1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanderlust, vacation and a V-Strom – heading out to explore Southeast Europe.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Don T, Jul 15, 2014.

1. El Dudeness

El Dudeness Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your ride until now - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and am looking forward to more pictures and story telling.

Nice to see the Papa Ciric, Bogdan and Christian!

Ride safe brother....

Vi snakkes ved du - fortsat fed tur!
  2. shallowskiff

shallowskiff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very nice
  3. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    You would have loved it!
    The 690 would have been perfect for the area where I camped in the wild :evil
  4. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    More is coming tonight. I've just been too busy riding and enjoying life :norton

Say hello to Pia from me.
  5. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thanks I appreciate it.
  6. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    25th of July:
    Zelengora Mountain, Bosnia - Stanici, Croatia 306 km.

I woke at first light and went for a walk in the area. It was a beautiful morning. I took a different route down the mountains. It was half the distance on gravel and the road was in better condition for the most part. It was good to see tarmac again - I know it's not the most Advrider'ish thing to say but riding a bike like the V-Strom I prefer tarmac and only leave it when necessary to get to where I want to go.
    Back on firm ground I continued to Mostar: A historic town with a famous bridge but a real tourist trap. From there I aimed for the Adriatic Coast. Before reaching the coast I had to cross the border to Croatia. The first border crossing I got to wouldn't let me cross, as it was a crossing only for locals. After a short detour I arrived at the international crossing. There were hundreds of cars waiting in line. I rode to the front and was waved through without showing any papers. It's good to be riding a bike. When I hit the coast I followed it north.
    Before long the heat was killing me and the ocean beckoned so I decided to call it a day. After a few failed attempts I found a vacant room. 15 minutes later I was splashing in the waves. Later I had dinner at a restaurant on the beach while watching the sunset.

Views in the morning including the lake that looks like Africa (upside down)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I feel when riding gravel on the V-Strom :lol3
    [​IMG]

Leaving the camp site
    [​IMG]

In search of tarmac
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dried mud - the only accessory for adventure bikes that you can't find in a Touratech catalog - yet...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one point when I stopped to take a picture a cow was lurking in the grass across the road. While my back was turned as I was taking the picture the cow had crept up to and was sniffing my bike. It started to walk off before I could snap another picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

En route to Mostar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mostar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Adriatic coast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drying the tent on the balcony of my room
    [​IMG]

The view from my balcony
    [​IMG]

The view from my table at dinner that night
    [​IMG]
    edd-nor likes this.
  7. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    26th of July:
    Stanici, Croatia -– Duino Aurisina, Italy – 620 km.

I hit the road early. The temperature was pleasant and the traffic light. First I continued north along the coast. Later I turned inland to the mountains to avoid the heat from yesterday and because I wanted to check something out.
    Around noon I arrived at Zeljava Military Airbase. Twinmike (a fellow inmate) had provided me with its location. It was really interesting!
    From there I continued west first through Croatia, then Slovenia and finally I arrived in Italy. I hit a couple of thunderstorms along the way. I was now soaking wet and pretty cold.
    I found a very nice B&B in the coastal village Duino Aurisina. After a long warm shower the host served me really good coffee and a glass of red wine. Later in the evening I borrowed an umbrella and strolled down to the harbor to get some dinner. It’s dark now and the rain has stopped.
    I hope it’ll stay dry tomorrow because I have a plan…

An early start
    [​IMG]

The host an his grand child sent me off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving the coast behind for now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The now abandoned Zeljava Military Airbase. It's in the middle of nowhere on the border between Croatia and Bosnia - you'll never find it without knowing where to look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watch where you go :kboom
    [​IMG]

Back on the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a hot shower at the B&B in Italy
    [​IMG]

Seafood dinner

[​IMG]
    edd-nor likes this.
  8. ReDaLeRt

ReDaLeRt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.

I'm enjoying your RR as I'm also preparing a small adventure of 3000 km to Picos de Europa, in Spain, next August.

Those landmine signs are freaky. :yikes There is any change that are mined zones unsigned?

Keep up! :freaky

[[]]
  9. Wal2

Wal2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice one......enjoying the pics...:lurk
  10. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Great RR + pics!

:thumb

What a beautiful part of the world.

Looking forward to more.

Safe travels,

JM.
  11. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying following your trip with the amazing pictures. I'm from Lithuania, so eastrrn Europe, not south where u are. I've never been down there, so its really cool to be able follow u along.

Safe travels!
  12. El Dudeness

Oddometer:
    How was your experience in the border crossings in Bosnia, Croatia etc.?

I take it, it's easier now that at least Croatia is a member of the EU?

Looking forward to meeting up when you get home.
  13. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    It's always nice to be preparing the next trip :norton

Regarding the land mines you should ask one of the inmates who lives in the area - Gliga comes to mind...
  14. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm glad that you enjoy the pictures as there are a lot of them :D
  15. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'm trying to keep the text part short as updating the RR otherwise would take up too much time. As it is every update still takes me about 2 hours (sorting/editing/uploading pictures and then adding some text). A lot of stuff happens each day that don't make it to this RR - all the little episodes that makes a trip like this really special. I have a lot of stories to tell when I get home.

It really is a beautiful part of Europe. Especially Romania have really impressed me - both the scenery, the roads and the people.
  16. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

I passed through Lithuania back in 2004 when I did a ride anti clockwise around the Baltic Sea. That was the year the Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) joined the EU and I wanted to see the places before they got Europeanizised (I know it's not a real word). I visited Poland on that same trip 10 years ago - and again now on this trip. I lot has happened in the meantime. I guess that the same applies to your country?
  17. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Border guards and custom officers apparently have all the time in the world :puke1

Besides that there are no problems as long as you (as an EU citizen) brings your passport, original papers on your bike and insurance documentation (the green card).

Croatia might be a member of the EU now but they are still not part of the Schengen Agreement so nothing is changed at the border...
  18. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    27th of July:
    Duino Aurisina, Italy –- Nürnberg, Germany – 651 km.

It was drizzling on and off while I had a nice breakfast on the patio of the B&B (very nice place by the way). After an extra cup of coffee it was time to leave. As I turned north the weather clear up. It was a fine day for riding. Before long I was ascending the Alps on small twisty roads heading for Austria. As I entered Austria the roads were crawling with motorcycles. I soon reached my main destination for today: Großglockner Hochalpenstraße.

The southern part (it’s more than just one road) was great fun as the roads were dry and you could see the views. As I passed through the tunnel at Hochtor the world disappeared. I was now riding inside leaking clouds and visibility was often less than 50 meters. I still decided to take the turnoff to Edelweiß-Spitze also known as “Bikers Point”. It’s the highest vantage point in the area. To get there you have to climb a 2 km steep cobbled hairpin road - REALLY interesting on a bike in the rain :p3rry
    Surprisingly I was the only biker around when I got there. The conditions stay the same most of the way as I descended Großglockner Hochalpenstraße but finally I got below the clouds and found dry tarmac. I then passed through Tirol to get to Germany – great riding. I continued a couple of hours in Germany. Early in the evening I stopped for the night at a hotel on the outskirts of Nürnberg.

My bike had company at the B&B
    [​IMG]

I was soon entering the Alps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Großglockner Hochalpenstraße - the southern part
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View north from the tunnel at Hochtor
    [​IMG]

At Bikers Point and a look down the road that took me there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading down Großglockner Hochalpenstraße
    [​IMG]

Finally below the clouds
    [​IMG]

Tirol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Slow down" warning signs for bikers in Austria
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

edd-nor likes this.
  19. El Dudeness

Oddometer:
    Yes....hmmm.....yes indeed original papers would be in order - thank you for highlighting this :D (and reminding me).

Also thank you for a nice RR until now. The text is shorter, but it is more fun to catch live updates when you're on the fly. It brings another dimension into the work.

Have a safe ride the final bit of way. Speak to you soon :clap
  20. losiu

losiu wheelie addict

Oddometer:
    Hey Don T,
    How many kilometers have you covered so far on the trip? Just curious :)