Wanderlust to the Sunshine State on a Moto Guzzi...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, Feb 11, 2018.

1. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I have a trip up to Reno next week and looking at your travels I started to check out the weather along 395 as I'm on the central coast of California and have ridden that way a few times, I need to get my Stelvio out for a longer trip and this seems to fit the bill. Plus I hope to get more great views of the Sierra Nevada's covered in snow like I saw last year.

[​IMG]
    black 8 and bobw like this.
  2. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    I like that routine maintenance seems to be really straight-forward and user-friendly. I have always done my own maintenance work. I was just curious whether there was anything particular to the Guzzi that might make you rethink long distances from a dealer? I have heard, for example, that there have been some fuel pump questions recently.

Actually, I live in Kona, Hawaii and there are NO dealers of substance here. If I were to ship the bike home after my trip, what would I be expected to give up?

GREAT trip! Thoroughly enjoyed it. I suspect that my own trip will follow portions of yours. I'm going to look more into the whole route 66 thing.

doc
    black 8 likes this.
  3. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Great ride report and great photography!
    black 8 likes this.
  4. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Damn... that's a really nice view...
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    rkover1...

you won't be disappointed with Route 66... having not planned my trip in advance I stayed in chain hotels like the Baymont, Day's Inn, Super 8...

the only thing I would change is that I wish I had stayed at the smaller Route 66 themed motels...
    klaviator likes this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    thanks wade...
  7. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Conway summit just North of Mono Lake, plus plenty of space for one of your stickers on the railing.
    black 8 likes this.
  8. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I don't know about fuel pump issues, there is a half plastic/half metal fuel filter in the tank that I'd change out when time permits (I did so on my V7 but have yet to get to it on the Stelvio but it is an easy reach on the big bike) but there are very few reports of it failing even if the plastic part swells up (and it will). My Stelvio has never been to the dealer and my V7 went only once for it's 600 mile service and I felt I could easily have passed on that one.
  9. Scott Parish

Scott Parish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rudy - thanks for sharing your ride and experience. Between your descriptions and great photographs - I almost felt I was there. I'm prepping for a ride around the country (all 48 contiguous states) and Alaska in June. Would love to pick your brain a bit since you have covered many of the same roads/miles I will be traveling. I'm in Escondido and enjoy having a beer (or 2) at Barrel Republic in Oceanside. :)
    black 8 likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ Post Ride Review

Moto Guzzi Stelvio - the goose did an exceptional job of taking me to the Sunshine State and back. She's a cruise missile on two wheels and never complained whenever I whacked the throttle to pass, climb hills, or fight headwinds with the load I was carrying... I say this because of the previous bikes I have used for adventures (650/800cc), not that these other platforms couldn't do it... the goose did it with such aplomb that she left me with a big grin under my helmet. What a difference an 8.5 gallon gas tank makes for long distance rides, I didn't have to stop as often looking for the next gas station or worry about if I have enough to keep going, I could just enjoy the ride and stop at my leisure... speaking of that... not having to do chain maintenance was a bonus with the shaft drive. Having that shaft drive and tubeless tires meant that I carried less tools and supplies allowing me to keep my gear weight down. Her ABS and TC (and safe speeds) gave me the confidence to ride in inclement weather throughout the Gulf Coast States and heaven knows I ran into a lot of rain during this trip. She's a hefty girl at 598 lbs but she hides that weight well when on the move. The only time I could feel that weight was when stopped or while pushing her into the Redverz tent. Now, she does run warm having the cylinders right by my knees, however, that was welcome during the early morning cooler temps... Key West was another story though with that heat. For now the goose will undergo some much needed maintenance to get her ready for future rides...

1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_5273.jpg (photo credit to ridewithAB)
    Klim Latitude Misano Jacket/Traverse Pants combo - what can I say, this gear kept me dry without a single leak. They also kept me warm when the temps dropped down to 45 degrees with the proper layers and allowed me to tolerate temps in the mid-80s with all my vents open... On my previous adventures I used a mesh jacket and kevlar riding jeans during the summer - nothing wrong with that gear but it was a pain having to stop and don rain gear whenever I saw dark clouds ahead. With the Klim gear I could just zip all the vents closed and keep riding. The gortex material allowed my body to breath whereas my old rain suit - I could feel the sweat rolling down my back and monkey butt from the jeans because the material did not breath.
    Forma Adventure Boots - did an excellent job of keeping my feet dry and safe... these were the same boots I used for Alaska. My only complaints... these boots get hot as the temps climb even with the vented insoles I put in . When worn for extended days, the interior has a hard time drying out but that comes with the territory of a waterproof boots (they were not gortex).

Moto Mosko 35L Panniers - the goose came standard with aluminum side cases but I wanted soft cases instead... just my preference. I had a get-off with my KLR on my way back from Alaska, in short I ran into some gravel in a construction zone by Teslin and had a "tank slapper" at 35-40 mph (first time for me... talk about pucker factor moment) and went into the ditch. I was OK... nothing broken but wish I could say the same for the bike. In that moment I thought about putting my feet down to steady the bike but was afraid to break my legs because of the Tusk panniers (those things are built like a tank). So I wanted soft panniers because they are less likely to break my legs in a get-off and absorbs some of the impact instead of transmitting that shock to the frame that could lead to tweaked parts/frame. Anyway, the Mosko Moto panniers did well considering all the rain I came across. They are flexible in that I could pack as little gear as I wanted then cinch the straps down to compact them OR I could overstuff them and just use the minimum of two folds to still keep them waterproof. Then there are the beavertails, whenever I stripped off a layer, I just tucked them under the beavertail without having to get into the panniers... pretty useful. As for security, I used the Steelcore luggage locking straps that I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV since I had some RM cash that I could use...

DSC01403.jpg

Sony DSC RX-1 and RX100 MKIII - these were the two cameras that I brought along for the trip. They are point and shoot style cameras that did a great job of capturing images. The RX-1 was stored in the panniers and I pulled it out for money shots - the RX100 was slung across my body for the roadside shots. I wanted to test these two out to see what kind of quality I could get out of them. I may go back to using a DSLR just because I like looking through the eyepiece instead of a small screen to compose the photo...

Well that about does it for this ride report, until next time...

cheers and keep the rubber side down...

11. black 8

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Not a problem Scott, next week sometime would be good... PM me some dates and times... I'll be going on rides with fellow inmates next weekend though...
  13. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another great RR and for continuing to raise the bar for photography...I think we'll be investing in a better point & shoot camera before our next trip to see if we can up our game a bit.
    Well done & I hope we can meet up when you come through Colorado this Summer.:beer
    black 8 likes this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vic... looks like you and Hannah had a blast in Morocco... have a safe trip back home...
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  15. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report, Rudy! Many of us may just ride through old towns and boring roads, but you have a way of seeing intrigue, history and beauty all along the way. I really like your enthusiasm, and you have a wonderful way of seeing the world. The writing and great photography are a great bonus for us inmates that enjoy your ride reports!

I'll PM you about next weekend's ride.
    Halen, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rick...

I'm packing my gear as we speak...
  17. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    great rap up Rudy!
    black 8 likes this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kelly... how's the beemer doin'?...
  19. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your journey. Thanks for posting :thumb
    black 8 likes this.
  20. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. I'm sitting in Zion as I type this, but sadly no motorcycle this time.

We put a few miles on route 66 quite by accident yesterday near Flagstaff, AZ . We checked out the South rim of the Grand Canyon on the way
    IMG_20180330_091842.jpg
    I have to say there are no pictures that can do Zion justice.
    black 8 likes this.