Wanted-alberta Adv Riders

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by tango, Oct 27, 2003.

1. tango

tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys.This is my first post to the forum.Got my Adventure 3 mos
    ago after being inspired by this forum and the HUBB.So far I've been to the Arctic circle,done the Cassiar and the Trunk Road
    from Calgary to Nordegg several times.I'm inspired by some of the pics guys are sending from various parts south ie water crossings,mud,climbs etc...So I'm looking for someone who suffers
    from the same affliction and needs a sidekick(s).I'm not God's gift to offroading and I've got a lot to learn so don't be shy.Anybody want to give it a go - or already indulging?
  2. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
  3. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Greetings Tango & welcome.

Looks like you have been on some great rides with that new bike.

Could you share some info about the trunk road. I've been interested in that ride for a while. A great ride or just ok?
    Pictures?

Thanks
    Manxman
  4. tango

tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your replies.
    configspace I'll follow up on your leads.I hope your wrong about the small group of ADV rider's here.I take it you live in NY now.

Manxman I was actually thinking of contacting you.I noted in a few ride reports that you seem to be doing similar rides to me and solo as I am.I would be very interested in hooking up sometime if timing coincided.In my opinion the trunk road and it's side rides offer an unparralled riding oportunity.Compared to the Demester it is far more accessible,equally beautiful and much more challenging.Both are calcium chloride roads but much of the Trunk road recieves no or little maintainence and also has muddy sections.Likewise the Demester's sharp shale may lacerated tires but thr TR has large gravel which is much more slippery especially if the road is wet.For me the hardest part of the TR is establishing a rhythm.On the Demster it's easy to hold a steady110+kph ,dry,while the TR has much deeper gravel,much steeper climbs and descents with switch backs.Since the sections are shorter and tighter the TR has a broken rhythm ,which for a big bike requires a lot more work and concentration.The side rides are muddy rutted and hard even for full blown dirtbikes but I would have a go if I had someone to back me up.All this applies to the 350 km section between Nordegg and Calgary.The section between Calgary and the border is apparently pretty tame.In the last 6 wks I have been there once a wk and have only met one other bike which was an XL 650 YAM with full knobs.I've been using Trailwings so this undoubtedly contributes to the difficulty level.Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera but I intend to get one and do a trip report on this great area next year.If you come here and fancy some company you know who to contact.
  5. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the Trunk Road. Sounds like a challenge on my Metzelers. Looking forward to doing it.

No problem on getting together and going for a ride. Lets make a plan in the spring.

I'm going to put the GS into hibernation this weekend. Bummer.

Manxman