Wandering from my meandering (Latest: WABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, Dec 10, 2017.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Regarding being in Spokane, you’re right about the day trips, and on top of that is how much closer you’ll be to places like Glacier and Yellowstone. All of western Montana and north Idaho is full of great riding. Easy to get into Canada as well.

Only negative will be a shorter riding season. Makes a great excuse to truck your bike south in the winter. Baja beckons.
    simbaboy and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  2. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    June 4, 2019: IDBDR Section 7

My appetite whetted for more mountains, I picked up where I left off the week before. I got an earlier start, not real early, but better. Left Spokane around 9 am and pulling into Clark Fork a bit after 10. Another tank of non-ethanol gas, then coffee and coffeecake (and a cookie to go) from the Clark Fork Pantry, which is more of a bakery and deli than otherwise. Headed out from town just before 11.

Wow. Spring is really green and pretty in this part of the world. The entire ride was through fresh growth of plant life. At some of these altitudes, spring has just started so there were lots of wildflowers. The route went up and over several ridgelines before dropping down to the Coeur d'Alene river. Then right back up to take a more direct line to Wallace. More direct in that on the map you don't follow the river to the west and east for a ways then back the other way, but the maybe ten to fifteen miles as the crow flies took nearly forty travel miles to finish. Total of 109 miles on the trip meter Clark Fork to Wallace. This section DEFINITELY feels like back country. And while the dirt forest roads are big bike friendly, I was dragging ass just like I was at the end of the White Rim Trail in Moab. Right around five hours to get through, I considered continuing south to Avery, but felt that my concentration and decision making would probably not be as good as I'd like on more forest roads, so I slabbed it west on I-90 back to Spokane.

The weather couldn't have been better. Mid-60's to 70's altitude dependent and mostly sunny all day. My biggest complaint is that the ice cream place in Wallace was already closed by the time I got there.

Comparison picture on Lake Pend O'reille. It doesn't show as much as I was hoping, but it was MUCH less smoky.
    [​IMG]

The wildflowers were especially prolific in the Clark Fork River Valley.
    [​IMG]

Scenery and views were awesome from the get go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The forest roads were in great shape for the most part. There had been enough rain in the last few days that the dust was very minimal, especially on the early parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I saw a handful of elk cows over the course of the ride, including a pair just ahead from this picture near the corner in the ravine. Couldn't get my GoPro going quick enough to catch them. I did capture a whitetail doe on video that I'll post after I get something compiled.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention it was green?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top of Grassy Mountain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was not quite the shot I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    But when one is too lazy to get off the bike, and lean just a little too far right to get the shot frame you want, gravity happens.
    [​IMG]
    Isn't this a much better composition?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than the couple miles along the Cd'A River Rd, I only saw two vehicles the entire route. One was a fly fisherman likely just moving between casting spots (his poles were under his windshield wiper blades). Very friendly and pulled over for me immediately.
    The other was a young man that apparently felt the need to try to demonstrate the length of his tool, while ending up simply proving he was a tool. And by tool I mean dick. He would drive slow until I caught up, the accelerate in a cloud of dust so that he could slow down to let me catch up. Whatever. He finally stopped on a switchback to let his dog look out the window (WTF?). I was really hoping he was following me as not even a half mile later I found this.
    [​IMG]
    I've seen lots of trees and branches across roads. But this was the first time there's been a purposefully cut down tree drug lengthwise down the middle of the road. It would really suck if you were a young pinhead boy in a truck that wanted to go this way.
    An older pinhead was able to ride his starbucks scooter through the brush and get past.

Fire is commonly present in the NW. I believe this was a controlled burn as I'd passed a couple of other completed ones on the route. If this were a wildfire, it was unlikely to spread as the fuels are very moist.
    [​IMG]
    As were some of the roads.
    [​IMG]

This section was extremely enjoyable. The most technical was closest to Wallace, and that wasn't very much so. An occasional spot of looser gravel or rocks poking up through the road surface. Overall a pretty easy ride with spectacular views and really fun riding.
    joelee, Zeek-, simbaboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong as I like the forest, stream and pine pictures--but Southwest Desert pictures really lift my spirits.
    The red rock and sand and my DNA must have a lot in common.
    You Retired folks can continue riding as much as you want (at least for now) while the rest of us older geezers just keep on working!
    Keep on riding, my friend!
    Imu
    Zeek- and ScotsFire like this.
  4. Zeek-

Zeek- ZeektheGeek

Oddometer:
    Very kind of you bro! You are most welcome and sentiments are the same. I do love me some "Peach Officer"
  5. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    What can I say. Big clumsy thumbs...
  6. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Some news.

Many of you know that I put in for a job. Several questioned my thought process, judgement, and/or sanity in un-retiring. “WTF would you do that for?!?!” was not an uncommon question.

With a little disappointment I have been informed that I can stay retired. I say a little as it’s not like I was unhappy with the life I’d been leading since I quit work. Going through this process was absolutely very healthy for me, as it did kind of reinstate more of my self-confidence.. I had real doubts whether I was going to be able to go back to work if I wanted to. Those are gone.

What happens next is still a little up in the air. I’m not making any real decisions for a week or two, but am almost certainly not going to start the top to bottom trip at his point. The whole fung shui of the route and timeline feels messed up right now. I might jump into that next year, which would allow for another week in Moab before heading south.
    In the short term the only riding I expect right away will be to complete the IDBDR. The TCAT sounds very interesting, and as long as I’m on the east coast may as well take the TAT back west. It shouldn’t be a surprise if I end up in Alaska for a while too. Suffice it to say that I have no idea what’s next (not exactly an unusual situation), but more meandering and/or wandering is certainly on deck.
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    June 29, 2018: South Fork Clearwater River, Red River Rd, MacKay Bar. (And back)

I spent a handful of days in Grangeville ID. For the record, the Super 8 in town is all right, but doesn't seem to live up to the claimed award of being the most super Super 8 in North America. They do like motorcyclists, and every morning there's a fresh towel placed on each bike to wipe it down, rain or no.

One particular attraction to me in coming to Grangeville was to hit the White Bird Grade, the old US95 climb out of the Salmon River. I thought I could find a non-highway path south then hit it back north to where I was staying.

Therefore I started east, knowing that the road along the South Fork of the Clearwater going to Elk City would likely be an awesome stretch. It was.

[​IMG]

The mountains of North Idaho have only just got the memo that Spring started three months ago. Now that it's officially summer, life is in a rush to catch up.
    [​IMG]

The ride to Elk City was wonderful. Excellent pavement twisties along the river for forty plus miles. Once there, the isolation of a one road in and out town was apparent. There's a gas stop at the Elk Station Café and Store, and the food was ok. I consulted Google Maps and saw that there was a route south to the Salmon River to the MacKay Bar Campground. I had looked at the Salmon before, and surmised that if I got to this campground, there'd be a road downstream to Riggins.

There was a dirt road that ran directly (as directly as is possible in these mountains anyway) south to the Red River Rd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Red River Rd is paved for quite a ways towards Dixie. The valley floors were used as pasture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few miles past the Red River Ranger station the pavement ends and the road gets progressively less maintained and more adventurous.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As is frequent in North Idaho, there were several burn scars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views did get more open the closer I got to the Salmon River. Mostly due to the deepness of that canyon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally the river actually came into sight.
    [​IMG]

The road was much less maintained, and ruts were more of an issue. So of course I caught the front wheel in one and went down. Finally the GoPro was running during an incident as such. Video to follow.
    [​IMG]
    The rut that got me was worse than this.

[​IMG]

The last bit down the slope was a lot looser.
    [​IMG]

But the river was beautiful. But warm. Nearly 90F in the valley.
    [​IMG]

The bad news was that there was no road out. Maybe across the river, with the only access via trail bridge.
    [​IMG]
    At least I am not on a jeep.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The south side had a trail that continued south, but no road. I did a little closer look at Google Maps (at least I had downloaded the area) confirmed that no route out. And no trespassing signs just to cap it off.

I did consider flagging down a jet boat.
    [​IMG]

With nothing else to do, I just turned around and did the four hour ride back the way I came. Forgive me for the lack of pics on the way back. Surprisingly the same, just different.

The ride was pretty awesome actually. I was dragging ass by the time I got back to Grangeville, eleven hours after I left.
  8. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 1, 2019: IDBDR Section 6 - Pierce to Wallace

Excuses to stay in Granger expired, I decided to take the back way home (home is of course a relative term). Cuz that's what I do. But first, I needed to get to Pierce ID, the start of Section 6 of the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route. Grangeville is much closer to Section 4, Pine City to Elk City, but far from me to actually just go somewhere.

I dropped down to the South Fork Clearwater River on ID HW13 up to Kooskia, then north (west) on US12 just a bit to near Kamiah. Right turn, then a wrong turn. Though there were some nice views up there...
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for riding in the alfalfa field. I did at least stay in the previous tracks. Well, mostly.
    [​IMG]

Google Maps gave me a "direct" route from my wrong turn, but it wasn't exactly what the app usually recommends.
    [​IMG]
    I wish it would do this more often.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally in Pierce, the "start" of today's ride, I decided to fuel myself up with lunch.
    [​IMG]
    The Pesto Chicken Pasta looked suspiciously like alfredo with basil sprinkled over the top.
    [​IMG]
    It was still the best meal of the whole trip.

The actual BDR route, or at least this section, ran through many miles of logging roads.
    [​IMG]
    Not even National Forest roads apparently. The logging companies apparently have an endless supply of gravel.
    [​IMG]
    Though some of it was washout repairs and seemingly some new culverts.
    [​IMG]
    Logging slash and loading areas were common.

Some nice views throughout.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Dworshak Reservoir near the Grandad wildlife management area.
    [​IMG]
    I actually had no idea this was out here in the mountains. It was pretty impressive.
    [​IMG]

The route wound around the lake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A bit past that it got more National Forest like, rather than logging areas.
    [​IMG]
    Did I mention that there was some snow?

Spring comes slowly to the area. It was still pretty wet, but that made it very lush.
    [​IMG]

Spring comes real slow.
    [​IMG]

Actually, going through the snow is often better than trying to get around it.
    [​IMG]
    Once again the solution is dragging a 470 lb. bike (dry weight) back uphill.

Finally dropping down towards Avery was very pretty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a short break in Avery (mostly to fill up my one water bottle) I hit the last stretch into Wallace.
    [​IMG]
    If you do get a chance to take this leg of the IDBDR, take the ATV track north from Avery. I have missed it a couple times now, but it looks pretty cool.

I got into Wallace an hour before dark, after another much longer than expected ride. A quick zip into Kellogg for some supper, and perhaps a beer. I took my time so that the setting sun wouldn't be in my eyes as I continued west. Still, an epic ride.
  9. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Thoughts:

It has occurred to me in writing about the last couple of rides that there seems to be a formula. Ill formed or hasty plans, some sort of misstep leading to obstacles or challenges, followed by perseverance to an end state, not always the one expected but always working out, most often taking longer than hoped. And these are not the only two rides following the same steps, indeed it's more the norm than not. If I was an author, I'd be risking the accusation of being uncreative.

I've got some mixed feelings about this revelation. I've had some freaking spectacular rides, and I'm not sure I'd say that I'm incurring an undue amount of risk in the moment. I love the adventure. But it does gall me that I haven't noticed this given how much I've stressed risk/benefit analysis in my career. Trends.

Still processing it in my mind. But what really bothers me are my postponed plans to be riding to South America. Today, July 4 would have been a rest day in Seattle, where I actually am seeing friends and family. But for putting in for that job, I'd just be passing through around six weeks into a seven and a half month trek. Trends like this one may not create a huge issue in the western US, but screwing around in the Andes, or in a politically unstable locale like Nicaragua...

Not that this will keep me from riding. Let's be real here.
  10. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t sweat it. I crossed into Mexico Sept 1st and arrived in Ushuaia March 9th. (And I was stuck in Valparaiso for a month!). Now, I’m about to head South on the IDBDR:)
    ScotsFire likes this.
  11. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    June 4: Section 8 IDBDR
    Some video from the early June ride. And I thought I was done with snow after that ride...

No music and just over 5 minutes long. Sorry ahead of time for the big bug spot.
  12. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Robert,

Everything happens for the best.

South America will always be there--it will happen when The universe conspires with you for it to happen. Its all good.

I just received my new riding jacket---way too expensive and not as comfy as my old one that I sent to Canada. But I am sure the new jacket will get some good adventures in.

Headed to Moab and St.George soon---probably will do some simple trails again but most likely do mostly sightseeing with the Girls.

Stay in touch and plan for our next year rides (Moab and Lake Superior).

Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  13. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 17, 2019: Start IDBR Section 5

After some fiddle farting around, I decided to complete the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route. As you have read above, I completed Sections 8, 7, and 6 as pretty much day rides from home. The rest of the route isn't conducive to that, so (gosh darn it) I just had to pack up and ride the silly thing.

Pierce was around three hours away via pavement. There's some nice pieces of such on the way, but nothing to go out of your way for. I'd already ridden through much of this area before (recently in fact) so other than a coffee stop in the 'Scow (Moscow ID to the locals), just tooled away. As per standard protocol, I did not leave home until well into the day, then had to run a couple errands on the way out of town. This put me into Pierce late afternoon. After fueling up and a relatively quick bite at Miss Lily's again, I pulled out to get at least a couple hours of "real" riding in.

The first ten or so miles from Pierce are on some really fun paved twisties on French Mountain Road (FS 250). Then onto the dirt.

It was very lush in the lower elevations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it did thin out a bit as the elevation climbed. The burn scar would become a recurring theme.
    [​IMG]

The road was in great shape.
    [​IMG]

As it's really still spring this high up, wildflowers were abundant.
    [​IMG]

Stands of silver standing dead from fires were common.
    [​IMG]

The higher peaks of the Bitterroot Range became visible further to the east.
    [​IMG]

The roads got a little rougher in spots, but still pretty easy overall.
    [​IMG]

Having determined to "make better decisions" while riding, I stopped at a reasonable time when I came upon the Rocky Ridge Lake Campground.
    [​IMG]
    Only one other person there made for a pretty quiet evening. The next day it was time to get some real backcountry miles in!
  14. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 18, 2019: A word from our sponsors

This episode brought to you by
    Ride Right
    ride_right.png

This initiative recommends that we all stay to the right side of the trail. Obvious when on the road, but still a great idea when in the backcountry.

Thank goodness I was doing so as some nimrod coming the other way wasn't. He was blasting by on a mid sized enduro (looked like an older Honda 350, but I didn't get much chance to check out the bike). I'm not sure if I was closer to needing to clean dirt off my panniers from the berm on the side of the road, or my shorts.

Please keep in mind that there could always be someone coming around that blind corner. Usually we worry about cars and trucks (and certainly I saw lots of these on this trip), but we can take each other out too.

https://ridebdr.com/rideright/

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
  15. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 18, 2019: IDBDR Sec 5 (continued) - The Lolo Motorway

After a nice sleep, I woke up early and was motivated to move along for a change. Breakfast, coffee, breaking camp, and STILL on the road before 0700. Will wonders never cease?

Heading east on the GPS track, I came upon...
    [​IMG]
    … more burn scar. It was amazing the contrast between the standing dead and the lush undergrowth.
    [​IMG]

It was quite overcast all morning, indeed raining on me a handful of times. But never hard enough to slow me down to speak of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. Blue Sky did try to make an occasional appearance.
    [​IMG]

Being nearly eye level with the bottom of the clouds was pretty neat in its own way.
    [​IMG]

This was part of Lewis and Clark's route back east on their journey of discovery. As such there are several good interpretive signs along the way. Usually including a quote from William Clark's journal.
    [​IMG]

The roads were in pretty good shape, especially considering they were only officially opened the day or two before I traveled through.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The clouds were as interesting as the mountains.
    [​IMG]

After a little bit, I passed a sign noting the entry to the Lolo Motorway. I had actually not ever heard of this historic route, but it was a great ride on top of the history, which I enjoy.
    https://visitnorthcentralidaho.org/things-to-do/lolo-motorway/

[​IMG]
    The views were very nice from the ridge tops where the road often ran.
    [​IMG]

But I was never far from another burn scar, even if many of them were many years, if not decades old.
    [​IMG]

This tree must have fallen that morning. The soil on the roots was still moist. Fortunately falling without anyone underneath.
    [​IMG]
    The logs were so dried out that they were pretty easy to chuck over the side.
    [​IMG]

And the wildflowers!
    [​IMG]
    The motorway was a lot of fun riding and great views. It was also where the aforementioned nimrod (previous post) tried to take me out. There was more traffic on this popular route, both moto and otherwise, than I normally see in my backcountry rides, but not so crowded that it took the fun out of it.

After a quick break at the Lochsa Lodge (which is highly recommended to me for a stay) for a bottle of 'Bucks and a cookie, I took the "alternate" route over Lolo Pass. This loop runs on the south side of US12. Nice views, though not quite as nice as on the Lolo.
    [​IMG]
    And it rained on me. Not too hard, but enough that the visor on my helmet needed wiped several times.

From there I zipped the rest of the way to US93 in Lolo MT, then turned south to Darby for a meal in preparation for beginning the Magruder. Still some daylight left, right?
  16. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    June 18, 2019 (afternoon): IDBDR Section 4 - Starting the Magruder Corridor

After eating in Darby, the official starting point (end point?) of Section 4, there was still quite a bit of light left. After setting a firm deadline to stop, I headed back west. For the most part, it cleared up nicely.

Some of the landmarks are easy to remember what they are called.
    [​IMG]

There was a bit of pavement after leaving US93, but it pretty quickly changed to gravel. The pavement did have some nice curves as the road climbed.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, there was more of this...
    [​IMG]

The riding stayed nice, as did the views, and the roads curvy.
    [​IMG]
    Not a lot of real technical challenges, excepting an occasional hill with loose rock.

The clouds stayed interesting though
    [​IMG]

Castle Rock from a couple of ridges further west.
    [​IMG]

The burn scar did kind of open up the views.
    [​IMG]

The sun starting to drop also made some interesting sights and shadows.
    [​IMG]

A full fifteen minutes before my deadline, I found a real nice primitive camp site on Sabe Saddle, right on the border between the Bitterroot
    and Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests. Things were going swimmingly when I heard some heavy steps a ways behind me. I grabbed my hatchet which was next to me and saw this beast. I then got my cell phone and took video of him. He fully circled my camp, coming within fifteen feet of me or so.​
    (Video just over a minute long)

Other than the circling, he didn't seem at all aggressive. Ending up grazing REALLY close by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He eventually wandered off, and I finished setting up, started a fire, and enjoyed the solitude. Mostly.
    A lone rider did pass by just before full dark on what looked like a BMW 1200 Adv. There but for the grace of God...
    simbaboy and WoodrowBDR like this.
  17. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 19, 2019: IDBR Section 4 (continued) - Magruder Corridor

I slept reasonably well overnight, except that something wandered through camp. I was wondering if it was a bear as it was near where I'd hung my food bag. Then I heard grass being munched.
    And when I had awaken in the early morning, but still relaxing in the tent, I heard the same thing. When I poked my head out, sure enough...
    [​IMG]
    He came back a few more times before I left.
    [​IMG]
    (video 45 seconds)

He did keep coming back and eating the moss and duff at the base of a tree, as shown in the video. I did eventually realize that was where I'd taken a leak when I'd gotten up. Weird.
    He was there watching me as I pulled out. If he continues to be that accepting of people, his head's going to end up on someone's wall.

The weather had cleared and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.
    [​IMG]
    And the flowers were enjoying the sunshine.
    [​IMG]
    This was at the next saddle west from my camp, which had a small campground there. A man walking his dog said he'd had deer through his camp overnight as well, which kept his pooch awake. Also very windy. Made me glad the saddle I stopped at was more sheltered, as I had little wind overnight.

Burnt Knob has an abandoned fire lookout.
    [​IMG]
    The side road up to this was the most technical stretch on the entire IDBDR. Though short, it was the most washed out leaving a section of large rocks to get through. Of course I didn't think to hit the button on the Go Pro till I was through the most challenging part. (Video to follow when I get somewhere with better bandwidth. Jerome ID is not that place.)

The views were worth it though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were even places that had not burned (yet).
    [​IMG]

I pulled into Elk City for Brunch. I can vouch for the Elk Summit Café. Have eaten there a couple of times and it has very good home cooked food. The veggie omelet more than filled me up.
    [​IMG]

This was the "end" of section 4, but lots left to see further south.
  18. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 19, 2019: IDBDR Section 3 - South to the Salmon

After Brunch, and an un-masculine European coffee at the Elk Station, plus some gas for the GS, I headed out. The first (last? I'm doing it backwards) thirty or so miles of this leg are on ID Highway 14. This is a sublime stretch of paved twisties along the South Fork Clearwater River. I've become quite familiar with it as this was the third trip on it in less than a month. While the views aren't quite as impressive, I would actually put the riding experience a little ahead of US12 Lolo Pass. Much less traffic, and tighter turns (for the most part). Even if you're on a road bike, it's very worth the in and out trip to Elk City just to ride this road. No pictures this time as I was just enjoying the turns.

The route turns south a little before ID14 meets ID13 (north to Kooskia and US12) and get's back to dirt for a little bit before connecting with the Grangeville-Salmon Road, aka FS221. This is also paved for probably another 20 miles before turning to gravel. It's pretty nice, but after the Lolo Motorway and Magruder Corridor seemed a bit tame.
    [​IMG]

The BDR route goes through the Ghost Town of Florence. There's many of these gold mining boom towns throughout north and central Idaho. I stopped at the Florence cemetery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In most of the graves it's unknown who lies there.
    [​IMG]
    Others have more information.
    [​IMG]
    A troublemaker from Kentucky? Whooda thunk.

As with most of these towns, after the "easy money" had been made, Chinese immigrants arrived to work the mining further.
    [​IMG]
    There was no information on where they were moved to.

I had intended on stopping at the main part of "New" Florence, built during the second boom, but the entry road had a huge mud puddle to get through. I'll do stream crossings over rocks, but usually you can at least see through the water. This wasn't clear at all and was sloppy slick just getting to it. It didn't seem worth the risk so I skipped it. Interestingly, "Old" Florence was pretty much demolished in searching for gold dust that may have fallen through the cracks in the floors, as well as for building materials for newer buildings.

Continuing south, the canyons kept getting deeper the closer to the Salmon River I got.

Snow on a mountain on the far side of the River, still miles away.
    [​IMG]

Starting to peak down into the actual Salmon River gorge.
    [​IMG]

There were still flowers!
    [​IMG]

And burn scar.
    [​IMG]

The drop into the canyon was a lot easier than a couple weeks back into MacKay Bar. But there was also a fair amount of traffic given it was Friday afternoon/evening. I ran the ten miles into Riggins for supper and to check in with family, then back east up the river for ten or so more miles, to French Creek.

I'm starting to think they should just put this sign up at the state borders, right underneath the Welcome to Idaho.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention that the Snake River canyon is steep and deep?
    [​IMG]

There's some switchbacks to climb all the way out.
    [​IMG]
    For reference, hidden in the brush and trees is this.
    french summit.png

I found a primitive camp spot not too far off the French Summit, and enjoyed another quiet night. Mostly.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    French creek is sweet with all its switchbacks to the top! Loved it!! Well going up anyway...wouldnt be as fun going down IMHO Cheers!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  20. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    July 20, 2019: IDBDR Section 3 (continued) and Section 2 - Salmon River to The Payette River

Sleeping "mostly" all right was because it was colder than expected. I'm kitted out to be all right to well below freezing, but didn't do all that I should have for such. My feet were flat out cold when I woke up, and there was frost on the bike when I finally drug myself out of the sleeping bag. I broke camp as quick as I could, thinking I'd find a spot for hot breakfast and coffee not too far away. Well, lets just say it ain't on the corner.

I had NOT brought my insulated riding gloves, so my hands were so cold after riding a little bit that they hurt like the dickens. Burgdorf Hot Springs is a bit south on the route, but...
    [​IMG]
    And it looked pretty inviting.
    [​IMG]
    So I just sulked there in their driveway, trying to absorb some sunshine and get feeling back into my hands. At least it was a pretty day, and the high meadow was pretty.
    [​IMG]

Very pretty along the Secesh River.
    [​IMG]
    Despite the commonly present burn scar.
    [​IMG]

After arriving in Warren, I had breakfast at the Baum Shelter, the local pub. The buffet was pretty good, especially the powdermilk biscuits. And the coffee hit the spot. The only odd thing was that it was warmer outside in the sun than inside. No fire in the wood stove this morning.

A little south of Warren, I came across another down tree fully across the road. This one hadn't broken into pieces, but I was still able to drag it into the ditch. Again, the dirt on the roots, or at least what was left of them, still had damp earth. I did of course for some reason NOT take a picture before I moved it.
    [​IMG]
    It's not a surprise that all the local UTV's and ATV's have a small chainsaw on board.

Future obstacles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice views and riding.
    [​IMG]

Lots of up and down. Not much along the ridge lines like further north.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Approaching one of the summits, I found some more snow. This was over 8000'.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lots of pretty sights.
    [​IMG]

Views from the top of Elk summit were pretty awesome too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even on a small scale.
    [​IMG]

But I do wonder where that goes.
    [​IMG]

I tried to video it on the way down. But the battery died.
    (Video 30 seconds)

Not very useful...

It goes to a dead end here.
    [​IMG]
    Where I put a fresh battery in the GoPro and filmed the way out.
    (video around 9 minutes)

Where I took a greatly needed bath. My feet were numb this time.
    [​IMG]
    But it had a great view for a tub.
    [​IMG]

I got fuel and had a beer in Yellow Pine. Not much else there right now. Two of the three businesses were for sale. Fuel was $6.00 a gallon, but at least it was 92 octane ethanol free. The one person at the tavern was the bartender, cook, and fuel pumper. But he had a good attitude and was fun to talk with.

Johnsin Creek, going south from Yellow Pine.
    [​IMG]

I noticed that south of the Salmon River, the soil gets more silty and becomes loose a lot more often. Still some nice riding, but watch the corners.
    [​IMG]

I saw a badger in the wild for the first time, and actually caught it on a little bit of video.
    (Video 14 seconds)

It was getting hazier too, as there were a couple of wildfires in this part of Idaho, though nothing real close.
    [​IMG]

Though close enough.
    [​IMG]
    Obviously working on a new stretch for the IDBDR as it seems to have to be burn scar.
    [​IMG]

The crossing at Clear Creek, a little north of Lowman, had been "closed" by the IDBDR web site due to high flows and damage.
    [​IMG]
    That don't look so bad to me.
    (video 47 seconds)

On the last stretch of road going towards Lowman, I stumbled upon a patch of flowers in the burn scar. They were vibrantly lit up by the descending sun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stopped at the Lowman Lodge for some fish and chips. There was a great solo blues musician there. Singing, guitar, slide guitar, and harmonica, this guy had it together. But no room at the inn. SO I had to break the rules and ride for a while after dark to find a decent camp spot.

It was a much longer day than I had intended, especially as I was going to "take it easy." But very satisfying.