WANTED: CENTRAL TEXAS ADVers

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    Waco is a large country town. Don't know exactly where you lived before but compared to most larger cities, traffic is light to moderate. You can still live in the country and commute to work in under 30 minutes. As with any city there are great locations to live within the city limits. There is one lake within the city limits, Lake Waco and two within 45 minutes, Lake Whitney and Lake Belton. So summer water sports are easy to get to !
  2. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Okay guys, I'm back on the bike now. The kids are older and less of a handful and my work situation has changed to give me more free time. I just got a new TKC 80 mounted up on the front of the GS and I'm looking forward to getting back out and about. Probably more out and about after this Corona bidness is over but out and about none-the-less.

What's the lowdown on rear tires these days for pure dirt performance? Is it still the TKC-80 or Shinko 805 rear? The Bridgestone AX41 looks good but the tread depth seems like it'd be marginal in loose stuff. The Tractionator RallZ seems good but the stiff sidewalls means changing them by hand will be a pain so I've ruled those out for the most part. I like to be able to put a tube in mid-ride if needed. I have a second rear wheel coming for the big Panzer so mileage on the dirt setup is mostly irrelevant. I want to emphasize better traction in sand and loose crap.
    Mudclod and 2old2Bbold like this.
  3. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    I always ran Big Blocks. Gonna try these next.

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg
    grandelatte likes this.
  4. veriest1

Oddometer:
    I'll have to revisit the Big Blocks. I ruled them out years ago but was never running anything knobbly on the back and don't remember why I'm averse to them.

That Dunlop says it's 50/50 and if it is then I'm more interested in 40/60 or more with the bias going towards dirt.
  5. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Larry.... Metz has the Karoo 3 for the front... I had one on my last 650 Strom & liked it. They also have the Karoo ST for the rear.....mabe more mileage??

MrgreenGenes has a Metz Karoo 3 for sale with almost no use (it looks pretty new to me). Only $75 so someone could try an Anakee Wild for cheap $$
    Jarrett had it mounted on the VFR for mabe 700 miles before Gene bought the bike & removed it. He likes a 90/10 tire on the Strom & VFRX
    veriest1 likes this.
  6. veriest1

Oddometer:
    Mud, how stiff are the sidewalls on the Big Blocks?

The Kenda seems like it may be an excellent rear tire choice. Users report more side to side stability than the TKC-80 or the Shinko 805 tires.

And it's only a few bucks more.
  7. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Well it wasn't much fun to mount it that tells you anything.:lol3 On the street I noticed very little flex. Off road, hard to say with such a heavy bike.
  8. veriest1

Oddometer:
    That does tell me something. lol

The only knobby rear I’ve mounted on big bikes have been a TKC and it wasn’t bad. I’m starting to think a lot of these newer, off-road oriented, tires have stiff sidewalls.

You’ve had the Triumph for a minute now. How are you liking it compared to your old ‘Strom?
  9. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Well there's no comparison. Triumph way more fun in dirt. Not so much on the street. Strom really just a street bike. Even on gravel it felt HUGE. I sure want a T7! I remember you had an older GS. Same bike or something newer now?
  10. veriest1

Oddometer:
    I’m still on the old GS. I don’t see myself parting with it. Other bikes come and go but I like the big German Tank.
    Dahveed likes this.
  11. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Me and Dirtryder tore up Falls county last week. Both weapons were excellent choices.

2020-03-26 11-42-18.jpg

2020-03-26 13-22-58.jpg

2020-03-26 11-49-51.jpg

2020-03-26 11-43-44.jpg

2020-03-26 11-47-00.jpg

67AA5D1F-212D-4E6C-AEE1-A22D8724F5BE.jpg
    grandelatte and veriest1 like this.
  12. veriest1

Oddometer:
    I saw you pictures on the Fakebook. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
  13. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    I run the TKC 80 on the front and the Tractionator Adventure on the back of my 1090R. The Tractionator wasn't that hard to mount and I'm getting really good mileage out of it. It does everything really well. I'll run it again !
    veriest1 likes this.
  14. veriest1

Oddometer:
    How is it in sand and mud? It looks more street oriented than what I'm after for the second rear wheel.
  15. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    It did just fine on dry loose sand of South Padre Island beach ! It is a lot quieter than a TKC80 rear and I get 3 times the mileage out of it compared to a TKC80.
  16. veriest1

Oddometer:
    That’s a pretty good endorsement!
  17. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    New to the general area and located in North Austin. Looking for some dirt/gravel options.
    postoak2112 likes this.
  18. postoak2112

postoak2112 Javalina

Oddometer:
    old to Austin but new to GS! i wanna know too! i hear there's some riding down off City Park Road but don't know if that's BMX
  19. bigdave-gs

Oddometer:
    Most of Travis and Williams counties are paved. Head north ! Coryell, Bosque and Hamilton Counties still have a lot of dirt County Roads. PM Mudclod, he heads out on some dang good dirt at times. I do too, but I have a lot of land and cattle to take care of so my weekends are pretty full. I get in a blast around usually on Sunday evenings ! :baldy:dirtdog
    Dahveed and postoak2112 like this.
  20. Paladin53

Paladin53 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Emma Long Park, on City Park Road in Austin, is for bonafide dirt bikes, trials bikes, and mountain bikes.
    Unless you are a double aught badass, it won't be fun on a GS.
    thewbee and Dahveed like this.