Wandering . . . Indiana (Noob)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdfog2, Jun 30, 2012.

1. 8trackmind

8trackmind Chainsaw Monkey Juggler

Oddometer:
    Apologies for dredging this thread up. :shog

Glad to hear it all worked out as well as it did though.
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey 8track - no worries buddy!
    We're good :)

Unfortunately, Dad's wife has gone off the deep end mentally and is requiring an exhausting amount of attention to manage every day.

That's why I have NOT had time to post stuff.

BUT - you all - this site - and this thread - are all therapy.

So I appreciate your input. Hoping to dredge some fotos out of that camera ASAP and start getting them on here.

J
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checking to see if you are still Wandering Indiana.

Never would have imagined that anyone on ADVRider had been to Cunot.

Did not know about the V2 on display. I will need to check that out on my next trip.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to restart this thread so I don't post too much and crowd my friend Joel's ("Still Wandering ... Indiana") thread

Took a country road ride this evening and it was nice nice nice (did I say it was nice?) in West Central Humidistan.
    The country road was also very nice - it's hilly, curvy, very well paved (for the most part) and had plenty of cool shaded spots to offer some cool air for the vents of my (older but hardly ever used) First Gear Kili. I don't think that's a Summer jacket but the one I have - it was just the thing - back when they first hear about vents in jackets :)

Seriously, I thought I'd give the First Gear Jaunt Jacket a reprieve.. It's not too old but it is worn, dirty, and apparently in need of some Tech Wash and Tech Wax - found out recently that is hydrophobicity - ( this is my thread, I'll invent words if I want to!) has turned to hydrophilicity (it loves water now instead of shedding it.

And the brand spankin new First Gear TPG Ranier ( thanks for the tip on the on sale pricing ADVRIDER Inmates! ) has been worn a few times but I thought I'd try the old Kilimanjaro again since I wasn't going far. After that experiment I am reminded why I haven't worn it much.
    It's a lot better for cooler weather - even with the liner removed :)

Enough of that. So my route ran southward out of Greencastle, Indiana sorta like this. I mentioned earlier it's hilly and winding - it's very nice in my opinion. But I could probably work for the Chamber of Commerce just about anyplace I've lived.

Heck, I even can sell you on the virtues of Oklahoma! (Boomer Sooner!)

Back to the topic at hand. Here's a shot of my route.
    route.JPG
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a map of covered bridges in our area - we have a couple, or three ? :jack:lol3

bridges.JPG
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Near the end of my ride I stopped by our local university - a very nice place indeed, with landmark buildings I've known my entire life
    This one is called "East College" (it's at Depauw University - Go Tigers!)
    I enhanced the ambience with the VStrom in the foreground and the humidity in the air was a freebie - a Hoosier Hospitality bonus !

strom_east_college.jpg
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next, we rode on "uptown" for some refreshment and stopped here - no, not the bar - but they DO have great Breaded Tenderloin sandwiches - the unofficial traditional food of Indiana
    bikes_downtown.jpg

And this was where I was sitting when I took that pic

And - what I was doing is evident - my weekly sugar :)
    This place is one of many places in our little town - that are in the rejuvenated downtown area. Very nice !

we_scream.jpg
    radianrider likes this.
  8. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone headed this direction be sure to message me and maybe we can get together and do some exploring of our rural area (I know a LOT of it and where it leads and a lot of it is very picturesque)

Thanks for reading - stay tuned - I'll be revving this thing up more and more as time goes on
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    What's the pavement quality on that north-south segment on the western portion of your loop and the northern east-west segment? Google maps suggests those would be fantastic on a bike. Is it broken asphalt, gravel in tar, or decent pavement?

I love the scenery along the backroads of central and southern Indiana - but the roads themselves are often a bit wanting for smoothness.
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The western portion from south to north is not a speedy section. The asphalt isn't even there in some sections.

The west to east portion almost all the way from the county line (where it showed the turn back toward Greencastle) all the way to Greencastle is not quite sport bike quality but close. I've seen people go a lot faster than I care to on that section. There's a couple of places you could get airborne due to a rapid elevation change or humpy hilltop. But it's mostly very nice (right now).

Of course next year it may be tore up. Another really nice road is the Poland to Bowling Green road that starts ends in those two towns. Getting to Poland can really be a blast as well if you take State Road 42 from 231 just south of Cloverdale.

I tend to go straight south out of Greencastle down that same road shown in my map. Over US 40 through Manhatten a d then on to Poland. That CAN be fun when that road is in good shape. But one year it is and the next it isnt...
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I've been on 42 from Cloverdale/231 all the way to Terre Haute in the last ten years. I was probably on the segment east of Cloverdale to Mooresville when I was a kid because I played jr. high basketball in every two bit gymnasium in that part of west central Indiana. I remember a few times getting off the bus toward the back of old buildings and walking down the stairs to the basement boiler room that served as the visiting team locker room. A single light bulb overhead and a bench in the middle of the narrow hallway barely wide enough to turn around in. And the courts weren't much bigger once they had ten players on them. Monrovia, Emminence, Amo, Stilesville - I played all the big arenas in that area!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monrovia Bulldogs. Aptly named. Traditionally that has been the toughest little school around in sports (at least since I have been retired from the Air Force and moving "Back Home again in Indiana" ... it's that time of year - couldn't help myself :)

Eminence, Amo, and Stilesville are all pretty much just dots on the map anymore. I too grew up when those were places that had people out and about.
  13. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Good to see you revive this thread! (Although you are always welcome to post on mine!)

Some of the road conditions pout that way convinced me to get a less sportbike-style bike.
  14. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been delinquent in keeping this thread going but here's some new content. Not very detailed but I'll start doing better. Was having so much fun riding I forgot to take many pics.

First I did this on the 4th of July in the morning

Attached Files:

15. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then I just got back from doing this today (08 JUL 2019)

Note in the previous post it was a round trip. So it was more than twice that long. Possibly due to the fact that I MAY have stopped at the "Darilicious" in Crawfordsville on my return trip. :D

Here's today's Southern Indiana ride. That Highway 150 portion - oooh lala !

Attached Files:

72 Yamaha RD350 and radianrider like this.
  16. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I've been wanting to do this ride for a while.
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    450.JPG Joel,

I am going back ASAP. There's plenty to check out down there. Both highways 450 and 550 also need a serious going over to see if the road surfaces are nice for motorcycles. The hills and curves that appear on the map look super.
  18. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5 550_150.JPG 50 - 150
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Now that’s a route I’d love to ride! I love south central Indiana. I haven’t been to Loogootee in decades. Still remember my dad teaching me how to say it correctly.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Started a long ride today (long for me anyway).

Left Indiana around 0930 this morning and arrived in Salem, Mo. almost 9 hours later.

The route I took included about 2 or 3 miles of I 70 ... just outside West Terre Haute where US 40 is missing a section.

I am not sure Google Maps and I had the same thing in mind but when I selected the option "Avoid Highways" they took me seriously. I ended up in chip n seal 3 or 4 times (minimum) the last hour or so going into Chester Ilinois.

Although there was quite a bit of "nothing but miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles" between Effinghman and Chester it was still a very beautiful ride. The vistas were breathtaking in the way only a flatlanders can all appreciate I suppose.

By the way, I felt almost all alone most of that stretch. Or so I thought until later in the day. Seriously though, there was hardly any traffic the entire way. Downtown Terre Haute was the most traffic I encountered until Farmington Missouri.

The ride from Chester on it's two lane bridge over the Mississippi River was neat (and there were hardly any cars on it when. I crossed!) But...keep your eyes forward Mister...this thing is narrow a d you go where you look... :)
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.