Wanted: Adv Bike in Thailand or SE Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by jay_leegi, Jan 4, 2011.

1. jay_leegi

jay_leegi home I'll never be

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,

I flying into Bangkok on 1/13/2011 for a 3 month tour of SE Asia and am looking for a bike. Ideally, I'd like to find a klr, dr650 or similar, but am open to any and all bikes that are in the area. Please message me if you have a bike for sale or know someone that does.

Also, any issues buying a bike in Thailand, crossing borders and eventually selling it in Viet Nam. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance, cheers!
  2. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Ok I’ll bite.

Due to the very high import tax Thailand has you are not going to find a KLR or DR650 for cheap ( if at all). As an example Red Baron Motorcycles currently has an 04 DRZ 400s for 245,000 Bhat ( about 8,000 USD).
    http://www.redbaronbkk.com/

Option #2
    Now having said that … the further you get out of Bangkok the better your luck in finding a bike like that. If you are heading to Chiang Mai or Pattaya then you will prob be able to pick up a used grey market Honda 250 Baja or something similar for relatively cheap. Notice that I said grey market. That means someone imported it with questionable paperwork. This will come into play if you want to cross borders or want to register it.

Option #3
    If luck is on your side you can scour Thai visa classifieds and you might be able to find a decent deal. Again its buyer beware but if you use common sense you should be able to spot the scams.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/

Option #4

Do a long term rental. There are tons of rental shops (mostly outside Bangkok) and as long as you are up front with them about what you want to do and where you want to go, things will work out. In fact this will prob be the cheap easy way to do things.

Hope this helps and that Tony and a few others will chime in and fill in any blanks ( or correct any errors).

Give a shout once you get into town.

Canoli
  3. jay_leegi

jay_leegi home I'll never be

Oddometer:
    Canoli-

Thanks for the reply and the info. I'm planning on flying out of viet nam so I'd need to find a bike with somewhat legitimate paperwork, at least legit enough to get me through borders/ checkpoints.

What are the chances of finding a US/ Euro/ Aus registered bike? Is a foreign registered bike easier or more difficult to transfer ownership then a locally registered bike?

I bought an Australian registered bike in Colombia last year and it was a much easier, and cheaper, then buying a locally registered bike. The paper work was a bit more, um, creative, but no issues crossing borders or selling it at the end of the trip. I was hoping for a similar situation out there.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. Cheers!
  4. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    I trust you have done some research about crossing into Vietnam on a motorcycle? It can be done but you must secure the permission from the Vietnamese government IN ADVANCE. You can not just show up at the border and expect to get across. There are a number of travel agents in Vietnam who can obtain the permission letter for you (for a fee of course). I recommend you visit the Golden Triangle Riders site for more information: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/forum.php

Now, as far as taking a vehicle from one country into the next and then leaving it there, that's another can of worms... I've only ever crossed borders with a "temporary import" form from customs which stipulates that the vehicle, registered in another country, is only allowed in the destination country for a specified period of time after which it must exit the country.

There are quite a few guys here in Thailand that ride bikes registered in other countries in on temporary import and then have to do a border run every 6 months to stamp the bike out and then back in to the country.

Failure to do this means you may be subject to fines and the vehicle may be confiscated.

I think this is the reason why all the road trips I see in SE Asia are loops- start in country of origin, ride through 4-5 countries and return to country of origin.

I'm not saying that what you propose can't be done, but I think it will be difficult to impossible for you to legally sell a Thai registered bike in Vietnam, unless of course you just sell it cheap for parts or whatever.

Let us know how it goes!

Happy Trails!

Tony
    [​IMG]
  5. Frankko

Frankko Midnight Rambler

Oddometer:
  6. Ranti

Ranti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your best bet for 3 trouble free riding months might be a KLX250. However, to sell it in Vietnam is like Tony said, almost impossible.