Wanna ride Death Valley with me?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Mar 3, 2015.

1. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    My Featured Reports - Recommended Reading - Start Here

February 2015, Eight days in Death Valley National Park riding the rough trails. My favorite trip for several reasons.
    Death Valley is a truly spectacular place, and I found many opportunities for photos. After being friends online for almost a decade,
    I met larryboy in person for the first time. What fun we had tearing up the trails!

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Wanna Ride the GCBAR with me?
    October 2016, Around the Grand Canyon on the complete Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route with larryboy.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG] ..........[​IMG] ..........[​IMG] ..........[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

WAY UP NORTH - To The Arctic Ocean & Back to Arizona
    June-July 2012, Helen joins me for a 25 day journey of 10,000 miles to Alaska and everything in between.
    Our longest trip yet. We took the scenic route and enjoyed each day to the fullest.

[​IMG] ...........[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    The Complete List - My Contributions to the Insanity:loco 41 Reports and counting!!!

Alone in Four Great Deserts
    April 2018, Eight day alone exploring the 4 Great Deserts of North America.
    [​IMG]........[​IMG]

Alone in the Big Empty - NVBDR +

September 2017, One week alone in the Nevada backcountry, plus several days hanging out with friends at Benton Hot Springs, CA.
    [​IMG]

Twisted Weekend
    May 2017, Five days of riding my favorite California Roads on the Super Tenere.
    [​IMG]..........[​IMG]

Wanna Ride the GCBAR with me?
    October 2016, Around the Grand Canyon on the complete Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route with larryboy.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

The Benton Rock
    September 2016, A Labor Day weekend run on the Super Tenere to Benton Hot Springs to hang out and ride the White Mountains.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Twisted
    June 2016, Eleven days of California Twisty Backroads to the Lost Coast and back. First big tour on the Super Tenere. Mostly solo, but with an appearance by larryboy and another celebrity.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Chasing Thunderbirds & Trampling Wildflowers - Four Days in Death Valley
    March 2016, A 4 day ride on the KTM to see the Superbloom of Death Valley and ride the rough trails.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Alone on the GCBAR - Again

October 2015, Another solo journey to add new tracks and revisit the route of my own creation in the Grand Canyon Backcountry.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Shoulda Known Better - New Mexico Mud
    September 2015, A 3 day ride with KYMike in New Mexico where we find lots of mud.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

February 2015, Eight days in Death Valley National Park riding the rough trails with my friend larryboy.
    [​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Alone in the Eastern Sierras: A Fall Colors Tour
    October, 2014 A solo journey across the deserts to reach the fall colors of the Eastern Sierras.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Questor goes to the 2014 KTM Adventure Rally - Taos NM
    September, 2014 I tag along with my buddy Questor to the 2014 National KTM Rally and co-author this report.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

April Shows a New Buddy a Good Time - California & Oregon With KYMike & dave6253
    June, 2014 10 days worth of riding in scenic California and Oregon with a buddy from Kentucky

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Ride
    September, 2013, 9 days around the Grand Canyon to stunning remote viewpoints alone on the KTM 990

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

April Does It Again - A Scenic SPORT-tour of California & Oregon
    June, 2013, 10 days worth of riding in scenic California and Oregon

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

I Wanna Sleep with You in the Desert Tonight with a Billion Stars All Around
    May-June, 2013, A 2up 5 day trip with Helen to explore Southern Utah and Northern Arizona in a laid back manner.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Alone in the Mojave Desert Again - 2013
    March, 2013, A solo 4 day trip to wander around the desert. Valley of Fire, Mojave National Preserve, etc.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

There's a lot of Color Between Phoenix & Aspen
    October, 2012, A solo 4 day sport-tour to see the fall colors of Arizona, Utah, & COLORado.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

WAY UP NORTH - To The Arctic Ocean & Back to Arizona
    June-July 2012, Helen joins me for a 25 day journey of 10,000 miles to Alaska and everything in between. My longest trip yet.

[​IMG] ...........[​IMG]

A Sunday Ride for a Grand Canyon Sunset
    April 2012, a Sunday day-trip on the Aprilia to watch sunset at the Grand Canyon. My first motorcycle video is included.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Trouble in John's Canyon... Again (AZ-UT Autumn Tour)
    October 2011 Four days of riding to find fall colors on the KTM. Trouble follows me into John's Canyon

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]
  3. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    April Turns Fifty and Gets Viola-ted: Grand Canyon North Rim
    August 2011, Four days of riding the Aprilia back to the North Rim. This time with the well-known RR Author Viola-tor.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

The Best of the Grand Canyon With My Son
    June 2011, Five days and four nights of Grand Canyon backcountry with Matthew. The North Rim, Point Sublime & Toroweap!

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

The Coronado Trail from Phoenix in a Day
    May 2011, One day and 600 miles of Arizona scenery aboard the Aprilia alone.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Alone in the Mojave Desert; Death Valley National Park and Mojave National Preserve
    March 2011, Five days alone in the desert. Sand, Rocks, Wildflowers, a Racetrack, and lots of great tracks. I even get to ride with a real RTW Rider.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Another Sublime Failure
    October 2010, My third failed attempt to make it to Point Sublime is derailed by bike problems in Utah resulting in an abbreviated trip, but not before some good pics...

[​IMG] ...........[​IMG]

All This, and I Never Left Arizona
    September 2010, A solo ride around various spots in Arizona. Rim Country, Petrified Forests, Sycamore Point, Schnebly Hill RD, Perkinsville Road, Four Peaks

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Alone at the Grand Canyon - North Rim, Toroweap...
    June 2010, A solo ride to the North Rim, Toroweap, and Zion National Park on the KTM 990. It snowed... in Arizona... in JUNE!

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Solo to the Chiricahus - Two Up back to PHX
    June 2010, A solo ride from Phoenix, up Mount Graham and to the Chiricahua Mountains of SE AZ. After a few days camping and
    hiking with the family my daughter joins me for the scenic ride home. We visit Tombstone, Bisbee, Montezuma Pass, etc...

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

The Sonoran Desert, My Son's Homework Project
    April 2010, Matthew rides with me on the KTM 990 on his longest motorcycle journey yet. Highlights from our weekend include;
    The Apache Trail, The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park, Pima Air Museum, Skydive Arizona...

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Alone in the Arizona Desert
    March 2010, A 4 day weekend in Western Arizona on the KTM 990. Kofa NWR, Burro Creek, and Wildflowers are the highlights.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

PHX-Hewitt Canyon Road-Desert Scenery
    March 2010, A short scenic desert day ride with waterfalls on the KTM 990.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Dave & Hel Tour California
    July 2009, My wife joins me on an asphalt lap of California. 1 Day KTM, 9 Days Aprilia.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

All the Way Around the Grand Canyon
    June 2009, A solo ride around the Grand Canyon on the KTM 990 including some remote viewpoints on the North Rim.
    My first ride to many of the places later included in the GCBAR (Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route)

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Identity Crisis II, The White Rim Trail, Utah Rocks!
    April 2009, I take the big KTM to conquer the White Rim Trail and some other cool Southern Utah roads.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Southern Arizona Border Roads
    March 2009 and September 2009, I use the KTM to patrol the Mexican Border Roads and some other scenic places like the Chiricahuas.
    Two Ride Reports in one and with special guest appearances.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Box Canyon Road - Just a Short Ride East of Phoenix
    February 2009, In way over my head on a day ride. First technical stuff on my KTM.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Identity Crisis! My Bike Thinks She's a Dualsport
    October 2008, Valley of Gods Road, Burr Trail, and other Southern Utah scenic routes on the Aprilia Futura.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

The Apache Trail, My Son's First Big Ride
    November 2008, An overnight motorcycle camping trip in the desert with my son on the Aprilia.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Images and Words, Scenes from a Memorable Tour
    August 2008, 6115 miles in 10 days! Tons of National Parks in the Western US and Canada. As far north as Jasper, Alberta. My first long tour.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Arizona's Mt Graham and the Coronado Trail
    May 2008, My first Ride Report - A quick overnight trip in preparation for my first big tour.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

The Art of the Ride Report - Planning, Tips, Opinions, Discussion A thread with many great contributors discussing what makes a great Ride Report with lots of tips to help improve our Ride Reporting skills.

Visit my photography site at https://dave6253.smugmug.com/ for more photos. You are welcome to any photo on my site as long as it's not being used for commercial purposes.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    I recognize the Death Valley report. :lol3

And a few others.
    dave6253 likes this.
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not seeing it. Have they removed it or just hidden it from me?
  6. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    It looks like all the stolen pix have been removed.
  7. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    That view of Striped Butte through the Geologist's Cabin is amazing. I think something about the location is a life changing moment. It's difficult to explain, but it's one of those events that as you transition through the experience... you realize you've arrived onto a higher consciousness in life. I've been fortunate to have explored through there a couple times. And it's not just a trip around the block to get there. It's quite a commitment. I honor anyone's efforts to travel across this part of the world. It's an adventure ride that rivals anywhere for mankind, including the Atacama, the Sahara and the Gobi for majestic isolation.
    larryboy, dave6253 and Ladybug like this.
  8. MrGoldfish

MrGoldfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Missed this one when you started this report. Glad I found it now. Great reading your latest adventure. Looking forward to the next one.
    dave6253 likes this.
  9. surfari

surfari Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to put this report together...I've now added D.V. to my list of places to see. Your photos are the some of the best I've ever seen :thumb
    dave6253 likes this.
  10. TFC

TFC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave. I have really enjoyed reading the DV and GC reports. Have you mentioned your bike/luggage setup in one of your reports? I'm curious what your philosophy is when preparing for the off road trips. I've seen the spam pics to know you're not picky :lol3 when it comes to food. I also know you're packing some camera gear, but what about the rest of it? Doesn't appear you're taking the kitchen sink. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
    John
    dave6253 likes this.
  11. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hi @TFC. Thanks!

I guess I haven't shared a packing list since my Alaska RR. My list varies a little with each trip, but is pretty well refined for how I like to travel. I'll try to put something together soon. I always think of doing a pre-trip packing list with a photo of all the gear spread out, but I guess I'm always running short of time during the trip prep. Once I get everything packed, I don't want to empty it all out again. It might be easier to do this mid-trip like when I have some time to kill at an early campsite.

And since you bumped the old report, I'll share a few GIFs I put together this week from this trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave!
    Is it possible to do a video panorama rather than a GIF panorama? What does "GIF" stand for anyway!!?
    jj
  13. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Those Gifs of you and Larryboy riding are awesome!
    dave6253 and larryboy like this.
  14. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Graphics Interchange Format
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    Get In Focus. :lol3
  16. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Girls In Flannel :raabia
    [​IMG]
    just jeff and Te Hopo like this.
  17. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    WOW !!!

Mezmorizing photograhy