WANTED: CENTRAL TEXAS ADVers

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Try Pinche Gringo BBQ next time. Mentored by Aaron Franklin
    iwantadv likes this.
  2. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Went ta A Js BBQ in Glen Rose a few times.
    (Linda n Tom Hammonds place) A J was the dad who started the Q biz way back.
    They had taken it over from their daughter who....uh...well...she wasnt cut out for runnin a restaurant. I dont think Linda n Tom were really into this one tho....its closed now....but it was jus like Loco while open
  3. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    Wow, I haven't been to Loco since it first changed hands. Thought maybe they were going through teething pains because everything was kind of sub par ! Sad to see a great BBQ place go to crap ! :dirtdog
  4. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Pinche Gringo ? ? ? :imaposer
    Where is this "Fu@%ing" place ?
    yardracer likes this.
  5. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap ! ! !
    I found it. That place is in the center of Mexico City. That's a bit longer than an afternoon ride to get some good "Q" ! ! ! :eek7
  6. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    OK, well, it does take a bit more commitment than the typical outing.
    yardracer likes this.
  7. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Ummmm......... ya think ? ? ? ? ? :jack
    SkizzMan likes this.
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    For all you riders who pass through Clovis, NM....

OK, I’m one of those people who makes fun of Clovis, NM for its “smell of money”, etc. Never again. Ever.

Left Austin this morning for Overland Expo West in Flagstaff. Had planned to overnight in Ft. Sumner but that all changed when my final drive (I hope it’s just the FD) starting locking up at 80mph just 23 miles from Clovis. No problem getting it stopped safely on the shoulder. A little exciting but no problem. C & D Towing got there in 40 minutes and had the bike strapped down in short order. Locked the bike in their storage with the promise of helping load it for the return home. Then they dropped me at Kings Inn and recommended a steakhouse and beer store. My two food groups. One call to my Biker Bro Warren and my return home is all planned.

I’m very grateful. Anyone needing roadside assistance in the Clovis area call Carlos at C & D Towing (575) 309-6925 canddtowingco.com
    IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
  9. furbo

furbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all!

Todd here, native Texan but haven't lived there since 1988 when I ran off to the Army. Now, 30+yrs later I'm headed to Fort Hood as a fat retiree to work. Been living in Europe most of that time (Italy). So - what's the on & off road scene in that part of the country. Think the Ft Hood tank trails are long closed in the Army's constant campaign to eliminate fun.
  10. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Lots of small back roads, dirt roads, and a few pay to ride parks. That's about it. No real public land to speak of like NM and CO.
  11. vector6

vector6 slipstream

Oddometer:

unfortunate but true. and alot of what used to be dirt roads, is now not.
  12. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with the great back country roads and dirt roads though. Just have to do a little traveling to find good mountain jeep trails, but that's the way it's always been.
    subcomm likes this.
  13. furbo

furbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pay to ride parks...ok what?
  14. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    I don't use them any more but there are several tracks with small trails around DFW and of course Red River at Bulcher. Seems like I remember hearing about one west of Austin (Hidden Falls ?) and I went to one east of Waco (https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/texas_04544/ride_fb21.htm)a couple of years ago.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.......1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0i131.y5KGKijlsts

https://www.google.com/search?ei=l0...i7i30j0i13i30j0i13i5i30j0i8i13i30.ll9ydSf-9fo

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/states/TX
  15. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    EnvironMENTALists shut down us FH dirtriders around '99. Hidden Falls ADV park in Marble Falls is big place to ride. Smaller place near Salado.
  16. grandelatte

grandelatte Consistently Inconsistent Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what happened to your final drive? What caused it? What is it like to have your final drive lock up at 80 mph!:p3rry
  17. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    My bike’s driveshaft has u-joints welded onto the shaft as opposed to splines. The u-joints have sealed bearings (no zerk fittings) and so the tranny end u-joint dries up, overheats and breaks apart around 80k miles. Surely there are riders getting higher miles but not this one. FD bearing is fine. While I’ve sourced a low miles used driveshaft the job will still run ~$650-700 parts and labor. Every three years or so for this rider. And so I’m continuing to search for a better solution. At least u-joints with zerks. There’s not sufficient room for the fittings so the holes must be closed with bolts to be removed to accept the zerks for servicing then resealed with bolts. Yeh, I know.

So, what was it like?? Instant heavy shuddering then hard bucking with no warning. Fortunately I had the highway to myself and made the right hand shoulder. Not too bad, in retrospect. I suspect that the bike’s mass and excellent suspension helped me a lot.
    grandelatte likes this.
  18. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    There are some greasable u joints that have the zerk located in one of the bearing caps. You may still hafta use a plug for running & install the zerk for greasing only
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Thanks amigo. I’ll be reaching out to various shops to see what can be built. Will report back here if I have any success.
  20. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    I really loved my ol' 1150GSA. Had a FD failure at 65K miles. I would still be riding a BMW if they hadn't shrunk them with the water boxer. My KTM 1290 SA-T is a great bike, doesn't ride anywhere close to as nice as my 04 BMW. The KTM is chain drive and I carry a spare chain in my pannier, something I couldn't do with a BMW FD.