Want a Nav Tower/Rally front for your 990 ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rossguzzi, May 6, 2017.

1. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont think there is any comparison to be honest.
    Rade is good, Aurora is EPIC but they are totally different animals.
  2. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In what ways, other than obviously being a tower style cockpit and a more "open" concept both visually and physical?

Looking to change out my garmin montana for a rugged tab style system as well.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    The open tower and clear screen just transforms the bike into something that feels very very different.
    Looks cant be beat either if thats your thing :-)
    I am biased though .....
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. bananu7

bananu7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the last rally I scraped my right fairing (and knocked out an indicator) when attacking a particularly nasty climb. I guess I'll wait until next year when I'll do this symmetrically and then I'll have a legit reason to repair it with the Aurora kit :)
    mountaincadre likes this.
  6. Carpe Iter

Carpe Iter By bikers for bikers

Oddometer:
  7. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    software can be bought, for any android device, BIG problem here is that it is running android 5.1 that is so old as to be prehistoric. If you need what it offers probably a good bit of kit, but way cheaper options out there
    galaxy tab active 2 and a powered ram mount, for a start. And way more rugged options (at a price) juggernaut cases for about any tablet you want
    Steinarsv likes this.
  8. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    I would disagree actually. What makes you think Android 5.1 causes any issues for navigating? Over 1.5 years I did not find an app that would not run on it;-)

Sure, samsung active tab 2 is a good option, but:

A. Ci pad has more than twice the brightness, i.e. much better direct sun readability,

B. using usb connection for charging offroad, let alone in under racing conditions, is really short term - the port will get destroyed sooner rather than later

C. Ci pad is far more rugged.

Rugged cases are generally not a good choice - always problem with mounting/charging/overheating.

Personal preference of course depends on use case. If sb spends most of his time on highway, getting a dedicated device is an overkill and using a smarphone would be a better choice.
  9. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Samsung has pogopins and sits quiet firmly in the RAM mount with pogopins.

Older tablets/versions often get crazy slow because of software updates. If you keep the device offline, the problem goes away. Don't know what kind of updates you would push for this thing.
  10. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    True about the RAM mount .

I would not push any updates for the CI Pad;-). It works as it is. Anyway. The primary task of CI pad is navigating. I suppose you would not care what version of Android Garmin uses in their devices, as long as it works, right?
    keener and mountaincadre like this.
  11. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is a big difference from the big companys tabs. They will push updates for security and so on. And the garmin versions tends to get slow as well i have heard.

But the price for you'r tab is higher than a active tab2 with ram mount? And worse specs, even that won't be a critical point being only used for navigation. I cant se why more rugged than the ram would make a difference, and adding a matte screen protector helps with glare.
  12. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    The price is what it is. As much as I'd like our stuff to be for half the price, there is no chance we can achieve cost savings from mass production like the big brands.

And just to avoid confusion, CI pad is not just another navigation, it works also as tablet/smartphone and electronic roadbook.

And the hardware specs might seem bad and on paper they really are if you compare that to 2019 hi-end smart devices, but as I mentioned, there is a chance you will not find an app you like and cannot run it in ci pad.

But don't get me wrong. I am not saying my stuff is the top of the world. For many it is definately not the best choice. But if you want a large superbright screen with watertight charging on the bike in super tough body and a really good GPS chip, there really are not whole lot of other options.

The cream on top is the programmable remote. Which, by the way, works with just about any android device. And in couple weeks there will be even support for google maps, mapy.cz and sygic
  13. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    P.s. I would recommend to stay away from matt covering glass. As great as it is in killing reflections, it really sucks in direct sun shine - the sun spills over whole screen. That is why CI Pad does not have that
  14. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would agree if using as a nav device only, however if you actually use it as a tablet and to connect to the net the security updates are a necessity.
    My note 4 running on android 6 already wont run many common apps you just get a message saying the app is not compatible with the android version
    Steinarsv likes this.
  15. Carpe Iter

Oddometer:
    Which app causes your concerns, for instance? I really mean this question. As I mentioned, I am using same apps on CI Pad as on my Samsung galaxy A5 with Android 8 with no issues at all (both from performance and any other view)
  16. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would definitely not use mail, message, facebook, banking, google play with card details, basicly anything regarding personal information that I don't want everyone to know on a tablet that is not supported by any kind of security updates.
  17. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe all this tablet talk would be better served in a separate thread?
    Biped likes this.
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    And a picture to keep us on track :-)

[​IMG]
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Awesomeness!!++++
  20. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Got to see this one in person on Monday - its a real credit to the owner with the build quality, how its set up and how well its being looked after. :-)