WANTED: CENTRAL TEXAS ADVers

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I am really curious about the Heidenau K60. It seems to have some great wear characteristics and good offroad manners. Seem to be in short supply due to a manufacturer change though. Might ruin it:lol3
  2. Burbo

Burbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well guys I gotta wade in on this new tire thread we got going here. I know Slowoldguy wasn't impressed with the Shinko 705's. However I abused a rear 705 for 3450 miles and would have logged another 250 miles had I not picked up a nail. I bought several when they could be had for about $50. For that price I would buy 6 tomorrow. Definitely cheaper than any other route I have seen. They hold well on dry, wet, and fantastic on gravel. At a little more than $.01 per mile compared to almost $.05 mile on virtually any other tire. I will keep running them until K60's are $100. (Forever?):D
  3. RLCanon

RLCanon Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer:
    What bike was that on?
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I can barely get 2500 miles out of my Metzler Karoo Ts on my F800GS! My rear is totally destroyed I will have to mount a new one before the weekend.

I WILL be out this weekend most likely Saturday. Who wants to ride where? I've got a bunch of cool roads north west of the metroplex but I would like to explore south a bit more.
  5. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Burbo, I like the tire (the 705's) I just didn't get squat for wear. Now I'll buy one of your spares from you 'cuz my front is doing fine and I can't find a rear. That is, if you'll let go of one. ;)
  6. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    I wish the K60s were a $100:lol3 doubt we will see that unless the dollar really puts a climb on the Euro:deal
  7. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Which shinko's did he pull? the 705s or the 244s. I was looking at the 244s. More like a 50/50 tire. A copy of the IRC GP-1s and the Kenda 277 (i think). Everything is a trade off with tires. You want grippy, but that frequently comes at the expense of durability. Good off-road performance (especially mud/sand) means knobbies and that usually means a shorter life on the road. Nice road performance usually means poor off-road performance.

Better a tire you love that wears somewhat quickly than a tire you hate that lasts forever...
  8. Burbo

Burbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Slowoldguy, I was playing on my last one Sunday. Let see that was 265 miles so I have about 3400 left before I need another. Sorry I don't have any left. If you see any out there in cyberspace for a decent price, please let me know.
  9. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Dahveed, I am not sure which ones they were but I remember they had alot of cracks like they were strarting to dry rot.He said he had them on for 9 months but they had not been ridden very much:norton
  10. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Just for the record, I rode to work today. It was a bit chilly at 23 degrees. Who else rode today?:freaky
  11. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Doin my dog sittin gig for the next couple so kinda nailed down without much of a chance to venture too far.....& since I generally do my internet sales work out of my living room.....well....probably not me.
  12. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I rode! My computer was flashing 23.5 degrees at me. At lunch I went home and installed my chin shield in the helmet to keep some of that air out of my helmet. I knew there was some reason I grew this beard... lol
  13. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    I trimmed mine for a board meeting today. But was wishing I had it longer. Lost my baclava at TWT pie run in Hico last year.
  14. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I thought about riding. Does that count?
  15. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I bought a Turtlefur Shellaclava recently and it might have been the best $20 I have spent for keeping warm on the bike. Its thin on top, but is double thick turtlefur on the chin and neck. Reduces the cold air and noise.

If you replace your baclava, you might want to look at this item.
  16. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Who wants to ride on Jan 1? Seems like a nice dual sport ride would be a great way to start the year. Lets figure out who wants to ride and then lets figure out where from that.

We'll just assume the weather will be good then...
  17. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Turtlefur Shellaclava:huh say that 3 times fast:lol3 did not know turtle have fur. Where did you get and what does it look like? AS JAn 1 ride, I traditionally go to my mom and dads for lunch.Shall I ask her to set some more places:evil
  18. RLCanon

RLCanon Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer:
    I have high hopes of prying my bike out of the dealer's hands this afternoon. I plan on either doing something like this ride or exploring some of the dirt roads north of Ft. Hood. I'm in the process of negotiating with the spousal unit concerning whether to schedule for Saturday or Sunday.:lol3

BTW, baclava (or baklava):
    [​IMG]

and a balaclava:
    [​IMG]

I believe I'll eat baklava in my balaclava, bitches!:lol3
  19. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

That could get really messy fast!!
  20. Red Leader

Red Leader It's The Wide Open Spaces

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in fixin to get ready to start thinkin about considering a January 1, 2010 ride.