Want to explore the Sierras but...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by BadluckHäger, Nov 9, 2019.

1. BadluckHäger

BadluckHäger n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Cali riders!

I travel a lot for work and every place I end up at I wanna explore, on two wheels ofc. This time i was thinking the Sierras.

So I’ve been looking for a bike to rent. Did rent one on Riders Share but most bikes in my area seem to be mainly onroad suited.

Any tips on offroad suitable bikes for rent?
    A KTM Adv 1290 for example will be to heavy for the riding i have in mind.

Thanks!!
  2. DualDawg

DualDawg Been here a while

Oddometer:
  3. Motobillb

Motobillb NorCal Fastfar Riders (meetup.com)

Oddometer:
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Check TwistedRoad.com.

They have a wide variety of bikes, including dual sports.

I see a Husky 650 Terra in Los Angeles for $80/day, a few KLR650s for $75/day, and even a Yamaha XT250...at $100/day. Ouch. That's the thing with Twisted Road; the bike owner sets the price. You might find an expensive bike for $80/day, or a cheap dual sport for $100/day. You just have to shop around on there to see what's available. One of the best things about it is that you aren't restricted by business hours. You just go to the owner's house and ride away.

The weather seems to be holding out for high elevation exploration, but sooner or later the snows will close the passes. Right now you can still zig zag the central Sierra. Yosemite isn't very crowded, especially on week days. Maybe go check out the Black Point Fissures on the north shore of Mono Lake. The fall colors on the forest roads between Sonora and Ebbets Passes (they might be nearing their end too). Bodie SP ghost town has some dirt roads leading out the back side.
  5. BadluckHäger

BadluckHäger n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great tips! Im tryin to finish up work asap to beat the snow... great info High Country Herb
  6. fletch123

fletch123 Been here awhile

Oddometer: