1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Wanted: Mexicali - San Felipe

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by crashmaster, Aug 23, 2008.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Via Laguna Salada. Baja Almanac shows a road that starts west of Mexicali then goes half way to San Felipe and hits Mex 5, however hi-res Google Earth images do not concur that this road actually exists.

Anyone run this before and pehaps have some tracks?
  2. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The road is there. It goes down the valley and you can keep going south until yuou hit the Borrego Junction just north of the Diablo lake bed. then you can run the highway back to San Felipe or take Three Poles or go across the lake bed and take zoo road in through the trash pit. the road was in the BAja 1000 back in the 90's.
  3. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I was never able to get through the gate at Borrego.

Here's what I have...

Attached Files:

4. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does this route go past all the water wells in the valley?
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    No routes, it's tracklogs. One goes to La Ventana, the other over El Mano Pass. My attempt to make Borrego Jct as recently as last year ended up in a locked gate, right at the base of the mountains, about a mile west of the entry into Laguna Diablo.

:dunno
  6. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bruce. The old entrance to Diablo at San Matias has a locked gate as well now. The old route from El Rayo to Trinidad has locked gates also. Locked gates have been springing up all over the place in the north in the last couple of years from Tecate to Ojos to Trinindad. It seems that the Ejidos have had quite enough of dirt bikes. Cant say that I blame them, I have see huge groups of riders in there, some of them being outright jackasses running by ranchos and livestock at race speeds. I've seen guys open a gate, ride on though and not bother to close it again. Can only imagine what a PITA it is to round up loose livestock after that. Its unfortunate.
  7. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Anyone run this track lately??? Been about a year since I went through there and was wondering if there are locked gates there as well now.

Attached Files:

8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I rode it with Gaspipe a couple years ago when we rode out to the highway near La Ventana. The turnoff south from Hwy 2 is super obvious and hard to miss if you're looking. If you start riding up into the mountains, you missed it.

Where you turn ESE towards Hwy 5 is not obvious and we spent a bit of time inquiring and searching for the correct route (note the black out-and-back spur off Gaspipe's attached route). You'd think it would be hard to get lost on a flat dry lakebed but telling which set of tracks are the correct ones can sometimes be a bit confusing.

Watch out for the silt filled ruts for a couple of miles off Hwy 5. Bit one of our riders and came close to taking out me as well.

I highly recommend this route. It definitely gives you that "out there" feeling.
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jonz, good stuff.
  10. Estrada

Estrada n00b

Oddometer:
    A little late. It took me a long time to sign in
    This one is fro the Mexicali to San Felipe 07 CODE race. I've gt another one with 2 routes west fo La Ventana but isa google earth file, need to convert it to gpx.
  11. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks!