Want Sommer frame guards

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jimbes, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Sommer KTM frame guards look like a good idea. They cost $69 (I think) but shipping is $40. I know on the other site, some folks where talking about
    getting a larger order together from them. I don't know if it ever happened.
    So, questions - is there another maker of carbon guards that are similar/better than Sommer's? I don't think I want the Al guards from Touratech. I'm not really a "more power" kinda guy, but someday (after I can ride this thing) I may put the Akra's on or some other pipe. I suppose the Sommer airbox cover would be good to add if I do. I'm wondering if there's anything else Sommer makes that I would want someday. Any opinions? I'm not sure if getting a larger order would make shipping any cheaper as we would then have to ship from me to you. Thanks.
  2. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim:

I bought the carbon guards from Sommer. I like the looks and the protection compared with the Touratech aluminum guards. I had to file some "detents" in the Sommer guards (with a round chain saw file) to retain a zip tie better but, other than that, I'm very pleased with the fit and coverage. From Sommer, you might also consider the "sportairbox" cover (as they call it), and maybe a 16T CS sprocket (if you can't get it locally). Here's a pic of the right side frame guard on my bike:

[​IMG]
  3. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Man that bike is clean
  4. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Howdy Greg...it was two days old when I took that pic!
  5. SST

SST Lost again...

Oddometer:
    What is the purpose of the guards? Is it just to keep the paint from rubbing off the frame or is it protection for something else? They do look cool though.

I just bought the Touratech rear brake reservoir guard to protect it from rocks and damage in a fall but did not know the purpose of the frame guards.
  6. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    About the only purpose it to prevent your boots from rubbing the paint off of the frame. The do look pretty clean, though.
  7. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And you can put that "Stomper" grippy stuff on'em to hold on tighter with yer boots in the up-and-downs. Might be good.
  8. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Jim, did you put an order in yet? I might need a few items, I should know today or tomorrow, and my last Sommer shipment cost me 55Euros. OUCH! Cheers, Mack