Wanted: One or more tyrants to run B.Y.O.B. '11

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Bueller, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Been good but overworked Jeff.

I know you have been to Jumonville cross, right?

Just up the road is the site of Geo Washington's first battle against those damn pesky french. 1754 Jumonville glenn

He may never have been to little Washington but he was damn close.

Jumonville Glenn

A few days after the incident, this is how George Washington described his first experience under fire. The shots at Jumonville Glen were the first in the Fort Necessity campaign, ultimately leading the world to war. But the story of Jumonville Glen has the intrigue of a mystery thriller and contains controversy and unanswered questions.

George Washington had been sent to the Ohio country as a British emissary in the winter of 1753-54 to tell the French, who had been building forts in the area, to leave. French officers politely told Washington they were not obliged to obey his summons, and they were going to stay.

Washington returned to Virginia and informed Governor Robert Dinwiddie that the French refused to leave. The governor immediately assembled a force of men to go to the Ohio River and construct a fort. Washington, as the lieutenant colonel of the Virginia Regiment, was to gather men and supplies and build a road to the forks, reinforcing the men who were there.

PRELUDE

By late May, Washington had reached a large natural clearing known as the Great Meadows. He made this his base camp. Grass there could provide food for his animals, and water was readily available.

Soon after he arrived, he received word that a party of French soldiers was camped in a ravine not far from his position. On the stormy night of May 27th, 1754, Washington and about 40 men began an all night march to confront the French and learn their intentions. They traveled through woods so dark the men sometimes spent nearly half and hour just trying to find the trail. THE SKIRMISH

About dawn, Washington met with a friendly Seneca chief, Half King, and made plans to contact the French Camp. As the French commander had not posted sentries, Washington and his men easily surrounded the unsuspecting French.

A shot was fired, no one really knows by whom, and soon the peaceful glen was filled with the crash of musketry and the sulphurous smell of powder. The skirmish lasted about 15 minutes. When it was over, 10 Frenchmen were dead and 21 captured. One escaped and made his way back to Fort Duquesne at the forks of the Ohio. Washington's casualties were one man killed and two or three wounded.

Washington now knew he was discovered. He sent his prisoners to Williamsburg while he returned to the Great Meadows. There he started construction of a small fortification to protect from probable attack. About five weeks later the attack came. A larger force of French and Indians attacked Washington's force of 400 at his "Fort of Necessity."

Controversy surrounds the events that took place at Jumonville Glen, named after the leader of the French detachment, who was killed there.

Soon after the smoke had cleared, French survivors claimed they had been attacked without cause by Washington. They claimed they were on the same sort of mission Washington himself had been on the winter before. That explained, they said, why they had been so easily surprised and why they had not posted sentries. Washington asked why, if the French were on a diplomatic mission, they were hidden in a ravine, off the trail, and present in the area for perhaps a couple of days without approaching him. AFTERMATH

The skirmish at Jumonville returned to haunt Washington sooner than he thought. After an all day battle at Fort Necessity on July 3rd, Washington surrendered his command to the French. That night he signed a multi-part document, one clause of which stated that he was guilty of the assassination of a French officer, Jumonville. Washington denied this. He said the translation he had been given was not "assassination", but "death of" or "killing." In any event, the French used this propaganda to great advantage in efforts to discredit the English.

British statesman Horace Walpole wrote in later years, "The volley fired by a young Virginian in the backwoods of America set the world on fire." The outcome of the volley, the French and Indian War, would have great impact on global affairs. France lost most of her influence in North America, while English colonies in America began to pay taxes levied upon them to help pay for what had been an expensive war. Some people began to dream of independence.
  2. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the history lesson GSW, I'm a history junkie and can't get enough of that stuff. It's that level of detail you don't always get reading about entire campaigns, etc.

I've spent a lot of time in that part of PA following the National Road, and exploring some of the colonial history of the area. There's no shortage of things to keep your attention, like the submerged bridge at Great Crossings that will occasionally show itself in times of low water. The location ties in with Washington's mission to parley with the French.

http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/19990107bridge3.asp
  3. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    To get back on track, which one of you slacker, miscreant, ne'er-do-wells volunteered to organize BYOB 2011? :lol3
  4. gsweave

Oddometer:

The miscreant slacking ne'er do well that you seek would be me.

How may I serve you?
  5. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh Boy.. is that a loaded question :wink:
  6. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Hang on, let me get my list :lol3

Congrats, thanks for volunteering, and let me know if I can help........
  7. gsweave

Oddometer:

Wanna set up the Dinner for Saturday night?:D
  8. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Sure, do we know where we're going yet?
  9. gsweave

Oddometer:

hell no... your job is to just make sure that smoked brisket is available:evil

try to keep it at 1.39 a plate:deal

I will worry bout the where's and when's
  10. gsweave

Oddometer:
    Jeff B.

I have learned the George Washington did in fact visit the Town bearing his name.

You won't find it in any history book but a certain book possibly connected to Masonic lodge # 164 in Washington, does in fact document his attendance at one of the first meetings of same.

He would have stayed at the Bradford House,http://www.bradfordhouse.org/

Not the LaMoyne house. Like most would first think.
    http://www.wchspa.org/html/house.htm
  11. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Just imagine how much stuff never makes the history books. FWIW I fabricated all the copper flashings,spouts,box gutters, and such on the Bradford house. Had to be at least 20yrs ago. I wonder how many folks that enjoy Kennywood Park realize that General Braddock was ambushed right there in the Union RR switch yard?
  12. gsweave

Oddometer:

nice copper job

[​IMG]
  13. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:
    An artisan in our midst. Cool.
  14. gsweave

Oddometer:

Ask him to tie ya a mayfly...

My eyes can't bear the strain anymore.
  15. PARTY BOSS™

PARTY BOSS™ FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer:
    Hey Weave ,Just don't do this . I was at the cabin a couple of months ago showing a friend the best spot to fish . I cast to the honey hole and caught one before I could hand him the rod.....oops . Biggest Brookie I ever caught , and only fish that day. My buddie thanked me without much enthusiasam.:D
  16. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    You know, thats exactly how I used to intoduce women to my friends. They never thanked me with much enthusiasam either.
  17. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Hey, I forgot to mention that a couple of weeks ago I was thru the Petersburg WV area. I checked out the Hermitage Inn and I would definitly scratch it as a posable venue for BYOB. It's buried in town, too small, and no place to camp. Now please don't confuse this one with the one that Old Lion scouted in Bartow, WV. It bears the same name. I have not investigated that one yet.

Dan, I remember you saying something about the west side of WV. Do you know about North Bend State park near Cairo?

http://www.northbendsp.com/
  18. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    State Parks can be tricky....it just depends on the resident ranger's attitude. :dunno

At least it looks like alcohol is permitted, some states don't allow it at all.
  19. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Quote: 2.5.
    Loud or excessive noise, demonstrations, disturbances, disorderly conduct, profanity, public drunkenness, and the possession or use of controlled substances is prohibited.

These rules don't apply to us. We are exempt because we have a Party Boss.
  20. PARTY BOSS™

PARTY BOSS™ FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer:

My ears are burning:huh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.