Wanted - GPS route/tracks for mexico to canada

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by cammyontheback, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is another reason to use a route developed by some one else. I may scout 3 or 4 parallel routes to find the "best" one. Like I mentioned above, I just had to do that in Oregon (a one day drive to and from just ot do it). It is easy to plan a route on your computer and then go do it with some minor detours but to find a route that has as much of the type of route you are looking for as possible takes at least four days of scouting for each day of usable route especially if you make and check roll charts for it.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I've had pretty good success "scouting" with Google Earth (GE) in 3D terrain mode. In those areas where the resolution is good, you can see almost everything except the road/trail surface condition (can't tell the difference between big rocks and smooth graded). But you can definitely get the lay of the land and see the surroundings pretty well. One problem is that can spoil the ride a bit because when you actually ride it you'll feel you've already been there. The other down side to GE is that I've been tricked into thinking a road is good, when in fact it's the worst washed out boulder path I've ever seen. But for someone who can't get out and scout a lot, GE is the next best thing.

I use GE a lot to plan routes and to do much of the work writing the roadbooks. In GE I mark every waypoint with a "placemark", including text comments, headings, and GE calculated mileages between each point. After a lot of manipulation, that turns into a roadbook (sample page). Note the drawing are all done based on the view seen in GE. Once I complete a preliminary roadbook, we go out and pre-run it to be sure all is ok. Usually the roadbook covers areas I've never actually been to. Of course the pre-running is when we find any closure and road condition problems, and mistakes I made in the roadbook. I then take the quick notes made from the problem areas and fix the roadbook. Then it's ready for the Dakar guys to use for training. It all seems a bit backwards to write the roadbook before actually riding the routes, but it works well for me, and the Dakar guys seem to like the routes. Making a route from Mexico to Canada using this technique would be monumental multi-year task though!
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    On typical Dual Sport rides we use simple 2 1/4" Roll Charts. I offer several FREE roll charts on SneakersMC,com and Jawbone.org.

An example is at http://www.jawbone.org/ElPasoLoop.PDF

This chart is printable on 8.5x11 paper, then cut into columns and tape columns together.
  4. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great. The benefit to the roll chart is that...If you get lost off the chart, then the adventure REALLY BEGINS! Kind of like when the GPS goes blank.
    Good to have both....or 2 GPS...or a map!

2 guys got lost on a roll chart for a day. They never talked to each other the rest of the trip...... :norton
  5. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    The wide roadbooks are used in rally racing, such as Dakar. A BIG part of Dakar is being able to follow the roadbook correctly. You're not allowed to use a GPS in Dakar, except the one the race organization provides, which tells you nothing except your heading and speed (no map or coordinates). The wide roadbooks I've been making are specifically for training for Dakar. They are not really of much value if a GPS route can be used, unless you want to get a feel for what it's like to navigate and race in Dakar. If you want that kind of hardcore experience, in a route that covers 1/3 of the distance between Mexico and Canada, then you’ll want to check out DVR (link). Otherwise, use a GPS and maps on your own or with a Counts type organized ride.
  6. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the DVR link! Beautiful pictures!
    I had hoped to ride in this years NRE but it's not to be this year.
    Going to learn more about roadbooks! I'm kind of a navigation nut! (When riding DS events I'm always amazed at how many errors there are in the roll charts. Or maybe I should say the discrepencies between the roll charts and the GPS tracks that are provided)
    Very cool!
    Thanks a million. Very inspiring to get out and ride dunes!
    Mark
  7. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Mark, if you want to try a bit of the wide roadbook type navigation, NRE is a good fun event. I haven't been to it yet, but everyone I talk to that has gone said it was a lot of fun. DVR on the other hand is not setup to be fun, though most do enjoy it. This year I think it's going to be a bit brutal. Here's a great video that has a lot of footage from DVR 2005 in the Death Valley/Dumont area, including some fun comments about the roadbooks and navigation: (Dakar Dreams).
  8. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    Loved it!
    Thanks,
    Mark
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who's rides? I rode my own 325 mile Mammoth Adventure Bike ride this weekend and only found one error in roll chart. Most riders make several wrong turns. Either way, with GPS you find out quick and correct direction.
  10. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    My usual problem with roll charts is that I turn too soon, or get to one of those well riden places where there are 6 trails converging within 100 feet....Not lost, but it does take you a few miles to hopefully figure out that "This is the wrong way." (The Oakland MC ride is confusing in places close to campgrounds) Jerry is real good about offering both! (Chart and GPS) I'm hooked! Nothing worse than going backward on a trail...usually you are not the only one "lost"
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try to point out to customers that my roll charts have three or four pieces of information for each turn.

1st; the mileage to the closest 0.05 Mi. You need a mecanical, Honda electric or ICO to get resolution. Electric odos that only read 1/10s are marginal.

2nd; the intersection as viewed from above should agree with printed arrow.

3rd; a description of the route should agree Trail, Jeep Road (2 tracks), Dirt road (rough wide track), graded road, paved road, or highway.

4th; any other visibal thing like street sign, BLM or USFS route sign, big rock, big tree, etc.
  12. ISDTBower

Oddometer:
    4th; any other visibal thing like street sign, BLM or USFS route sign, big rock, big tree, etc.

This is a BIG PLUS for the route chart. Also: WARNINGS! Points of Interest! GAS NOW! LUNCH! BAILOUT! Timeing, etc.

Our roll charts don't seem big enough for all this however. We go by a lot of stuff that the history is not pointed out. I'll bet this will be one of the next adders to GPS. Maybe there are waypoint notes already?????
  13. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Tripy will be used by many of the assistance vehicles in Dakar this coming year.

[​IMG]
  14. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    I think there are a lot of who just do not "do" organised adventures, feeling that is an oxymoron, but would be willing to pay $$$ for well researched routes, as in the TAT.

15. sjtraina

sjtraina n00b

Oddometer:
    Koa to Mikes 2 weeks ago
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently only one vendor agrees with your opinion and no other Adv riders have said they would pay. Perhaps you should go into the business?
  17. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    I don't get that, unless you mean the TAT....I understand there is a trust issue, that people would hand off your tracks of course. Have gathered most of a route myself, although probably not as consistently "off the beaten track".