Wanderlust to the Sunshine State on a Moto Guzzi...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, Feb 11, 2018.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tagging along...
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I just googled Zion Nat'l Park and looks like a great destination for some hiking and photos... too many great places to go on a bike... I'm headed to Pikes Peak in June and may have to explore Utah...

Thanks for tagging along and the tip for Zion...
    aftCG likes this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google Angels Landing in Zion. It is epic in every sense of the word.
    black 8 likes this.
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap... my back and arms got tingles just looking at the photos... let alone climbing that trail... :knary
    Zubb likes this.
  5. 68vette

68vette Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've hiked Zion a couple of different times. Awesome experience. There and Yosemite are 2 of my favorite parks.
    black 8 likes this.
  6. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    When pics of your goose started showing up in some of favorite threads, knew i had to come along for the ride report. Good stuff man! Enjoyed that! :thumb
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Never been to either... but definitely a future destination...
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks... the goose is just barely braking in too...
    okiegtrider likes this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please forgive the spam of 'likes' I threw at your ride report but the wonderful photography and narrative deserved them. What an amazing journey and thanks for taking us along. As we all plan our next journey we have to live vicariously through others. You sir are an inspiration.

Eric
    black 8 and ADK like this.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    No worries Eric...

glad you had a good time following along... I'm taking advantage of this retired thing to see as much as I can while I can... everyday is a bonus day that I can get out there for the next adventure...

cheers...

Rudy
    Zubb and The Virginian like this.
  11. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jealous...December 2019 for me...not that I'm counting... :photog
    black 8 likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report:thumb You really have this touring on a budget down. This is something I need to figure out as I am approaching retirement and want to do some long trips.

I can see how the Guzzi would be great for this type of trip. I have smaller bikes and while they are a lot of fun, they aren't as good at eating miles and it's also harder to carry the amount of stuff needed for a long ride with camping.

Towards the end I saw Zion mentioned. Zion is my favorite park. I have been there a few times, always on a bike. Last time I hiked to Observation Point (Angels landing was closed that day:() It was by far the most epic hike of my life.

You are lucky to have so many great places to ride so close to you. Just in case you run out of ideas:D, here's my last trip to the Southwest: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/southwest-by-versys.1066154/
    B10Dave and black 8 like this.
  13. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report; just read through all of it. Thank you for posting it.
    black 8 likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the link klav... Utah is definitely on my must ride list in the coming year...

you're right about too many good places to ride in this part of the country...
    klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    thanks... just sharing my RR like so many other inmates have done...
  16. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    black 8, great RR! I enjoyed your camera work and the proof that budget travel can be done easily. Love the Goose too!
    black 8 likes this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    gotta save some duckets somehow when I'm out on adventures so I can continue future adventures since I have a fixed income now... I don't get social security for another 12 years... :mully
    B10Dave likes this.
  18. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well thanks to today's bumps here's another thank you for doing the report. Heavy snow storms up here so I read the whole thing tonight.

Couple questions. I noticed less camping and more motels as the trip moved along. I suffer from the same issue. Have all the gear along and good intentions, but as I age I am just less interested in sleeping on the ground. Add to that inclement weather and screw it, I will opt for a motel.

Second, I am not military. Could you talk about the stay's on military bases for those of us not in the know? I am assuming it is only available to active duty and retiree's. But wow, the officers quarters were something else. And even the Yurt, can't beat it with a stick.

Great report on an awesome ride! Hopefully see you out on the road sometime.

Dave
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Dave,

My intent was to camp the entire way so I could save on motel costs, however, the constant rain through NM, TX, LA, and MS precluded those plans... during my AK trip I camped the majority of the time and was lucky to run into rain only 2X... my tent stayed relatively dry - that and I had plenty of daylight to dry my tent even from the morning dew... This time around was a different story with daily rain through the Gulf Coast States and I didn't feel like dealing with a wet tent everyday so I chose to motel it. Notice that once I left San Antonio, I had grown weary from the rain, not because of being wet but from not being able to stop to smell the rose, explore, and take photos... I don't mind sleeping in a tent, hell I even upgraded to a Klymit Static V Luxe air pad, a pillow, and a camp chair...

As for the military bases... yes for active duty, retired, and their dependents...

I retired from the Marine Corps as a staff non-commissed officer (SNCO) - so I am used to the standard conditions; that's why I like staying at the other service's bases... better than what I am used to... camping grounds usually cost me anywhere from $10 to $16 depending of location and season... the Inns on the base are usually $65 for my rank...

As for motels on the way back, I didn't have any rain... I was having way too much fun exploring Route 66 and didn't want to waste time packing my gear that would take away from saddle time...

hope that answers your question... and hope to meet as well...

Rudy
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  20. sweet jimmy b

sweet jimmy b Living life like a song!

Oddometer:
    Great thread, great pics, great journey. Thank you for sharing.
    black 8 likes this.