Wandering . . . Indiana (Noob)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdfog2, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road from Chester to Farmington, Mo. was very nice. Part of it along the "great river road" or at least one of probably many roads with that name. Hilly in places, curvy in many places, and scenic.

Farmington is the biggest small town I previously had little knowledge of. I didnt stop except at traffic lights but it reminded me a lot of many "nice" suburbs of major cities. Including traffic. That place was busy and even has a divided stretch of four lane reminiscent of 37 around Blooming Gulch (Bloomington, Indiana)

Highway 32 from Farmington to Salem is absolutely " the bees knees!"

A lot of it was through forested hills, curves a plenty, long, long sweepers mostly but many S curves as well. I felt like I was going fast but in reality I was mostly going between 45 and 55 when I had a chance to glance at the GPS. And a lot of the forest in fact was the Mark Twain Forest. Very very nice area. (I go trout fishing at Montauk State Park which is near Licking, Mo. Which is 20something Mike's from Salem. In fact, my routed tomorrow starts with Licking being the first destination.

I would say I almost grew weary of it but right when I felt about worn out, there'd be a break with long hilly straight road (relatively) for a few minutes. It is the longest road with that many curves I've ever ridden. I hope the trip from Salem to Oklahoma is half as good tomorrow.

I tried to up load pics but it didnt work. Will try again soon.

Later taterz
    radianrider, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  2. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics. Neat Church in Teutopolis, IL. Couldn't quite fathom such a small town having such a magnificent church. I'm not Catholic but I appreciate my fellow Christians that are. 20190903_103557.jpg
    radianrider likes this.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No Sooner (Oklahoma reference, get it?l) :)

Anyway, no sooner that getting back on the bike I drive past this a block further down the road. Being tortured military this got me right in the feelz so I had to turn around a d checknkt out. NICE Church and a great monument to vets in one small town. A picture quickly formed in my mind of this being a great community with a lot of selfless, caring people. The kind that worked hard to build out great country.

This is better if viewed in person. So I saw more than a few more small towns throughout Central and SW Illinois with monuments to vets that were very nice.

I often get in a bit of a high horse and think of Illinois as a high tax, high crime, political wasteland (due to Chicagoland mostly). Nkt at all fair. After that tour through a large swath of the state maybe I should admit it's better than Indiana. Maybe I should...but I won't. But, it is a lot more than it appears on endless Interstate trips "just passing through."

20190903_104742.jpg
    20190903_104703.jpg 20190903_104732.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next...Chester, illinois. On the banks of the Mighty Mississippi... no pics because it was hard to stop in a 2 lane iron bridge but that was neat ( the bridge ). If you google map it and zoom in you can see the shadow of the iron structure on the water. If you zoom further you can see the iron on the bridge itself. Again, very neat.

So just over the bridge...
    20190903_143058.jpg
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The view is more impressive there than a pic can show. But it was an immediate, drastic change over scenery on the other side of the river.

It made me have the sudden realization that I was "someplace else" as the previous scenery in many ways looked just like where I live.

Next up...
    JB2 likes this.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The grandeur of this "mountain" in Missouri is hard to imagine from a mere cell phone pic (and I know very little other than pointing and shooting).

But it was really something to see. The sun and shadows playing together were beautiful and the mountain itself is larger than it appears. It dominated the landscape in the area.

It was outside Caledonia, Mo. The Cross7ranch sign
    http://gaston7crossranch.com/
    was next to the Cross7 Ranch which is where I stopped to take the pic. It also looked very nice from the road. The entire area was really beautiful and probably not what a lot of people would think of when they think of Missouri.

The Mountain
    20190903_162012.jpg

The Ranch sign
    20190903_162022.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next stop, Salem, Missouri
    Stopped at one of the two Hotels in town and the first one was full. Mostly due to a "Hillbilly" poker run. Here's a few of the culprits
    20190903_175319.jpg
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  8. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So luckily the other hotel in town (Ranch Hotel) had vacancies. I was apprehensive due to my own personal biases I suppose. I can, and literally have, slept on the ground, in the bed of a pick up, and spent what seems like 1/2 my adult life living in a tent.

But I guess because of those experiences I have certain expectations when I'm paying.
    I was hoping it would in fact be the Ranch Hotel and not the Roach Hotel.

Whe I pulled close and saw a few dump trucks and corporate pickups parked around the periphery of thenlarking lot my fears were pretty much put to rest. I used to be a guy that drove or rode in similarl vehicles and we stayed in "value" lodging but never unclean or poorly maintained places.

I was more than pleasantly surprised with the accomodations. It was very clean, didn't smell, room was cool, in very good repair, and had been recently updated. Bonus was the bed was firm and sturdy. Important for a guy with a bad back that just ride a motorcycle all day.
    radianrider likes this.
  9. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A screenshot of the best stretch of my journey (so far).

The green shaded area was the best part...but it was all nice.

If you Google map it and zoom in it's even curvier. And...hilly.

Screenshot_20190905-180242_Maps.jpg
    JB2 and FastDoc98 like this.
  10. FastDoc98

FastDoc98 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying coming along on this trip. I live just north of T-town (as the locals call it), so it's fun to see someone else go to places I know so well. I'm thinking now maybe the ride from Chester to Farmington needs to get on my to-do list. My son and I used to go to Farmington area to ride at St. Joe state park on dirtbikes; now I've got a reason to explore the area. Keep it up!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next stretch
    The Salem to Licking to Cabool ride was very nice. It was easier technically than the previous stretch into Salem but of course it was shorter and mostly not as severe in the frequency and tightness of the curves. It was also easy to keep up a more rapid pace but still have time to "smell the roses" along the way. I suspect the views may have been very nice as well. But the low hanging clouds or fog kept visibility a bit limited until just a few minutes before getting into Cabool.

Road was in super good condition. Also didn't feel as boxed in as running through the Farmington to Salem stretch. But still..lots of nice long curves and elevation changes! 20190905_182814.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along. Hope to ride with you and Joel soon.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  13. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    He'll keep pace with you better than I do :lol3. He can wick it up pretty well!
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  14. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I was just reading this thread again and I had missed this post. I rode from Bowling Green to Poland earlier this summer and most of it had new pavement on it. Didn't even have lines yet. I had a great time on that section!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  15. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Current Situation Report.

Fun o meter pegged!

20190908_103721.jpg
    Been raining almost all morning ...was very light when I left Motel and gradually got heavier. Stopped at a gas station and theres a bar and grill next door so waiting it out.

Riding in rain was fine. I have good gear.
    But after the heavy rain started my visor couldn't keep from fogging. Cracked it a d that worked about 10 minutes, then flipped it 3/4 open and it took about 15 more minutes for my glasses to get cool enough that they couldn't stop fogging.

God provided a good place to stop where there wouldn't have seemed to be one logically.

RADAR a few minutes ago...its headed south...

Screenshot_20190908-110034_AccuWeather.jpg Screenshot_20190908-110034_AccuWeather.jpg
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it home. Long day.
    JB2 likes this.
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you missed the worst of it.

That’s not a storm to ride through regardless of gear quality.
    radianrider likes this.
  18. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for watching FastDoc98! Which T-Town ? Tulsa ? Terre Haute?
  19. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RD

I'm not always the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to risk taking. But before I saw the RADAR I saw the clouds and felt the wind (and rain) and knew that was not something I wanted to keep riding in.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed one of my local faves Joel.
    Seems kinda subdued after that Ozarks action... but it'll do :)
    radianrider likes this.