini Bridges kind of lost some attraction for me this year. The first part through the canyon is nice, but the road has been improved too much. It’s still better than taking the pavement around, but I liked Long Canyon a lot more.
    Zeek- and simbaboy like this.
  4. Zeek-

Zeek- ZeektheGeek

Oddometer:
    I agree. I've wanted to go up there but haven't been yet.
    simbaboy likes this.
  5. Zeek-

Zeek- ZeektheGeek

Oddometer:
    Go faster, you hardly feel it
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  6. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2019
    May 9, 2019: Sand Flat/Onion Creek Redux

The plan had been to do the loop I had previously checked out (May 3, above in the thread) in the morning, go back to town for lunch, then back out for Top of the World. Well if you're counting at home, we save around 45 or more miles of pavement by going directly to TOW. So after a quick voice vote (the motion carried) we allowed a few extra minutes to grab a sandwich or something for lunch and hit the road.

The route was as good as the first time, though some of it had been graded. The rain from the previous couple afternoons had firmed it up pretty well. I was frankly a little concerned about taking a passel of riders on this as it is for the most part a very different ride than the others we did around Moab. Much more like riding forest roads than the desert tracks we'd been making. But as it turned out everyone said they really liked it. We had a small weather scare going up the hill as we had a stray snow flake or several fall around us going up the paved section towards the dinosaur prints, but no worries as it quit quickly and no other precipitation for the day.

Coming up out of Sand Flats.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OK, maybe not entirely like a forest road.
    [​IMG]

As it turned out, I spent so much time worrying about being the "Ride Leader" that I basically forgot to take many pictures. That and I took a bunch the few days earlier too. But it was a fun route.

If you are interested in the GPS track it is part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route. Follow the loop east out of Moab and back to the Colorado River. Available here: https://ridebdr.com/utbdr/
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2019
    May 9, 2019: Top of the World

The second part of the day's riding was completely different.
    [​IMG]

Just getting to Top of the World trail is a little challenging. Well jarring anyway. Very rocky and bumpy road up to the trail head. Once there, it actually gets easier to ride. For a very short bit. Nothing about this route stayed simple. It continuously gets more and more technical the higher up the hill you go. And once at the top if you take the alternate loop down continues to get even harder. That's right, you have to work to go down the hill.
    It ended up being the most technical ride I've ever undertaken. If you can't pop your front wheel up an eighteen inch shelf, or more realistically several of them in succession, then you'd be better off running back to Moab for a burger at Milt's. Several of the group took a pass on this ride entirely after coming down Onion Creek. Wisely so for most of them. We ended up having a handful more abort once started up the hill. Getting up and back down was definitely a team effort, helping each other pick themselves and bikes up.

Where it starts to get tricky.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prateek was a trooper in trying to get his DR650 up, but had to throw in the towel shortly after this.
    [​IMG]

Special thanks for @Zeek- maintaining his priorities and taking this picture while Tae and I extricate @simbaboy
    [​IMG]
    Mrs Simbaboy saw this picture on the WhatsApp list and asked if the bike was ok. I replied that it was fine, something had cushioned the blow.

But once to the top, the views were simply stunning.
    [​IMG]
    Even more so from the saddle.

[​IMG]

As I often point out, watch that first step.
    [​IMG]

Another thanks to Erik for a couple of these pictures.
    [​IMG]
    This is like my favorite picture of me ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From the opposite viewpoint.
    [​IMG]

This crack must have been a thousand feet deep.
    [​IMG]

The trip down demanded all the concentration and energy I had left, so no more pics. This is a shame as I could have documented some pretty tired comrades. It was even more of a team effort to get everyone down the hill safely, with Imu and Prateek having hung out to make sure we all made it out.
    The folks in this group were so much fun to hang out with, and while there was no hesitation to give a bit of ribbing, it was all in good nature and all taken that way. I really hope that as many of them come back in the future. This ride really exemplified the quality of individuals that totally looked out for each other.
  8. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2019
    May 10: Fallen Peace Officer Trail plus Gemini and Shafer/Potash just ONE MORE TIME.

So we finally hit the last day of riding. For me, it was not a moment too soon. The allergy issues I had mentioned before were totally dogging me on this day. I was so messed up in my head that I even forgot my camera. So all of this post's pictures are thanks to Erik @Zeek- . Thank you again brother. I'm looking forward to riding with you again!

We had envisioned that the Utah Fallen Peace Enforcement Officer Trail would be an easy, simple ride. While it wasn't exactly Lockhart Basin by any stretch, it had it's tricky spots. The terrain and trail surface varied tremendously on such a relatively short, closed loop. If I were to design a training trail to prepare riders for the vagaries of Moab trail riding, it would be extremely similar to this route. It will definitely get put into the rotation. To wrap up the week, we did one more run up Gemini Bridges road, then back down Shafer Switchbacks and Potash Road back into Moab. The views are always stunning, but given my energy level nothing else would have made me any happier that afternoon than when we pulled back into Moab.

Far from our largest group. Fatigue was hitting several others too, and some folks had to leave earlier than others.
    [​IMG]
    Note the yahoo on the WR without his camera. And leaning. What a slouch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even Jimmy wasn't running out ahead on the last day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one last shot of me dragging ass in the back of the line.
    [​IMG]

For more information on the Utah Fallen Peace Officer Trail, please use this link: http://www.upoa.org/fallen-trail-ride/
    It really is a impressive route, and an even better tribute.
    Zeek-, simbaboy and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  9. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Thank you Robert for a very nice RR--:clap:clap
    All the Moab 2019 Riders made for a memorable and pleasant few days of riding.
    Next year we will add some additional neat trails.
    I still have your goal for me in mind. I always try--what I lack in skill I try to make up for in enthusiasm.
    I hope to be better prepared next time with proper safety gear and better overall fitness.
    Thank you for being a proper Leader in Moab 2019. We had a great group and many wanna repeat 2020.
    Imu

[​IMG]
    scanda, ScotsFire and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  10. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    You have more skill than you give yourself credit for. If/when we do TOW next year, I’m going to propose it happen earlier in the week. I really believe that a lot of the issues many folks had with that route is that we did it at the end of the week, when fatigue was a significant issue for most people. I don’t think you’d have made it to the top this year if you weren’t as tired, but you would have made it past where you did. And you totally wouldn’t have taken that spill on the Peace Officer trail if you weren’t fatigued. If we were honest with ourselves, we’d take a rest Day on Wednesday or Thursday to be better able to safely tackle some serious tracks at the end of the week. Think about how energetic most of our group was on Chicken Corners with just a late start that day (as most of them didn’t go on the Tower Arch route with us). Also how much I was whining after that ride.

Six days straight of that kind of riding is not an easy task physically.
    motorcyclenomad, scanda and simbaboy like this.
  11. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    “Six days straight of that kind of riding is not an easy task physically“...
    You got that right! You guys are animals!! Of course you have bikes better suited for the job but still..6 days straight!! Meeting Bill at 3 Step I could tell he was the same way. My hats off to you all!
    simbaboy, scanda and ScotsFire like this.
  12. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Moab 2019
    Thoughts of the Otherworld

Now a couple of weeks past my riding in Moab, I'd like to capture a few somewhat random thoughts. (randomness actually questionable...)

The Moab area is different than any other place I've ever been to or seen. Sure there are other canyon lands that are similar. But (at least in the United States) these areas are not nearly as accessible. (And if I am mistaken because I simply don't know of another place, PLEASE let me know.) I recently saw a posting of someone calling it "the Moab Disneyland" in kind of a disparaging way. I believe he was referring to crowds or something similar, and was encouraging someone to go to other places relatively nearby that wouldn't have this problem. I'm am positive that there are some epic routes all over southern Utah, and I'd be real interested in riding them. But for me, Moab is unique and will always have a special place in my heart. It's the only place that I've been to more than once (and the only place three times) that I still yearn to go back to. I've been to Baja twice, and yes I'd really like to go back there, but might not choose it over going to someplace new. I'm going back to Moab no matter what. And for the record, the only time I've seen it really crowded was my first trip during Easter Jeep week (April 2017), and even then we were able to pick and choose our routes so that once we were out of Moab we had trails mostly to ourselves.

My 2005 WR450F worked like a champ excepting needing a fresh chain. This was the first time I've done any significant riding on it, and am totally convinced that I need a bike in this class in my stable (assuming I have a stable of course). I can only imagine how much more exhausted I would have been if I'd tried to use my F800GSA for all these rides. And I really doubt that I would have gotten off Lockhart Basin, and know I wouldn't have gotten up Top of the World on the heavier bike. At some point, I may look into a little more modern bike with things such as fuel injection and such. The Giant Loop Mojavi saddle bags worked perfectly. The only thing I need to figure out is how to carry my DSLR camera better. I ended up having it in a case looped over my shoulder. Easy to deploy, but it would have sucked big time if I'd have gone down. Hello broken ribs!

Myself and a couple of other folks had good luck at Mad Bro Motorsports for service and repairs. I've used them a couple of years in a row now and they try hard to get you back on the trail or road quickly. Their prices seem reasonable for such a tourist area too.

As mentioned above, I'm going to think through the order of rides and possibility of a rest day in scheduling. The incidence of drops climbed pretty consistently as the week went on, and injuries started occurring on the last couple of days. This may NOT be simply a fatigue factor, as the rides did get (for the most part) increasingly technical as the week progressed. This will need some contemplation and input from the other riders. Sorry, my training in risk management is showing.

I've sort of said this already, but I'd ride anywhere with the group of folks we had this year. What an awesome bunch. We've already been talking a little about next year. It's always an open event if anyone out there is interested. Give me a shout out if you want to be in on the planning process. I'm talking to you @swedstal .

And I would be remiss if I didn't specifically thank Imu @simbaboy . He also has a place in his heart for Moab and has been organizing rides here for several years or more. I was a little hesitant in joining in two years ago as I didn't know anyone that was going to be there. But his pictures and enthusiasm pulled me in. I now count him as a great friend, which has only made these trips even more enjoyable. BTW he's going to have a heck of a deal on an '07 Sienna in another month or two.

Carry on.
    simbaboy and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  13. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    :rofl:imaposer:jack:photog:clap:clap

Private joke--I am known to buy bikes and sell them off within weeks.

Imu
  14. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I am lucky that the Girls in my family also love Moab. Sometimes I suggest other locations and locations that don't involve riding but they know how much I enjoy riding with my buddies. I have learned to also devote several days post riding with buddies to spending time with them and showing them some simple dirt roads in Moab. When we were on 'The Valley Of Gods' road my girls were so happy that their laugh was lifting my spirits.

We are going back to Moab soon but will also spend some time in St.George (another favorite place) and maybe hit Chief Joseph Highway and Yellowstone. Then, in July we are headed towards Quebec City.

Our 2019 Group was a large one and yet it did not require any special coordination. I was very relaxed (more than other years) as I did not feel that it was my place to rush everybody. We were all on 'our own rides' in one big group. Everybody found their own little subgroup within the larger group. Nobody felt rushed or excluded. We encouraged everybody. Most important no major injuries and no major bike fiascos.

I hope to have @ScotsFire join and lead many future Moab get togethers.

Imu

[​IMG]
    Oldschoolrocker and ScotsFire like this.
  15. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    May 31, 2019: IDBDR Section 8 (furthest north)

In a total departure of practice (not really), I got a wild hare and MUST GO RIDING. Finally decided that I could start the IDBDR, or at least start picking off the closer sections. Idaho is only 10 miles from where I'm currently staying in Spokane, and if you hadn't noticed, Idaho is kind of skinny on that northern end. After doing my last minute preparation, I finally got on the road around 10. I had this idea that I could get the farther north section (#8) Canada to Clark Fork and possibly get Section 7 Clark Fork to Wallace done in the one day. Yeah, no.

It was a nice day, but the smoke from the Alberta wildfires was being channeled south through the Kootenay River Valley. The below pics suffer for that. Otherwise it was decent weather with some overcast and scattered thundershowers that I managed to dodge till late afternoon. The ride north to the border was mostly along US95 which is ok for pavement, but... I stopped at the Badger Café in Bonner's Ferry and had a passable burrito (passable for North Idaho anyway; it would have sucked for central Washington) for a little early lunch. One nice thing about these logging towns is you nearly always can get ethanol free premium gas.

The border run was ok. It's not exactly the Tijuana crossing. Once headed south on the actual route, it was mostly rural roads, both paved and gravel, but both narrow, through the agricultural areas. Hops are grown here, and I saw a couple signs stating that Budweiser buys most of them. Must be lower quality I suppose. WA, if you didn't know, is the leading US producer of hops, but most I've seen were in the Yakima River Valley. I didn't even know they grew them up here.

The route goes into the mountains on the west side of the valley, up towards a peak called Roman Nose. The ride got a lot more fun on the forest roads with nice scenery and riding. A black bear was in the road as I came around a corner, but I wasn't able to get the GoPro started quick enough to catch any footage. There was still snow in sheltered spots, mostly on the north faces of ridges, above 4000 ft elevation. Nothing that impacted me at this point, though it was deep enough all the way across the road to block access to the Roman Nose Camp Ground. I wasn't really interested in taking the Expert route down from there anyway, so backtracked a little to take the main route down.

Back to the county roads, across 95 to go east and south to Lake Pend O'reille. Turning east also got me out of most of the haze too. After just a couple of miles along the north shore, the route goes back into the forests at the Trestle Creek recreation area. Nice roads, though a few miles of it had been recently graded. That got a little squirrelly but not too bad. This loop is around 50 miles up to the Lunch Peak fire lookout. Unfortunately, this side road was also blocked by snow. And when I started back south, I came across another full width blockage of snow. But I was able to slide through a rut in the snow and that was the last I saw.

The last stretch down to Clark Fork was a lot of fun with the road being a pretty nice and predictable surface. This was especially nice as one of the thunder cells opened up on me and rained reasonably hard for around 15 miles. Made me glad I wore the Gore-Tex. I pulled into Clark Fork around 6, and didn't expect I'd be able to make it down an entire section to Wallace in two hours of light (a correct assumption) so just turned west on ID200 and stopped in Sandpoint for supper and a beverage. The same system that rained on me continued south, so it was a good thing that I took the break in Sandpoint when I did otherwise I'd have gotten rained on again. Mick Duff's has decent food and a very nice beer selection too, so that had it's own benefits.

Not a candidate for the wall.
    [​IMG]

The smoke really affected longer shots.
    [​IMG]

Here thar be hops.
    [​IMG]

Very spring green along the Kootenay River.
    [​IMG]

It started to get more interesting once climbing out of the valley.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, it is a logging area. So several areas of this slash, but not too obtrusive.
    [​IMG]

Just past this is where I saw the black bear.
    [​IMG]

The sky conditions changed repeatedly. Only a couple bouts of sprinkles on this side of the valley.
    [​IMG]

Roman Nose
    [​IMG]

A stream just off the road.
    [​IMG]
    The view upstream from the log that crosses.
    [​IMG]

A better shot of Roman Nose. I guess I didn't really see that.
    [​IMG]

That stream was basically blowing horizontally out of the tree line.
    [​IMG]

Some snow, but no real issues yet.
    [​IMG]

Some nice views though...
    [​IMG]

The road into Roman Nose Campground. I might have gotten through, but didn't seem worth the risk especially riding by myself.
    [​IMG]

On the north end of lake Pend O'reille. the haze lessened greatly the further east I went.
    [​IMG]

Up from Trestle Creek.
    [​IMG]

I wanted to get up there, but the access road was still pretty socked in with snow.
    [​IMG]
    Lunch Peak Lookout
    [​IMG]

Once through the rain and into Sandpoint, the bike showed a little mud, but really not too bad.
    [​IMG]

Overall, this was a fun ride, but hardly felt like a "backcountry" route. Probably half paved (not including the getting to the route and back) and even a lot of the dirt was not exactly remote. Rural yes, but not remote.
    simbaboy and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff! Be sure and continue on from Wallace south. Easy ride but Moon pass is pretty cool. A few old tunnels you’ll ride through before Avery. That whole area is asesome!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  17. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    I’ve done that piece before, and it IS really cool. I’d like to get all the rest of the IDBDR in this summer, but really won’t be able to do past section 6 as a day ride.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    How long are you going to live in Spokane?
  19. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    That depends. I put in for a job, so I may be un-retiring and staying put in Spokane for several more years. If I don’t get it...?

When I left in 2017 I couldn’t imagine ever living here again. But there’s some reasons that staying would not be the worst thing.
    simbaboy likes this.
  20. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Cool! Well are hopefully moving over that way by the end of the year. I have family in the Spokane Valley and we love most of the outlying areas around Spokane and of course Idaho. Seems like a good group of ADV’rs too that go on alot of rides as a group for day trips. I know one thing...its better than over here in Tacoma!! Sure we’ll see you soon. We are doing the weekend North central ride June 15th. Should be awesome exploring backcountry in Tonasket/Oroville/Republic area. Cheers!
    ScotsFire likes this.