Wanderlust to the Sunshine State on a Moto Guzzi...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, Feb 11, 2018.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tagging along...
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Simply outstanding! I enjoyed that.
    black 8 likes this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thank you...

I’m planning a spring migration northward with the goose in the coming year...
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    The Icefields Parkway will be waiting. :thumb
    black 8 likes this.
  5. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your next trip. You have a talent for writing about your adventures. I wonder if you travel alone because you prefer to or if it just works out that way. Probably half my trips are solo, I actually prefer that most of the time although it is cheaper when someone splits the room cost. Sometimes it's nice to have a partner along.
    black 8 likes this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    On longer trips I prefer solo rides... that way I’m not on anybody else’s schedule when I stop to smell the roses... I can come and go whenever I’m ready.

I’m never really alone on the solo rides since I meet so many people when I stop...
  7. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean, people always approach me when I'm alone but seldom do when there are a couple riders. I change plans in a heartbeat also
    black 8 likes this.
  8. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never taken a solo trip. Maybe it's time.
    black 8 likes this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    I enjoy the freedom and solitude that comes with a solo ride... let’s you contemplate “stuff”... a form of therapy for me...
  10. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    I've come to enjoy riding alone as well. I had a couple very close friends years ago I travelled with and we thought alike on the highway. The main guy has since passed away. He and I crossed the USA many times. I tried a couple group rides locally this past summer and couldn't do the whole "road captain" and orderly thing. In each case I dropped back to have some elbow room and later departed the group altogether after I was told I was "too far behind". :fpalm

Riding alone in the Rockies or on the desert allows all the worlds problems to be solved and the best hits of the eighties to be sung.
    shuckinator and black 8 like this.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three.

Zubbs Law: Rule 32.b - The maximum number for any activity is three.

I too like to travel solo. It is the ultimate selfish act. In a good way.

But having skied, hiked, mountain biked, surfed, rock climbed, etc etc in groups . . . . . my compadres and I all agree that 3 is the max number for any trip. Even if the 4th person is a super good friend of all of us, there is something about a fourth that always mucks up the flow and energy of the trip. We also agree that is not always about who the 4th is. It's just the number 4.
    If you are a seasoned traveller, I challenge you to think about the trips with 3 people vs the trips with 4 people and see if you don't agree.

A twosome is particularly dangerous. Going as two is only 'mutually satisfying' if you really know and enjoy the speed/pace/style of each others riding. I am particularly fortunate in that my son and I are of very similar mindset. We unexplainably end up road racing, lolly-gagging, iron butting, putt putting, camping, all on the same schedule. We just really sync up as a riding team, and we've made some of the very best memories of my life. We plan, scheme and dream all year about when and where we will meet for our annual adventures. But solo . . . . solo travel is pure. It's wonderfully selfish, and I believe it's necessary.
    black 8, RedDogAlberta and staticPort like this.
  12. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:

I totally agree with this. Especially, your last statement. Most of my long rides are solo. I love to explore, and being alone allows me to travel the road less traveled without people bitching about where are we going, I’m bored, this sucks, I’m hungry, etc, etc. Only one of my good buddies really blends with my riding style. Totally chill, loose (to no) agenda.

I tend to solo hike and mtn bike a lot too. That is how I do my recon and find the best trails. I tend to hike/bike fast and push myself, so a lot of my friends complain.

I also make many friends or people I partner with on the trail. When hiking the Grand Canyon, I was in the middle of nowhere and partnered up with a German lad. We finished the hike together, had a nice dinner that night and exchanged numbers. I think people find you more approachable when solo. I’ve been told I look friendly and very approachable, so that never hurts.
    black 8, Zubb and Wierdrider like this.
  13. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I generally like solo long distance rides...I really enjoyed the company of Folly1 on our 2016 ride to Alaska. Unlike some, many, even a lot of riders...he pushes through the tough stuff without a whimper and always maintains his sense of humor. Great riding buddy for someone with a great attitude and wants company.
    black 8 and Folly1 like this.
  14. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom. I can say the same about you.

BTW, I can whimper but sensed that Tom had a low tolerance for whining, as does my wife, so there was no profit in it. :1drink

Ben.
    black 8, CharlestonADV and Wierdrider like this.
  15. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read it all. Great report. Only about 30 more years before I retire!
    black 8 likes this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Well inmates... I'm starting to get that itch as spring approaches... I've been busy these past few months on the day trippin' side heading off to the PNW and exploring Death Valley...

Lately I've been doing some training with weights and a mountain bike to build strength in my legs and upper body in case I have to pick up a 1200cc ADV bike... I've also been gathering some updated camping gear to replace my surplus stuff... like my refurbished Klymit KSB 0 Down oversized sleeping bag, luxe pillow, and Static V Luxe XL pad so I can spread out instead of felling like a mummy in the bag....

Tomorrow my new-to-me Catoma Falcon Speedome will get delivered from eBay... can't wait for the next set of adventures in this New Year...

These are the photos the seller sent me... it was used as a shelter for firefighters during wildfires...

No more hassle with this 60 second tent... I'm stoked for some moto-camping now....

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 copy.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16001.jpg
    08StangGT_CS and Switchglide12 like this.
  17. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice tent.
    black 8 likes this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    I just loved this whole trip. Thanks. :clap
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    I received it yesterday and it looks bigger than depicted in the photo... I can sleep in there with all my moto gear comfortably and still have room leftover...
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for coming along...