Wanted - GPS route/tracks for mexico to canada

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by cammyontheback, Aug 19, 2007.

1. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Starting at Tecate, if possible, then north. CA, NV, OR, ID, MT, ?
    Assume mostly dirt.
    If someone can suggest a source, or share/provide a proven solution, even in reverse, thanks in advance.

Mark
  2. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jerry Counts does an organized ride in 2 parts
    http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/ridingevents.php
    this shows part 2. part 1 is in May, I believe.

http://www.smts.info/
    This is also Counts stuff
    and below are some continental divide tracks
  3. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    xx
  4. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:

Thanks alot.
    The SMTS stuff may help.
    I'm aware of Jerry Counts 2 part ride. I just can't pony up the 2+ grand for the support. I offered to buy the route, sans support, from him about a year ago and didn't even get an answer.
    So many must have done some version of this trip, in the west, by now that there must be a GPS track file somewhere that's available.

Continental divide route will come later.

Thanks again,
    Mark
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I didn't answer you but we only take riders. I do give away the SMTS stuff. See Touratech for CD of them riding it or great write up in August Road Runner magazine. The fee covers support, motels, transport of bike home, bus to airport ,and 10 YEARS OF SCOUTING THE ROUTE. Search for "Pacific Crest Quest" for another free one. I am now working on a true Continental Divide ride that actually follows the divide as close as possible (not for adventure bikes)
    Just finished part 2 of Mex2Can Friday. 17 very happy customers plus one seperated shoulder.
  6. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just so he doesn't put you off too much, I think some of Countdown's routes are on OK'd private property, not generally or ever open. One section is 100 miles...across one ranch...therefore a problem. Several sections would be 200+ miles without gas. His routes are also something that you would want to buddy or preferably triple up on. Usually a LONG way from pavement, and a longer way from help. About 50% of his riders have 2-3T shirts stuffed in their pants for padding by the time they hit Canada.

Gill didn't crash again...???!!!
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No trouble but did take a new Adventure bike bypass around the 100 miles of rocks through the private ranch where he broke ribs last year.

Because of the only motel in town burning down Dave and I had to make two trips to Oregon to plot and check a new route to the next closest town. Cost us sever hundred $ plus several days of our time that also must be paid for.
  8. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After you spend 2 weeks stumbling around wasting a lot of time when you do not have the time, being lost, looking for gas, looking for a motel, Then you realize that the fees charged for good information are worth every penny. JMO !!!:freaky
  9. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    I miss the rocks....and I know Jerry can and will include them! I'm sorry Gil missed 100 miles of lava watermellons and softballs kicked everywhere by 1MM cattle. But then he did this section last year and received two broken ribs. I only need to do that once in my lifetime also! (Private property)

The only place worse was someplace near Barstow. They ran a qualifier through it in the early 70's and about lost everyone. It seemed endless on minimal trail. I really wanted to forget that place....and I have.
  10. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the info and feedback.
    I totally respect and appreciate Jerry's Mex2Can program.
    I've ridden some of Jerry's other events and they were great.
    I have wanted to sign up for the trip for three years. I even went to Fallon last yeat to see them off. Pretty exciting.
    I just can't justify spending the money on something that's just for me right now.
    Maybe in the future
    Mark
  11. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    Maybe ask in sections. Are you going to have other riders? Adventure bike or Enduro (EXC). That would help pick some routes for you. Since you have been in Calif and Nevada, maybe you can get yourself to Denio, Nevada, and what you are looking for is from there North. I have seen a few routes shared from Denio North, into the Steens. The Lo-Lo trail from Oregon through Idaho, and Northern Idaho/Montana. Put some of those together and you will be good to go.
  12. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Riding a fully modified DR650.
    I will dig out the maps and GPS/Mapsource to start looking at the suggestions. Haven't got a riding buddy yet, or a time table, but will get it done sooner or later.
    Thanks for the input.
    Mark
  13. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    Gotta love the wide seat on a ride like this.

I expect that you will be going thru Gerlach to Denio. You can make this a day ride by going across Black Rock on the west side and then going west on some of the BLM Wilderness access roads. MApsource will show you a nice loop off of Soldier Meadows Road west near the end of the "desert." You can then pick up a road north and then back east to Soldier meadows. This is a two track loop that will keep you sharp at a 24mph average..without adventure bike packing. You gotta be comfortable on rocks. From Soldier Meadows you can make your way up to Onion reservoir (watch for snow) and down into Denio. This route will take lots of Gas. I would guess all of 300miles. Normally directly from Gerlach to Denio direct on Soldier Meadows road, or the Applegate Wagon Trail is around 200 - 250 miles depending on the route and weather. We have run out of gas here many times, and unless you stay on Soldier Meadows Road is not a place to be alone. Ranches with any kind of help are 50+ miles apart.

A less challenging, but long day ride can be started near Reno/Fernley/Nixon with lunch in Gerlach, and overnight in Denio. For many years that round trip has been a 500 mile weekend ride. In well over 40 loops in that area, I have never come across another riding group. Outside from the main dirt county road. You are really on your own resources and not a place to be without the buddy system. Most of our routes are NOT adventure bike, nor B rider friendly....mainly due to distance, and the need for continuous concentration on riding.

By reading others' adventure rides you should be able to select some route sections that you feel comfortable with. Showing us what you have picked from those would give us some idea how to send you through Northern Nevada.

I was on last years ride from Gerlach to Canada. The punishment came from long mileage, 7 days, and constant concentration. Not necessarily tough terrain. 2/3 of the bikes and riders didn't make it all the way. None of us were carrying overnight gear. That was supported by two-three parts/ambulance trucks.
    If Jerry is making money, it is about $.10/hr....or below poverty. The Gov. is not willing to work for that, so they are shutting down the routes and trails instead.

When you get some stuff together, and need some suggestions in Nor Nev. We should be able to fix you up.
  14. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million for the suggestions. I'm going to start laying it out so I have a good view of the bigger picture. I have a BLM office right here so off to get some maps. I don't want to get involve in any private land encroachments!
    I'm sure some conditioning will be in order, but the concentration should not be an issue. It's a mission mentality for me.
    Bike is capable.
    Wen the time comes the weather will have more to do with how challenging the trip is overall. IMHO. Will need a good weather window.

Thanks again,
    Mark
  15. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260898
    Check this ride report to get from Denio to the Steens and North. You can go east and pick up the Lo Lo trail into Montana and then North. Search Lo Lo trail and I have seen lots of tracks posted in the North west portion of Montana. As you will see in this ride report. This is BIGGGG Country! Buddy system!
  16. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with these comments. Jerry makes a lot of his GPS routes available to everyone for free. I can't imagine that he even covers his route-making travel expenses from his "fee" rides, given all the research and scouting/pre-running he has to do to create a good route.

I’ve got a very unique, technically challenging, 1100 mile, 95% dirt, route from Mexico to Bishop, Calif (about 1/3 of the way to Canada). It’s all captured in a Dakar Rally style roadbook (88ft long roll). The American and Canadian moto guys going to Dakar this year will be using it for training soon. That thing took me literally hundreds of hours to create, and a lot of money to pre-run. Though creating a professional printed roadbook is a lot more work that recording the route on a GPS, it’s still a ton of work to properly plan overnight camp locations and gas stops, avoid BLM closed areas, and work around locked gates and other unexpected blockages. There are lots of “roads” shown in map programs and paper maps that are impassable, or nearly so, due to things like old washed out bridges, or they have just disappeared because nobody has used them for 40 years and Mother Nature has reclaimed them. And you might not know that until you’ve come a long way down a good dirt road, and have to backtrack and find a way around, on the spot. This isn’t the kind of thing you want to do without a buddy or two coming along, and a large gas reserve.

Mark, it’s good that you were looking for an already proven route. But as you see, other than the few sources already posted, it’s hard to find what you want (mostly dirt roads) at the price you’re looking for. You’re in for quite a challenging task if you’re going to plan it all yourself, and stick to the “mostly dirt” goal. Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well put Scott.

The Pacific Crest Quest guys did a fantastic job laying out a Mexico to Canada route in only one year but they had several guys working on sections and I think it used a lot of county roads where as my route south of oregon uses as much off highway routes as possible.
  18. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:

Sounds like I should just suck it up and pay for a Countdown slot, or blow it off.

Thanks,
    Mark
  19. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    Naw, Countdown is just a good option. Something to be said for being on your own schedule and seeing what you want to see. Careful now yahear?.
  20. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    If you don't have a lot of spare time to work it all out, and you don't like big risks, then maybe yes, take the easier way. If you have spare time, you like the challenge of being told it's too hard, and you like risk, then blaze your own trail, be a really hardcore Adventure Rider, do it all on your own!