Want To Get Out of the Bubble!! (Alabama to Colorado and Beyond…)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MARSSIVPilot, Jul 20, 2020.

1. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi inmates! I mostly lurk and learn from y’all here. Retired Army and still working for the DOD albeit from home these days due to COVID… Going stir crazy to say the least and really want to get out on the open road and back to nature. Before COVID a buddy and I were planning a two week trip from Huntsville Alabama to Colorado and then up towards the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc.… before returning. He’s decided not to go due to COVID (He’s 60 and diabetic) so I’m considering making the trip myself the end of August through early September.

I want to avoid the interstate as much as possible (even totally). Figure 3 days across from Alabama to Colorado, off interstate, no rush, 400 or so miles a day. 8 days to play, camp, and ride once I hit Colorado. Figured I’d head N/NW (towards the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc…).and then 3 days back to Alabama (14 days total)

Planning to camp 2 days (primitive, national parks, etc..) in a row and then a hotel for shower, real food, rinse and repeat.

A few questions on my mind:

Any recommendations on a route/routes (off interstate) from Alabama to Colorado?

Recommended campsites along the way? I’ve used freecampsites.net before with pretty good success, but I’m hoping to find some amazing secluded campsites possibly around lakes and/or with a view once I hit the mountains. Typically the ones only the locals know about! ;) Guess this trip is as much about turning off the news, politics, and all the other BS these days as it is about riding! Oh, I also checked out Tent Space, but thinking most people aren’t currently interested in guests due to concerns over COVID.

Would be traveling late August – early September, in Colorado, Yellowstone, etc... (weather, tourists, animals)?

I understand traveling during COVID is not ideal and I’d need to take all the typical precautions… Mask, wash hands, social distance, etc…

Searched the forums one last time before posting to try and avoid redundant questions and came across this post: https://advrider.com/f/threads/im-grounding-my-1200-gs-due-to-covid.1456242/
    and now it has me reconsidering the trip altogether…

I certainly welcome any opinions, insights, and/or advice!
  2. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Meant to put this under "Americas" - Sorry about that! Can't find a way to move it ? If a moderator can move it that would be great :beer
  3. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 of us here are planning a ride out to Colorado and utah bout the same time you are. Leaving here on 8/28. Plan to be in Durango evening of late evening 8/29. Somewhere along the way we are picking up a 3rd rider out of Wichita Kansas. From Durango head through utah and follow the good weather. Maybe see the north rim of the GC. Time permitting from there head towards the UP of MI. We have 2 weeks to get away from it all here.
    MARSSIVPilot likes this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course it's an evolving situ as to which states want visitors from which other states, etc.. I'm a KS native and many trips to CO over the yrs. I prefer US36 to CO over US24. And further suggest maybe up into WY via Steamboat Sprgs. then west as you please to Wind River range as it's the route less traveled even pre-covid. 8 days won't touch CO as so many choices but do as you can. Early Sept you may catch the fall colors out west but likely a tad early? N NM just below Durango, CO is not too busy and worth a visit too and close to the San Juans in CO.
  5. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear others are still planning to ride/travel! I'm still planning on going, but will likely shift my dates to the left a week or so since I plan on doing quite a bit of camping. Expect it will get pretty darn cold at night at the higher altitudes. Hope you guys have a great trip! I'm going to keep monitoring the whole COVID thing and hope it flattens out a bit with a lot of people beginning to where masks...
  6. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I've read others also prefer US36 over US24. I've been using Kurviger for planning the route/stops - I find it much easier than Garmin BaseCamp. I will simply import the route into BaseCamp once complete. The route Kurviger had me initially going went across US24 to Colorado Springs, but based on your comments and the fact I was planning to go to Steamboat Springs anyway, I adjusted my route to run US36 across. Much appreciated! I mostly want to hit the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone area. Still in my initial route/campsites planning phase, but here's a link in case anyone is bored... https://kurv.gr/2AAvx

Certainly welcome comments about the route/campsites and suggestions on routes and campsites once at Steamboat.:beer
  7. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will have the camping gear with us just Incase. Ideally would prefer a motel but as you said with the whole cv19 thing going on we want to be prepared....be safe!
  8. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may want to keep this link handy, or at least be aware of it. It tells you which states are requiring self-quarantine, after you have been to 'hotspots'. This is defined as " a region with a transmission rate of 10 positive tests for every 100,000 residents on a seven-day rolling average."
    https://news.yahoo.com/states-reopening-many-still-require-215946935.html
    As of July 21, the quarantine rule would affect anyone coming from Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
    I'm sure this will be out of date by the time you leave, but it might be advisable to have access to whatever the current version is.
    I think if you have a PCR test less that 72 hours old, that says you are negative, this is waived. But since test results sometimes take a week to get, this might be useless.
    kantuckid likes this.
  9. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many states have actual check points at border crossings? I know Florida is funneling everyone through a weigh station at the line asking where you are from. Some people from the northern states were asked to go into a different area for a temp check, im guessing they were expected to self quarantine once arriving wherever it was they were going. Wondering if other states were doing the same.
  10. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I had been on the CDC website, but not that particular page. I'll definitely be monitoring it as I approach my departure date.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a daily thing travelwise, my state changed today. Enforcement isn't much here though other than certain cities and rural does whatever their personal compass tells them. I did a hospital procedure yesterday and there of course they know the danger and do it right, you cannot even enter unless you've had a test and been in quarantine, but once you leave you'll see many ignoring realities and of all ages. Rural areas it seems many see no reason to care, sort of like on ADV? Once at home I get that approach but when I leave i get real serious.
    Camping and outdoor activities remain a safe haven.
    An interesting question for you is "are military bases available for travel lodging right now?"
    Have you considered taking in the Ozarks rather than aiming higher from AL? Generally, the area of MO below I70 and the NW quadrant of AR and a bit of same terrain that extends into OK are VG riding. I believe there is much merit as well given the fluidity of this situ to aim at certain place or state or area that provides some off the MC activity. An e.g. if say you like to fish to canoe float an Ozarks stream as they are among the best I've seen, running clear and cold on gravel streambeds. There is that off the saddle world where covid isn't lurking if you like that sort of stuff. Even in busy NP's a short hike of 1/4 to 1/2 K gets you away from most folks and safe to relax.
  12. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I can certainly use military base lodging and campgrounds. May stay at Ft. Carson for a night or two. Checking out the Ozarks right now - Thanks! :beer
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fort Leonard Wood is close to great riding.
    Mountain View is one of several AR small towns used for rides in all directions. How's about Ft Smith?
  14. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heck Yeah - Fort Leonard Wood! Thought they closed that installation.... :jack My route and 2nd campsite are right next to it. COVID permitting I'll plan to spend the night on base instead. Great suggestion/tip - Thank you!!
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you go across OK ,Ft Sill is a good place. The Witchita Mts outside of there are a good place to visit. Then backroads to Trinidad, Co. and onward.
  16. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep - Definitely need to consider Sill as well. Thanks!
  17. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts/comments on US 50 from Wichita to Pueblo?

Considering adjusting my route to arrive at Pueblo, CO and then proceed north to Steamboat Springs the following day. That'll allow for a nice ride through Colorado before proceeding onto the Tetons and Yellowstone. Doesn't appear to add too much time to the trip.
  18. MARSSIVPilot

MARSSIVPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did find some threads on US 50 "America's Loneliest Road..." Most are five or more years old. Having said that, after reading them I'm inclined to stick to US 36...